I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Surf Rod ?
Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: March 26, 2008 06:30PM

I'm thinking about building a surf rod for this years Alaska trip. I plan to target halibut from the Kenai Peninsula beaches i.e. Homer, Anchor Point and Kasilof Beach.
I'm looking for blank suggestions, requirements lure weight 2-12oz line rating 20-40# multi piece for transportation purposes. Also what guides do you suggest? Handle- cork tape?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surf Rod ?
Posted by: George Mock (---.altnpa.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 27, 2008 11:00AM

First of all, this is a little like asking what make of car you should buy. Just like cars, there are a lot of different makes and models of surf rods out there and everyone has their own opinion on what's good.

Second, you don't say what weight you'll be throwing. While a rod may be rated for 2 to 12 ounces, I know of no rods that will actually throw that range of payload AND THROW IT WELL. You say you'll be fishing for Halibut (I didn't know you could do that from the beach), so that will require a pretty heavy duty stick. So here's two suggestions for rods that I use all the time and have had great success with.

Take a look at the Mudhole LSB1502MH. This builds a 12'6" rod that's rated 6-16 but the sweet spot is 8oz. plus a hunk of bait. This blank will handle 6ozs. well and it'll also do 10oz but 8Nbait is the sweet spot. This is a two piece blank.

The other blank I'd look at is the Batson RS1418 (Fishsticks4U carries these). This blank has a sweet spot of 6oz. and bait. It can throw a little lighter and it'll do 8oz. in a pinch but it's best with 6Nbait. This is also a two piece blank that finishes at 11'9".

I go with the Fuji concept alconite guides for my surf sticks, BMNAG for the running guides and BMNAT for the tip top. These guides are light weight and tough. Never had a problem with them.

As far as reel seats and grips go, I'm partial to the Fuji DPSD reel seats and I like a cork tape grip.

Again, there are lots of other options out there but this is what I use and have had great success with.

Good luck with your trip.

George

Posted by: Jeff Shields (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: March 27, 2008 11:28AM

You should also look at the 3M non-slip material as a grip. It is really tough stuff and offers a really firm grip, even with slimey hands.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: March 27, 2008 12:19PM

Personally I would go up there with a rod that would be on the lighter side of things. Mostly casting from the shore in the Pacific North west you are going to catch Perch, Flounder, Ling Cod, Rock fish and maybe a smaller Chicken Halibut but almost never a decent one. In this case rather than build a rod to target Big butts that really your chances on hooking one that close to shore is rare a rod that could handle a 25# or less would be more in order. The tides do get ripping up there and so a decent bouncing drift is not a bad thing for all these species listed your just going to have to keep casting as your drift comes to close to shore. I would take a look at the following rod that is a happy medium maxing out at 6oz. I doubt even six ounce pyramid is going to drift much and the savings in over all rod weight will be a pleasure to fish rather than a rod that weighs two pounds.

Rod Blank Model # SU1267
Butt cap: BC22A
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: BST06A12 & BST06A10 split grip EVA
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: CAH22M-SG Threads up Alps Centra Lock seat
Reel Seat Shim
Foregrip: BST06A08 EVA
Winding Check: BWC15
Hookeeper: TCHKS
Tip Top XTCPPZT08r08.0 Alps PP Top SS316
1st guide from tip top XTCXNZG08 Alps XN RRD guide Tich plated over SS316 Stainless with Polished Zirconium
2nd guide from tip top XTCXNZG08
3rd guide from tip top XTCXNZG08
4th guide from tip top XTCXNZG08
5th guide from tip top: XTCXNZG08
6th guide from tip top: XTCXNZG08
7th guide from tip top: XTCXNZG10
8th guide from tip top: XTCXNZG10
9th guide from tip top: XTCZNZG12
10th guide from tip top: XTCXNZG16
11th guide from tip top: XTCXNZG20
12th guide from tip top:
13th guide from tip top:
14th guide from tip top:
15th guide from tip top:
16th guide from tip top:
Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 4.25-9-14.25-20.25-27-34.5-43-52.5-62.75-74-86

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Date: March 27, 2008 02:08PM

Thaks guys
Karry, you are correct that the halibut are chicken class fish.
I'm not looking for monster buts, just some fish and chips. :>)

Regards
Dave

Posted by: Mark Ganrude (---.odec.com)
Date: March 27, 2008 03:08PM

THe 1267 may well suit your purposes- I just finished building one but it is along the line of a light plugging rod, rated 2-6 oz, but more than 4 is a load for it.

You didn't mention total length. The 1267 is 10' 6".

If your looking for something a little longer you might check into the Daiwa Ballistic Surf models. THey are easy to travel with, as they are in 3 equal sections, and they have 3 models to choose from starting from the lighest, rated 2- 10, then 4- 12 and finally 6-16.

All 3 are I believe 13'3" in total length. I have built on all of them, they build easy, have a metal cap reinforced ferrule ( no ferrule wraps necessary) and are a nicely painted deep red in color blank.

They are as far as I know one of the few 3 piece blanks for easy travel, yet assemble into a full fledged surf rod for heavy bait and distance casting.

There is a number of other options for 13' and longer rods, but they are all 2 piece that I know of.

Date: March 27, 2008 04:08PM

Thanks for the info Mark.

Regards
Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster