I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tennessee Texalium Handle
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 04:46PM

Just posted a photo of my first Tenn. handle built on a Texalium tube and wrapped on with "E" size thread. Takes a while to wrap even after removing the reel handle and spool. didn't remove the bail.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tennessee Texalium Handle
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 06:25PM

Looks good Jay!
I don't remove the bail either.
Have you a chance to fish it yet?

Unless you just like the look? There is really no need to use size E thread. I use size A, and have never had a failure.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 06:27PM

SWEET, Jay!!!! I really like it!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: March 24, 2008 07:23PM

Can you counterbalance it while you wrap it to make it turn easier??

Date: March 24, 2008 07:28PM

Thanks Mike.
Steve ; I built it for my brother-in-law who lives in Georgia. He wanted a green one and that's exactly what he got. I never fished it but it felt good in the hand. He picked it up Sat.
I used "E" thread because I figured it would be a little quicker and I would be less apt to break it while trying to wrap around the reel. I'm sure "A" thread would serve the purpose just as well as "E".

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: March 24, 2008 07:35PM

John, you certainly could. You could counter balance with another reel if you could get it out of your way. I used a hand wrapper and had her strapped down pretty tight with velcro straps. I had 4 "V" racks on a 48" wrapping jig and had her strapped in each rack. The reel would stand out horizontally and not drop, that's how tight it was. It really wasn't hard to do, just takes a while.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: March 24, 2008 09:07PM

Jay;
Your thoughts on size E thread make sense, but the only threads I’ve had problems breaking have been metallics. Every time I do one in metallic I tell my self I won’t do another, then after I’m finished. They look so good I end up doing the next one in metallic.
I’m hoping the Fish Hawk metallics will solved the breakage problems. I stretched them playing around, and they seem to be a lot stronger then the other metallics I’ve used.

I noticed that it looks like you did not prep the reel feet, using the E size thread may make it easier to wrap up the ridge. When I’ve tried it with A thread it caused to many problems which is why I started prepping mine.

I hope your brother in law appreciates how much work you put into that rod for him!

I’ve never used a counter balance to wrap my reels on, however just recently have been loaned a devise built just for that purpose. But all I’ve built for the last few weeks have been bait casters.
After I’ve used it, if the owners don’t mind I will post the results of how it works.

Date: March 24, 2008 09:33PM

Steve;
Knock on wood I never broke any of the Metallic thread. I was really afraid I would break the Metallic. Not so much worried about the "E".
I did grind the reel feet down real sharp, just like I do a guide foot. The angle was quite steep but not so steep that the "E"thread wouldn't climb right up on the foot and stay there. Using "E" or even "EE" definitely helps in climbing up on the reel foot.
One thing I noticed that helps the wrapping and the looks. As you wrap , pack often on the side opposite the reel foot to keep the thread running at right angle with the handle. In other words, as you wrap up the incline, the thread will tend to naturally pack itself on the incline and be loose on the opposite side of the foot., if that makes sense. If you don't pack the thread on the opposite side of the reel foot, the thread will be running around the handle on a slight angle, enough that you can see it.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: March 24, 2008 09:57PM

I absolutly agree with your statement on packing

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.42.117.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: March 24, 2008 11:39PM

Jay, that is a really nice piece of work.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 25, 2008 07:25AM

it looks nice. i am sure your brother- in -law will be very pleased

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2008 11:29AM

JB,
Great job.

However, what happens when the reel needs service or it breaks?
I assume that you will cut the reel off the handle.

Yes, it is beautiful and takes a lot of work to thread a reel to a tennessee handle.

However, all of the clients that have asked for this style handle - have simply asked for an open space where they can mount a reel.
Then, they all have simply used matching plastic tape to mount the reel. Easy quick, and it only takes a heartbeat to swap out a reel. Way to many problems with a thread wrap for a reel mount compared to the beauty of the finished job.

Many of my clients remove their reel after fishing trip, and certainly remove the reel when doing any fly in or trips where they are packing multiple rods in a tube to cover all possible fishing activities. The sad facts of the real world is that a thread wrapped on reel is not practical for most of the clients who use my services.

Beautiful job!!
\
Roger

Date: March 25, 2008 12:08PM

Hi Roger; Repairs or bulkiness won't be a problem in this case. This rod will hang on the wall about 90% of it's life span if I know my client.
I agree with your reasoning 100%. I don't think I would mount one permanently for my own use. Although I do own a custom built that is wrapped . It was built in 1977 for me as a gift. Fenwick blank with a Cardinal 4 Zebco wrapped on it. Have used it very little. I really don't recommend wrapping the reel on for the very reasons you stated.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: March 25, 2008 02:48PM

I have been wrapping them that way since the early 80's. It is the only way a person can get one of my rods.
There are considerations when doing so, so they might not be feasible for every one,
But servicing a reel is not a problem unless you need to service the foot. (Which I’ve never had to do).
If my clients need to? They can bring them back to me for service. But none have ever taken me up on that. Choosing rather to do it themselves, or they have a regular service person that handles their reels for them.

If a reel breaks, you replace it just the same way you do if a guide breaks. If it broke on a trip you can still remove it and tape one up to get you through the week end. Then rewrap it when the trip is over.

Roger you are correct in that you need to know the client base you are working with.
My clients rarely remove their reels, and on the spinning rods I've built them, they never do unless they need replacing. It is also the reason I insist that they invest in top of the line reels, which are built to last.
Like I said I've been building this way since the early 80's and in all that time I've only replaced two. Both of which had been on the rods about 17 to 18 years. Before the reels just wore out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2008 02:53PM by Steve Gardner.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster