I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Rod Balancing kit
Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: March 26, 2008 09:06AM

Alex ¾ oz is about right for the threaded bumper and insert. I only recommend using the bumper if you intend to use the full balance system, or if the ¾ oz will give you the feel that you are looking for, there are lighter ways to end a grip. I have a couple of rods with just the bumper and they feel great, but generally on lighter rods I use a rubberized cork butt ring. I am in the process of changing over to carbon skinned grips so I will probably use an EVA butt ring if I am not using the balance kit. If I was having new parts tooled I might design a system with an aluminum or plastic insert and bumper, it does make an attractive and functional butt cap.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 26, 2008 02:11PM

Chris,

I'm not upset. I actually enjoy these intelectual discussions.

I also get your 'point' but I believe it's just wrong from a physics standpoint. You speak of the 'feel', but that is just a personal perception.

Adjusting the reel forward is fine, up to a point, but moving the reel forward will eventually shorten the useable length of the rod, and for many that long rod length is sort of the point of building the rod in the first place.

If you have to add weight to get your rod to hold in a static 'balanced' point at, say, 10 o'clock, you still have to 'hold up' that weight. You'll need 'more weight' to get the rod to this point than you would if you did the 'level' balance thing. Remember that the fulcrum in this lever senario is YOU. While the rod may 'feel' lighter in that one position, it isn't actually lighter, it's heavier than it has to be. Every time you move it, cast it, fight a fish with it, you have to start, stop, and manage that extra weight. Even an extra 1/2 ounce will be very noticable at the end of a long day.

Remeber that EVERY rod will static balance at exactly 12 o'clock, why not just hold the rod directly vertical and lose all that added weight?

I know that this whole 'balance' thing sounds seductive. It's the sirens song luring your best efforts onto the rocks of fantasy. It's just not possible.

Weigth robs sensitivity, degrades performance, raises fatigue.

Build it light. It will fish better that way EVERY time.

I'm still waiting for any evidience that it's possible to have 'balance' in a fishing rod while it's being used.

Buddy

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2008 02:39PM

For those that subscribe to RodMaker - read my article on this subject - for those that don't subscribe, listen to Buddy. However, if a client insists on a balanced rod - do it. I mean use the Do-It mold I designed (RBW-6-112). It will make weights for balancing that fit exactly in the butt of the rod and make the process simple.

Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: March 26, 2008 05:31PM

Rich, what issue is that in?

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2008 06:10PM

V6 #6 p18

Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.209.---)
Date: March 26, 2008 07:56PM

Buddy,
I think we agree on more here than we disagree on. A horse can only get so dead. I am a little disappointed that you didn't show more interest in my comments about catching some excellent Springtime Santee Bass. Now theres a subject worthy of lengthy discussion. Going back to work tomorrow after 9 days off-even with way too much wind and the expected cold front-still got'm good. Back on the subject of "Feel"
I sure had a good one fool me the other day on the blade. Never knew he was there until it was too late. My rod must not have been balanced properly!!!!!!!!! LOL

Good Fishin' To Ya, Chris

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 27, 2008 03:52AM

Chris,

I know we agree on the fishing part.

I've not been for a couple of months, and the fishing is fantastic all around me right now.

Unfortunitly, this is also my 'busy season' for work, so little chance of getting out for another month or two.

Then, I'll get my share.

By the way, on the spinnerbait thing...try a heavier bait. I know it sounds odd, but you'll 'feel' more with a 3/4 ounce blade than you will with a 3/8 ounce one. The fish won't care (size is the same).

Catch a bunch.

Buddy

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster