I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Jerkbait and Crankin' Rod - Fiberglass or Graphite???
Posted by: Tony Ruffino (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 25, 2008 01:40AM

I just wanted to get your inputs on what you or your clients prefer and why.

Jerkbait and Crankin' Rods - Fiberglass or Graphite and why?

Thanks,
TONY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Jerkbait and Crankin' Rod - Fiberglass or Graphite???
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2008 08:00AM

Graphite especially on jerk baits

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.ip.alltel.net)
Date: March 25, 2008 08:20AM

Also graphite for crankin.

Since it is possible to get a quality graphite blank with the same bending characteristics as fiberglass, my customers opt for the lighter more sensitive one. As do I.

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Conventional wisdom will not open the box.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 25, 2008 08:26AM

Comments LIMITED blanks for crankin rods. (All fiber glass blanks too heavy and not considered)

It is probably a matter of personal preference. Many of the earlier graphite blanks with single modulus construction may have ended up "too stiff" for some of the heavier lure weights for a cranking rod. To build a blank that met the desires of tournament crankbait fishermen the companies providing task specific bass blanks listened to the crankbait fishermen and built blanks that met their expectations. Some developed special tapers and actions required to allow fishermen to easily get the bait to the desired depth, move it through the water at a controlled speed, have enough tactile connection from the hand to the blank to determine the difference between bumping an obstruction and receiving a "bite" and most importantly to have enough flexibility in the blank to prevent ripping a hook from the fish mouth. You will see the terms multi modulus and blends used for cranking rods. Pick up any "blend (graphite/glass) or multi modulus graphite blank built for this technique and you will easily see the nature of the flex which goes into making a true cranking rod. When the blank maker fully understands the requirements and builds a special cranking blank they can be very productive. The "in house joke" at the Castaway Rods production plant is that some crankin guys want to know when they drag over a beer can and others want to know the brand!

For a listing of the Castaway XP3 crank bait blanks available contact Swamplandrods@msn.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2008 08:46AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2008 09:12AM

Bill;
Very well Stated!
I want to know the brand

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2008 11:23AM

It really depends on the characteristics of the graphite and glass wraps.
Many many clients prefer a glass tip, a glass blend or even a modified graphite for crank baits. So many of the pure graphite blanks simply don't have the right action to give a crankbait a good ride.

It is tough to get a straight answer from blank manufacturers but if you read between the lines, and if you do an analysis of the blank from both a size and weight standpoint - it is quite evident that many of the crank bait blanks being sold have some fiberglass in them to get the right response while fishing.

I have found this to be true - even for those manufacturers who are advertising - high modulus graphite - in their blanks. Yes, they have portions of the blank - especially the butt section - all high modulus graphite. But many of those same manufacturers have a composite or all glass tip section.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.ip.alltel.net)
Date: March 25, 2008 01:35PM

Roger

You are correct when you say: "So many of the pure graphite blanks simply don't have the right action to give a crankbait a good ride."

But, there are some that do have the right characteristics.

The ones that come to mind first are the salmon fishermens "Hot Shot" rods. Rogue, and several other manufacturers, make several powers in this type blank which I build and use successfully for all types of cranks.

I think we bass fishermen (and maybe other types) tend to stay in our box too much and sometimes miss out on a good thing just because they are not listed in the catalog under "Bass Rods."

Bobby Feazel

[www.shockwaverods.com]

Conventional wisdom will not open the box.

Posted by: Chris Davis (216.186.209.---)
Date: March 25, 2008 09:39PM

Like the in-house joke. But can you close your eyes and tell when your spinnerbait moves into the sun from the shade?

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: March 26, 2008 10:03AM

Bobby -

Good point about bass being in box. Skeet Reese has been quoting talking about his Rogue rods in several things I've seen.

A fish is a fish. I don't see why a redfish rod wouldn't work for bass. When I lived on the coast I caught my redfish (up to about 27") inshore on red shad culprit worms and baby 1- crankbaits, so I used bass rods, not "redfish rods". I never messed with bait. The blank just needs to compliment the style of fishing you are doing regardless of it's advertised use.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 26, 2008 10:34AM

I thought Skeet Reese fishes for Lamiglas? You look at the Lamiglas rod to blank listing, you'll see many blanks originally designated for another purpose used for many different fish.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: March 26, 2008 12:00PM

Spencer, you are indeed correct. Skeet does in fact fish with Lamiglass, will say that Rogue does make some nice stuff though.

Tom Kaufmann
GySgt USMC

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 26, 2008 12:46PM

Tom,
They sure do, I have a couple rods I built on their x-fast action 5 power 2 piece popping rod blanks that I really enjoy along with a few salmon steelhead rods. Have messed with some of the 8 - 10 wt fly rods also and they are a really great rod .

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: March 26, 2008 03:47PM

Maybe it was an old article that I saw quoted Skeet Reese using a Rogue. I'll find it.

Posted by: Mark Marshall (97.95.157.---)
Date: March 29, 2008 10:41PM

It might be Skeet was speaking of the rod he fishes a "Rogue" type jerkbait, not the manufacture, Rogue. A Smithwick Rogue was one of the early jerkbaits.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster