I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sockeye Salmon Spinning Rod Help
Posted by: John Gertz (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: March 24, 2008 04:59PM

I would appreciate some recommendations on a spinning rod that would work well for sockeye (red) salmon on Alaskan rivers. Some silver salmon too. The blank needs to be 2 piece and will be used by a rather petit woman. I'm told she also likes to fish northerns and I was asked if the salmon rod could cover both. I fish for northern, but not salmon so any advice would be great. I want to keep it light (within reason) and comfortable for her. For that reason I'd like to know if anyone uses the Fuji VSS spinning seat and what they think of it? Also, who has cork grips for the VSS? Guide/line/blank length and action recommendations appreciated. Thanks for the help.

John Gertz

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sockeye Salmon Spinning Rod Help
Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 05:26PM

John,
I would recommend the Lamiglas blank model GLB902ML, it's 7'6", 2pc. rated 6-25 lb. wth a 1/2 - 2oz lure rating. This is the blank that Lamiglas builds it Russian River rod on.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 05:30PM

Oh, and on the same note.............we do stock that model and have it available for immediate shipping.

Regards,

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: March 24, 2008 05:55PM

Todd's suggestion is a good one as when the sockeye are in the rivers if there is good public access it is a zoo. Combat fishing at it's finest. A good fish can have you 20-25 rods downriver in a heartbeat. If it's a little easier fishing than I think one of the 2 piece 7 1/2 or 8 ft popping rod blanks in a 4 power (8-17 lb line) would be fine also. See lots of rods in the 12-25 lb class like the Rainshadow 1026 used also. The Lamiglas GSA 102 2H blank is a good blank for sockeye and silvers as it's a bit softer than some of the other 12-25 lb class blanks. It is built both as a casting and spinning rod by Lamiglas, called the "Kenai Special", also in the "Salmon Moocher" rod. I don't really know why, but I've always liked this blank, has the power needed yet the action, light weight and feel needed to let just about anyone fish successfully for salmon. I always carry a few blanks around as it's a great "ladies rod". The kind of rod that you can give a beginner a pocket full of spinners and they can have a ball catching salmon with little help all day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2008 02:36AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: March 24, 2008 06:33PM

Rainshadow IP904F two piece 8-17 is the perfect all around salmon rod for AK. This spec features the Batson Forecast Tich Plated SS316 VS3 with thin Zirconium ring guides and woven carbon spin seat.
Rod Blank Model # IP904F
Butt cap: EVABC20
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: RG10A-345
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: GS17C-GWG-TC THREADS DOWN
Reel Seat Shim SHIM17SPIN
Foregrip: FG25A-250
Winding Check: BWC10
Hookeeper: TCHKS
Tip Top XTCPPZT06R05.0
1st guide from tip top XTCVS3TZG06
2nd guide from tip top XTCVS3TZG06
3rd guide from tip top XTCVS3TZG07
4th guide from tip top XTCVS3TZG07
5th guide from tip top: XTCVS3TZG08
6th guide from tip top: XTCVS3TZG10
7th guide from tip top: XTCVS3TZG16
8th guide from tip top: XTCVS3TZG25
9th guide from tip top:
10th guide from tip top:
11th guide from tip top:
12th guide from tip top:
13th guide from tip top:
14th guide from tip top:
15th guide from tip top:
16th guide from tip top:
Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 4.5-9.25-14.25-20-26-33-42-54

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (64.122.91.---)
Date: March 25, 2008 01:20AM

I would have to go with karry on this one,
the IP904F would be great.

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.fai.dsl.dynamic.acsalaska.net)
Date: March 25, 2008 02:30AM

Hi John,

The advice given so far is all good..... but it really depends on where you will be fishing. Some rivers up here have a lot of fishing pressure and current too.- think of the Kenai - a popular tourist destination. In those cases the heavier rod is good advice for taking care of business without offending those around you. For many other locations it would be way over kill and totally unnecessary for the species you are building for. The Batson advice is the way to go in a great many locations. AK is such a vast place that terrific advice for the Kenai might not apply elsewhere.

It also might shape your thinking to consider if this is a once in a lifetime trip and you want to take no chances catching a fish vs lots of fishing experience with similar sized critters.

If the rod will be used in a remote fly in bush location, consider surfing the net to find fishing lodges in the area. Many are responsive to trip planning requests like yours and will provide you with the best in local info. Again though, be specific as to your experience and interests. What the guides use for fun vs what the clients are given to use to ensure success can be vastly different!

If you are coming up, shoot me an email to tell me your travel plans and I'd be happy to steer you as best I can.

Pesco Ergo Sum

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 25, 2008 05:29AM

For Sockeye fishing both rods recommend by Todd and Kerry are excellent rods for the AK. Russian river. But if you are also going to fish the Kenia you well need a heavier rod. The Kenia is home of huge Chinook aka King salmon. These guys want to head for the bottom and sulk.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: John Gertz (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: March 25, 2008 08:24AM

Thank you all for the great advice, this has narrowed my search a lot. I'll take a close look at all the recommendations. When I was approached about doing this rod I was told the sockeye fishing was combat fishing so I have good advice here. Thanks again.

John Gertz

Posted by: Moushka Wells (---.gci.net)
Date: March 26, 2008 09:29PM

I've been fishing Alaskan rivers for well over 20 years including the Kenai, Russian and other popular sport fishing rivers, both from the bank and in my river boat. I'm a small person and have never needed more than a 17lb test medium rod for reds or silvers. My favorite rods are a lot lighter than that (12 and 15 pound line). That includes combat fishing. You see a lot of people fishing with a heavy club and they tire quickly between the weight of the rod and current. If you want your wife to have a good time and enjoy fishing listen to Kerry and Bill.

Moushka

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster