I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Locking Wrap Question
Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 11:31AM

On the Forhan Locking Wrap, the instructions I've seen say to wrap three times around the upright of the guide and then to finish the wrap with three more wraps after the three locking wraps (hope that makes sense). Well, the question I've got is: are the three wraps after the locking wraps functional? Do they add more/needed strength? Or do the three locking wraps around the upright add the structure?

What I'm wanting to do is use a guide for the tip top of the rod. I know that I need to do a locking wrap. But if I add the three additional wraps, it seems to me that the tip is going to look all hoopty (not right).

Experiences? Insight?

Thanks a lot!

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Locking Wrap Question
Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 11:58AM

When you use a guide for the tip end with the 3 locking wraps. If you try to add any more wraps after the locking wraps they will just slide off of the end of the blank. The other great tip when using a guide for a tip is to apply a thin coat of finish then use a dremal to trim off any bit of the blank that is still showing after the wrap. Then apply another coat to finish the wrap and seal the end of the blank. Here is a LSG3.5 used as a tip which I didn’t trim off the end of the blank, it looks OK but it looks better if you trim off the end after the thread. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 12:18PM

Thanks, Mike. That's what I was thinking, but I just didn't want to make a mistake. Good tip on trimming the end. I was wondering about that, too. Probably would have posted that question later.

Thanks again.

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 24, 2008 03:11PM

Rich did a lot of experimenting with this wrap. He tried different combinations and found that the number of blocking and locking wraps give the maximum amount of strength. With less, you lose strength, with more, you do not gain any additional strength.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: March 25, 2008 01:13AM

Aaron The way I understand the procedure is , 1 wrap around the blank, 3 wraps around the guide leg and 2 more around the blank.
That's the way I have been doing it. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. I would like to do this locking wrap exactly like Rich designed it.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: michael prybis (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 26, 2008 04:20AM

The way I had understood this is one wrap before climbing the guide foot you do one wrap behind the guide(blocking wrap). Then you do 3 locking wraps. One locking wraps consists of a wrap around the guide foot and then the rod before starting another wrap around the guide foot. Then 2 or 3 more blocking wraps. I have seen people just wrap the guide foot 3 before making another wrap around the blank. When wrapping around the guide foot you want to make sure you go behind it then come in front then behind the foot again.

Mike P.

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2008 03:02PM

Aaron, Mike P. has it right. If you're using the locking wrap for the tip guide - use the 3 locking wraps and add just one blocking wrap - if you have room - if not - do without the blocking wrap at the end.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 26, 2008 03:40PM

The Library above has Rich's articlwewith good illustrations of the Forhan Wrap.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster