I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Length of ferrule wrap on Z-axis blank?
Posted by: Troy Ketela (142.150.76.---)
Date: March 24, 2008 11:10AM

I'm building on a Sage Z-axis for the first time (8wt 4 piece), and am wondering how short of a ferrule wrap I can get away with.
I haven't seen a factory rod in the flesh yet, so I don't know what Sage is doing.

Thanks!
Troy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Length of ferrule wrap on Z-axis blank?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 24, 2008 11:14AM

2x the ferrule's butt diameter.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 24, 2008 11:14AM

They're internally reinforced so it's not terribly important (if it was, they'd list the require length on the packaging). Some years ago in an effort to be consistent on my own rods, I decided on a length that is equal to 2 times the diameter at the female ferrule. I mentioned it in the book I did for Amato. It caught on and you see that figure in hundreds of posts on the internet boards now. But there really isn't anything scientific about it other than the mention to start the wrap as close as possible to the edge of the rod section. You want to prevent a split out from starting and that edge is the only place where it can get started.

Somebody might be able to measure one of the factory Sage models and tell you how far they're wrapping. If you follow suit, you'd at least not have any warranty complaints from the maker.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2008 11:34AM

My factory XP's have 5- 6mm wraps + a small overlap of epoxy onto blank. I would imagine the Z-Axis is the same.
Herb

Posted by: Troy Ketela (142.150.76.---)
Date: March 24, 2008 01:11PM

I usually wrap ~2x the largest ferrule diameter as suggested above, but was wondering if that was sufficient for the Z-axis since they've gone to a graphite scrim from fiberglass in previous models like the XP. Ferrules didn't look to be very bulked up to me either.

Have only ever had one rod break at the ferrule, but would rather be safe than sorry.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster