I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Rod building mishaps
Posted by: Ron Zangari (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: March 27, 2008 09:24AM

While I was wrapping a rod last night, my 125lb. Rottweiler decided to come in and lay on the foot pedal, before I could reach the switch, he wound about 200yds on the tip of the rod, almost as bad as the time my cat decided to rub against the entire length of a rod I had on the dryer overnight, woke up in the A.M to 7 very furry guide wraps.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rod building mishaps
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 27, 2008 09:30AM

Yes but look at it from the cat's point of view - he ended up with epoxy all over his body. Most likely he was upset that you coated his "rubbing stick" with epoxy. There's always two sides to every story.

Posted by: Bill Rice (---.254.152.35.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: March 27, 2008 09:54AM

OR TWO WAYS TO SKIN A CAT !!!!
Tight Lines
Bill

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 27, 2008 11:16AM

I can't say my dog ate my homework, but on my last rod I leaned over the drying rod to check on something and touched the rod with my sweatshirt. The rod finish was still quite tacky and the pattern left by the shirt was like an alligator back. I used a very wet finger to rub down the pattern, getting rid of most of it without the finish doing anything funny, then let it harden. A quick sanding with 400 paper, a wash with alcohol, then another coat and it looked fine. The wet finger is something you might want to remember as it saved me lots of time by smoothing out the damaged finish about 95%.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 27, 2008 12:31PM

A wet finger will work ... but so will a nice warm lightbulb. Place the lightbulb right above the rod and it will almost always fix the problem.

Posted by: Steven Loughery (---.trapac.com)
Date: March 27, 2008 02:47PM

After applying finish, I put my rod on the dryer and jumped in the pool with my kids. My three year old son got out to use the toilet (which I could NOT believe, I always pee'd in the pool). When I told him how good of a boy he was, I spoke too soon. He returned with a BIG smile on his face and told me that he had just 'HELPED' me with my new fishin' pole while at the same time showing me his 'STIKKIE' little fingers!!!! I jumped out of the pool and ran to my rod to find THREE spools of thread slowly being pulled up and around my butt wrap!!!! I pulled the thread off but left the finish as it was. The rod was for myself, so now it has a little more 'character'. He was soooo proud of himself that I coulden't do anything but give him a hug, tell him good job, and tell him not to touch the 'moving' rods ever again.

Steve-o

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 27, 2008 04:44PM

Shirtsleeve in finish. Kitties in finish. Doggie in finish. Curious visiting out-of-control kid sneaking into closed-door drying room in finish. Blowback from startup of AC in finish. Sanding dust from another part of shop in finish. Finish forxen overnight (forgot to leave heaters on).

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: tony fialkowski (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2008 06:14PM

Came home from work one day and my cat had a piece of thread sticking out of its mouth. Tried pulling it out unsuccesfully so off to the vet it was. The cat had eaten about a 10 ft length of thread I left lieing around. Needless to say the vets bill for the required surgery cost me dearly. The vet said it could have been fatal and would have been if I tried pulling to hard as it would have royally messed up its intestines.
Tony Fialkowski

Posted by: Ron Zangari (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: March 28, 2008 01:25PM

A word of caution on the light bulb method, I had a rod on the dryer with light bulbs on over the finish. I checked on the rod after a couple of hours to find my wife had gone in and opened the window. Well the previously mentioned Rottweiler had done in the screen some time ago, and I had a "fly/moth" rod for cod fishing.

Posted by: Jon Gold (---.snfccasy.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: March 29, 2008 10:24AM

So I do the second coat on this rod and go to bed. My wife and daughter go into my office to use the computer. My wife leans over the spinning, drying rod to close the blinds on the window and her pajama waist string starts wrapping around the rod. She freaks out, and her and my daughter cannot figure out how to stop the rod from spinning in my lathe so she grabs a scissors and cuts her pants string off!!!!! Of course she drops her drawers at that point. She won't wake me up because she figures I'm going to be really, really mad (she is an upholsterer and g-d help me if I mess with anything in her shop). So I get up at my usual 4:30 am (hey, I fish, I can't help it) and go into my office to check on the rod which looks really, really wierd. For 3 hours I just can't figure out why my epoxy has cotton fur all over it. I know it wasn't the cats or the dogs, not hair. She wakes around 8 and asks me if I'm still mad about the rod knowing what time I get up and I've had 3 - 4 hours to mull it over. She starts to tell me what happened and about dropping her drawers, we were laughing sooooo hard there was no way I could get mad at her.

Jon Gold

Posted by: Ralph D. Jones (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 29, 2008 02:54PM

No one mentioned this yet so here is mine to go with cat fuzzy wraps. When I rirst set up my rod building work room I used the wrong wall plug, the 'lamp plug'. When I finished wrapping the rod I turned off the light, closed the door, remembering the fuzzy wraps, and went to bed. The next morning my rod had these pretty icicles from one end to the other. When I cut off the light I cut off the dryer motor.

If at first you don't succeed, go fishing, then try, try again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster