I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best Guides for a Dropshot Rod???
Posted by: Tony Ruffino (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2008 01:43AM

I just wanted to get all of your inputs and opinions on this.

What do you think are the lightest and strongest that you have or would build on a dropshot rod?

What do you think of the "Recoil" spinning guides, Pros and Cons?

Thanks,
TONY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Guides for a Dropshot Rod???
Posted by: Josh Dinklage (---.crarc.org)
Date: March 25, 2008 02:28PM

Fuji Sic LSG3.5s all the way on a spiral wrapped baitcaster DS rod. The same LSGs as running guides on a spinning setup that utilizes a TATSG10 then the LSGs. Thats about the lightest I would use. I don't want strong heavy guides on my bass rods.

I think the Recoil spinning guides are too low in the 25 and 20 sizes and I just don't like the way they sound with line going through them. I also think the size 30 is pretty heavy.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: March 26, 2008 12:33PM

The following are a few spin specs that I have used and both perform very well.

Rod Blank Model # RX8+S822.5
Butt cap: ccbc20
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: rg9a-345
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: BPSTG16 & BPSTG16C-SN-TC (Pipe seat)
Reel Seat Shim shim16 spin
Foregrip:
Winding Check:
Hookeeper: ghks
Tip Top BPNT06f04.5
1st guide from tip top bvs3tng06
2nd guide from tip top bvs3tng06
3rd guide from tip top bvs3tng07
4th guide from tip top bvs3tng08
5th guide from tip top: bvs3tng10
6th guide from tip top: bvs3tng16
7th guide from tip top: bvs3tng25
8th guide from tip top:
9th guide from tip top:
10th guide from tip top:
11th guide from tip top:
12th guide from tip top:
13th guide from tip top:
14th guide from tip top:
15th guide from tip top:
16th guide from tip top:
Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 4.5-9.5-15-21-28-36-45

Rod Blank Model # ISB822.5
Butt cap: SBC20B
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: RG9A-345
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: GSTG17C-TC
Reel Seat Shim SHIM/17/SPIN
Foregrip: FG25A-250
Winding Check: BWC10
Hookeeper: TCHKS
Tip Top LTCPUT06R05.0
1st guide from tip top LTCFUG06
2nd guide from tip top LTCFUG06
3rd guide from tip top LTCFUG07
4th guide from tip top LTCFUG08
5th guide from tip top: LTCFUG10
6th guide from tip top: LTCVSUG16
7th guide from tip top: LTCVSUG30
8th guide from tip top:
9th guide from tip top:
10th guide from tip top:
11th guide from tip top:
12th guide from tip top:
13th guide from tip top:
14th guide from tip top:
15th guide from tip top:
16th guide from tip top:
Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 4.5-9.5-15-21-28-36-45

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 27, 2008 11:37AM

I used AmTac titans (titanium frame, nanolite rings-slightly less hard than hardest Fujis, but tougher) on a recent spinning rod I intend for dropshot. For this type of fishing you want the lightest guideset (other than possibly the recoils) to maintain best sensitivity.

A couple other things I would suggest, there is a drop shot hook keeper that is open on the "butt" side so it allows you to slide the line into it at the sinker and it holds great. Also works great for putting hooks or lures into it. I cannot remember the name right now-if you want the details and cannoth find it, drop me a note.

For a rod intended for vertical jigging I make the cork in front of the reel seat only about an inch long and taper it pretty sharply right from the rear toward the front, ending in a conical epoxy ramp that is very comfortable for the finger/thumb to grip. It allows you to get your finger/thumb onto the epoxy and the rod blank for max sensitivity for this type of fishing. It is a little like the rods with no front cork, but I like the feel and look of this design better.

Note that for the lightest rods the reel seat may most often be shortened-I usually take about 1/2 inch off them, making sure they are long enough for the reels I will be using, but no longer. Again, the rods look better with shorter reel seats, and should be a little lighter, although the difference in weight has to be minor.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster