I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod for Alvey reel?
Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 27, 2008 01:04PM

I bought an Alvey 45C1 reel at a yard sale new in the box. I would like to use it for Flat head & blue cats, big ones. What length blank, handle, reelseat, and guides work best with this type of reel? Do I need to build a surf rod style, long rod? The open guide(?) came in the box with the reel. Do I follow the instructions on the card it is pinned to? I'm out of my depth here and need some direction. Also what line works best on this type of reel?

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod for Alvey reel?
Posted by: Mel Shimizu (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2008 04:04PM

Google Alvey Reels and they have a usa site that answers a lot of your questions. I have built a couple of surf rods in the distant past but all that I remember is that the butt section is very short and a long foregrip is needed for the casting technique of the alvey reels. That open quide is only used when retrieving line. The internet is full of information on the Alvey and you shoulb be able to find answers to all your questions.

Posted by: Perrie Thomas (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 28, 2008 09:10AM

traditionally a rod built for an alvey look like a giant fly rod !

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2008 09:13AM by Perrie Thomas.

Posted by: Perrie Thomas (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 28, 2008 09:10AM

low mount winch and a fairly long fore grip 10-14'
all guides are standard spin apart from the stripper which is an oversized wire guide 50-60mm (2.5') to allow the large coils to flow of the reel unrestricted and the 2nd guide becomes the choker...
length and taper, usually 10-12' and meduim to meduim fast is the norm...
Cheers Perrie

HOTRODS - Perrie Thomas Custom Rods
[www.perrieshotrods.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2008 09:14AM by Perrie Thomas.

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapafg.covad.net)
Date: March 28, 2008 12:50PM

Ralph, email me (christophergarrity - at - hotmail.com) if you have any questions. I'm an Alvey aficiniando, and in building a bunch of customs for use with Alvey reels, I've found that a lot of the stuff that Alvey says that you have to do (like using very long rods, and using a giant stripping guide) isn't necessarily so.

The only really important thing is where you position the reel seat. On the Alvey rods I've built, I like the reel when mounted to be about 8-10 inches from the butt. My Alvey rigs are all for the surf, though, and with a 45C1, you may be able to get away with putting the reel closer to the butt than that.

Once you have the reel seat and grips positioned, it's really not any different than configuring a spinning rod. Use test casting to see what guide array (size, number and placement) works best, and one you have the optimum layout, wrap and finish it. Good luck.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 28, 2008 11:19PM

Ralph,

You said that you picked that reel up at a yard sale??? Man, some body didn't know what they had. I was parusing @#$%& this evening and saw some of those reels at a buy it now price of $350 or better. Just goes to show you, you can get some really great stuff at extremely cheap prices at yard sales. Of course you also see junk too. You just have to have researched and know the particulars about what you're looking at.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 29, 2008 12:49PM

Mel, I did just that before I posted here. Thanks Perrie. Chris, I'll email you later today, thanks. Bill, $15.oo, I talked him down from $25. He told me he hoped I enjoyed this, 'quote' "useless piece of ----", unquote.

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster