I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

TFO TiCrX 10# line - a little off topic
Posted by: Ben Hurlstone (202.83.73.---)
Date: March 26, 2008 02:16AM

hey,
getting some gear together and being new to this i dont know a great deal. my problem is i have a tfo ticrx 10weight blank im building up atm but i know sh1t all about choosing the right weight line for the rod. now these tfo's are a pretty brute like stick and probably have a true line rating much higher that what is stated on the blank, thats my dilema. should i over-line and if so by how much??

does anyone own a TFO TiCrx 10 weight that you have played around with lines on etc as i have a pretty tight budget and cant afford to buy a few lines to try!! btw looking at getting an inter tarpon taper

thanks for your help!

Ben

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: TFO TiCrX 10# line - a little off topic
Posted by: James Smith (---.rochester.res.rr.com)
Date: March 26, 2008 06:13AM

Ben, I built up that same blank last year. It casts the newer Cortland Tarpon 10 wt. intermediate tip line line like a dream. That is, for me, in the situation I was using it, casting to tarpon down in the Keys. I could carry 50 feet of line plus an awkward leader and big fly, in the air and shoot a bunch more. If you go by the common cents method, the rod is significantly under rated by the manufacturer. It casts my 12 wt Cortland 444 saltwater floater nicely too. Try also the Dan Blanton and flyfisherman.com forums (esp. the florida/caribbean section) for a lot more feedback on lines for that rod.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2008 10:12AM

Any rod will cast any line, at some distance. Whether or not that rod will cast a 10-weight line nicely for you depends on the power of the rod and how much line you intend to carry past the rod tip most of the time.

If you can run the Common Cents System ERN number on the rod, I can pretty much tell you what lines at what distances are going to work best for you. But I would need that relative power number before I could comment on which lines would be best.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 26, 2008 10:41AM

Tom,
ERN 14.55, AA 76 degrees.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 26, 2008 10:50AM

Going by that number, that rod will certainly cast a 10-weight line, but will do it best at longer distances (which is what it was likely designed for). If you wanted to upline by 1 or even 2 line sizes to ease your casting at average distances of say, 30 to 60 feet by all means do so. If you're punching out very long distances, then I'd stick with a 10 or perhaps an 11-weight line.

The very fast taper means that you won't be out of luck with a 10-weight line even in a little closer, because you'll be able to cast off the tip, so to speak. But if I were you, and I'm only assuming what you're going to be doing with this rod, I'd go with an 11 or 12-weight line and I think you'll be quite happy.

One thing that tends to throw monkey wrench in things nowadays, is that many of these lines no longer hold to the AFTMA line rating specifications. Many lines labeled "10-weight" now weigh as much over their forward area as older 11-weight lines used to. Many are also built around "half weights" and are actually heavier than what their AFTMA number would indicate.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster