I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip weight reduction questions
Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2008 12:31AM

I have 2 questions regarding reducing the weight of the tip on a 6 wt fly rod:
1) Is a thread wrap necessary on the tip top for any structural/functional reasons?
2) How much of the tube on a traditional TT is necessary for support? Can some of it be removed without adversely affecting the strength of the rod/TT connection?

George Forster
Fort Collins, CO

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip weight reduction questions
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: March 23, 2008 01:21AM

I bet you could take half the length off easy as there are some fly/light spin ceramic TTs with a much shorter tube length. No thread is necessary except to make it pretty.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 23, 2008 01:52AM

I haven't tried it myself yet, but more and more builders are using guides as tip tops. A lot less weight and straighter line path

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2008 08:27AM

The wrap on the tiptop is purely cosmetic. You can omit it without any repercussions.

Not sure how much difference there is between a regular tube style tiptop and a single foot guide wrapped onto the tip (with thread and finish) but you could always wrap one up, cut it off and weigh the pieces against that of a regular tube tiptop.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2008 10:10AM

Use REC's recoil tip-top. I can tell the difference between that and a traditional tip-top in the rod's action. Looks funny because it is crimpted, but I have them on 12 rods no prob. Winston used to use them but people objected to them based on looks. Some say they do not survive rough use but that is remote on a 6wt. I would ditch the wrap.
Herb

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2008 10:12PM

The recoil tip tops are very light. Ugly, but light, and I can't see 8' or so any more anyway so I use them. I am not sure I like the wire size on them though. Does anywone have any comments about the thin loops, pro or con?

In my experience, the titanium SIC tip tops are lighter than the std loop tops in most sizes.

And the cerment titanium are very light.

Never cut a standard tip. Thought about it, but decided that the ones listed above are better in most respects.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2008 10:13PM by Bill Moschler.

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2008 12:54AM

The TT in question is Pac Bay LCMST, which is supposed to be a "light" tip top, but the tube length seems ridiculously long, especially for a fly rod with a 4.5 tip size.
I've wrapped a single foot guide as a TT before, and it works great. I even got used to the unconventional look. I was just trying to make good use out of a $7.00 TT.
Thanks for the responses.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster