I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

first rod
Posted by: Greg Hileman (65.19.129.---)
Date: October 12, 2002 05:28PM

I finished my first rod a while back, but have been too busy to take it out so far. It is a 6 ft 6-12lb test spinning rod in matte finish with green and gold threadwork. I finally got to take it out a couple of days ago and it was great! It casts nice, and pulled in the largemouth and smallmouth bass like a dream. I really appreciate this site. I haven't posted more than a couple of times so far, but am reading everyone else's questions and suggestions on a very regular basis. Thanks to everyone who takes the time to help everyone else out. You are helping more people than you probably realize. BTW, my second rod is 75% and I am saving what is left to get me through the Kansas winter. I can't wait for spring since we're probably done for fishing this year.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: first rod
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.longhl01.md.comcast.net)
Date: October 12, 2002 05:38PM

Greg ....
Sure --- but then there are all those other rods that probably need a little attention... Don't know about the fish out your way but YOU'RE HOOKED! Glad that your first foray was a success.
Ken

Posted by: Greg Hileman (65.19.129.---)
Date: October 12, 2002 05:46PM

You've got that right! I think that the only thing keeping me from building 2 or 3 more immediately is $$. Kids tend to take priority for some reason! :)

Posted by: Pat Barnard (---.bp.com)
Date: October 12, 2002 06:02PM

Greg, Sounds like you are hooked! This is definately the "go to " place for the Rodbuilder. Hang in there and hopefully you will build many more rods before you throw the hook.

Tight wraps,

Pat Barnard
www.patscustomrods.com

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: October 12, 2002 07:30PM

You fellows bring up nice points about getting absorbed in the craft as a winter past time. Since there is less time fishing, unless it's ice fishing, that can give you a bit of extra time to work on custom rods for the next season. One may not feel as rushed, and perhaps approach some things that take a little more time, like threadart.

It's a satisfying hobby where you don't need getting carried away with 'quantity' as much as your quality. Of course complete building of one rod can easily move with interest towards the next. A suggestion to stretch interests out about the craft is take up further study through books or videos or special techinques, contact with other builders, and keeping in tune with this site.

The satisfaction of catching a fish on your own cusom built rod can truly be a memory. Don't forget to take picutes of your fishing outings. Often the picture taken will bring more attention to your pride in the the custom rod than the fish! Showing that special bit of extra handle or thread work will give it a distinguishing character. We have a few hanging in our shop that relates to this idea.

Remember, having the winter ahead for rod building can give someone you know for hinting about that 'just right' christmas present to keep you going for the next rod or two.

Rich Garbowski
Richard's Rod & Reel
www.rodreel.com

Posted by: Ray Alston (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 12, 2002 08:18PM

Boy its hard for me to imagine not being able to fish during the winter. Here in S. Fla. the bass start going on the beds in December and fishing is the best of the year from then until April. I tend to build more rods during the summer when the days are longer. (Gets too hot to fish sometimes.) But the with the summer comes the great saltwater fishing. I love building rods, but have to make sure it doesn't interfere with the fishing..................

Ray

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster