I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinnerbait blank recommendation
Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2008 11:27AM

I've searched the archives to no avail... Hoping for some help choosing a quality, designated spinnerbait-only casting blank - 7', med/ XF. Thanks for suggestions, appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinnerbait blank recommendation
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2008 12:13PM

You might want to look at G Loomis SB811 or SB812 blanks.

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.fsepg.com)
Date: March 25, 2008 12:16PM

The blank I love for spinnerbaits is the St Croix 4C68MXF. It is not 7 foot, but 6-8, but for working a spinnerbait in and around cover, it makes a great casting rod. It is labeled as a topwater blank, but works great for spinnerbaits.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2008 12:58PM

Mike,
I would second Mike Sleddons recomendation. The rod is only 6-8, if you really wanted to you could extend the blank to 7'. But that blank is very nice for spinnerbaits.

Date: March 25, 2008 01:05PM

Thanks Jim, Mike, & Scott - Spinnerbait blanks are new terrritory for me, I really appreciate your suggestions! Thank you - I was hoping for some model recommendations in the St. Croix lineup, I've always enjoyed building on their 3 and 4 series of blanks. Many Thanks again, Mike.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2008 01:23PM

Mike - They make that XF blank in SC3, SC4 and SC5 ... 3C68MXF, 4C68MXF and 5C68MXF. It is a very nice blank and it is really fast. Currently, I am building one of the SC3 models with a 5" extension. This rod is going to be a light "jigging" rod for inshore use - specifically, pompano. The new SC3 models are quite the deal with the 2008 inclusion IPC ... one tough and light stick.

Date: March 25, 2008 01:40PM

Agreed Jim, thanks! The SC3 series have been my #1 favorite cast/spin/fly blanks to build on through the years. I spend 90% of my personal fishing jigging for lake trout using those blanks (plus one from the SC4 line) and have been very, very pleased with them

(...another positive, about any thread color goes well on the SC3's!) Thanks again, Mike

Posted by: Josh Dinklage (---.crarc.org)
Date: March 25, 2008 02:35PM

I know you said XF, but I wouldn't want to throw my spinnerbaits with a SC XF blank. I recommend in 7 foot, the SC370MHM for 1/4 to 3/8 spinnerbaits and the SC370HM for 1/2 to 3/4 spinnerbaits.

Posted by: Bill Tune (---.wasco-inc.com)
Date: March 25, 2008 04:27PM

Another couple to look at would be the Croix 4C70MHF which is a lot closer to x fast than fast and the 4C63MF. The MH is rated 3/8 - 1 ounce.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 25, 2008 08:07PM

Castaway XP3 Task Specific Bass Blanks:

823 Multi Modulus Spinnerbait Medium
6' 10"
12 - 25 lb
3/8 - 3/4 Oz
Medium
Tip 5.5
Blank Wt 2.1 Oz

822Multi Modulus Spinnerbait Med/Lite
6' 10"
8 - 14 lb
1/4 - 1/2 Oz
Medium Lite
Tip 5.0
Blank Wt 2.0 Oz

Match one of these spinnerbait blanks up with the Castaway Fully Exposed Seat and a Swampland split grip.

Contact Swamplandrods@msn.com - availiabe for immediater delivery.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2008 02:24PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: March 26, 2008 12:04PM

Rainshadow IMB843 has been a favorite for years. This set up features the SS316 Forecast RRD single foots and light XN Alps guides as well as the Foprecast Exposed trigger seat.
Rod Blank Model # IMB843
Butt cap: evabc20
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: RG9A-345
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: GTB16C-13.5-TC
Reel Seat Shim
Foregrip: fg25a-250
Winding Check: bwc11
Hookeeper: tchks
Tip Top XTCPPZT06R05.5
1st guide from tip top XPTCFZG06
2nd guide from tip top XPTCFZG06
3rd guide from tip top XPTCFZG06
4th guide from tip top XPTCFZG07
5th guide from tip top: XPTCFZG08
6th guide from tip top: XPTCFZG10
7th guide from tip top: XTCXNZG12
8th guide from tip top: XTCXNZG16
9th guide from tip top:
10th guide from tip top:
11th guide from tip top:
12th guide from tip top:
13th guide from tip top:
14th guide from tip top:
15th guide from tip top:
16th guide from tip top:

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: March 26, 2008 09:48PM

I like throwing my smaller spinnerbaits (i.e. up to 3/8 oz.) on the 3C68MXF. But, if I'm going to throw big blades all day, I'd rather use the 3C70MHM (or 3C66MHM). The moderate action, along with a spiral wrap, takes some of the pressure off of my wrist.

I would agree, though, that the 3C68MXF is about the finest stick around, for any number of applications. And, if I had to direct exact casts to cover with a spinnerbait, I'd choose the 3C68MXF over the 3C70MHM.

Date: March 27, 2008 11:08AM

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the recommendations. (It's really tough to decide on a blank from a catalog description!) Again, really appreciated, Mike

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 27, 2008 11:24AM

I recently made a Loomis SB812, and I am very pleased with it, not only for how it fishes, but how it looks. It is one classy rod. I did a simple spiral wrap and used Gudebrod Olive without color preservative, and it almost matches the color of the rod blank, a beautiful glossy olive/bronze color. With burl cork, split grip, a little metallic gold trim, it is an elegant, understated, beauty.

It has plenty of backbone,and I am looking forward to using it on King Salmon this fall-should handle them well and cast well also.

Date: March 27, 2008 12:46PM

Thanks Michael, that blank is one of my top picks right now...appreciate your comments

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster