I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: My First Feather Inlay
Posted by: Kevin Graybeal (---.128.205.68.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2008 08:51AM

Jim, no one jumped on you... calm down. SOP for the rest of the internet is not SOP here. Thats all- nothing more, nothing less.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2008 09:04AM

Well Jim;
You have successfully alianated your self from another gruop of fine outstanding craftsman. Who wanted little more then to asist you on how this site works. So that you along with so many others could enjoy the bennifits of the proffesionals that freely post info here, and share in this fine craft.
Injoy our sulitude.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 23, 2008 09:06AM

Jim,

I work hard and all for no pay. I provide this forum for the good of the craft and really don't appreciate your comments. They're not at all fair nor within the confines of the rules that you were asked to read before posting here.

I have also provided a full feature photo site tagged onto this forum so you can put up all the photos you want in the proper venue where they can be seen to best advantage. Again, another freebie that doesn't cost you anything to use.

This forum has limited bandwidth and thus when you put photos up here it knocks others off, so I ask that all photos be put on the photo page where that won't happen. Don't tell me to spend more - I'm tapped out and this is all I can afford.

Whether or not to use this site is up to you, but if you want to use it you will be expected to abide by the rules. Also, unlike many of the other forums you mention, we're nice to each other here and we don't allow flame wars and that type of thing. If moving up to "2003' requires us to conduct ourselves in a less than civil manner, well... I want no part of that.

If you decide that you don't like the way I run this place and would rather go elsewhere there will certainly be no hard feelings on my part. And if you want to stay here and participate within the confines of the rules that's fine too. If you wish to register on the photo page and use that, please do. I think you'll find your photos will look better and load much faster there than here on the forum, plus they'll be categorized in such a way that they can easily be found even a year from now, something that would be very hard for anyone to find again here on the forum.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 23, 2008 10:56AM

Jim, Keep in mind the very same person that ran the show you that you attended and got so much inspiration and knowledge from is the same person that supplies this forum. I feel he deserves a little more respect. This forum is by far the most friendly and civil board you will find. SOP dont fly here because it creates a hostile envirement. There is not one person I do not want to meet and call friend on this board even though I never had a face to face with them. This is the reason we dont hide behind a screen name here, we use respect and kindness. Also your pics will be so burried by tomorrow that no one will see them,however on the Photo board they will stay current longer and also pop up as a random image from time to time allowing more exposure and comments from fellow rodbuilders. Also many cruize the photos and dig in deep for ideas and inspiration daily,it would be a shame for your photos to be left out of their reach. We apprieate the photos and your participation, just in the right section of the site.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Scott Wetak (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 23, 2008 11:33AM

Is it possible to disable hot linking on this board to avoid confusion?

Date: March 23, 2008 01:43PM

Not from the admininstration page I have. It's not really a problem, it only happens a few times each year but when we ask someone to please put their photos on the photo page we don't expect to be chided in this manner. I know people rarely read the rules before posting here - that's human nature. But I do expect folks to exercise civil conduct here.

Not a big deal, Jim is still more than welcome to participate here if he likes.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: March 23, 2008 06:04PM

For what it's worth, Jim, Fred and Putter.................thanks for the comments.

Posted by: Richard Hahn (199.173.225.---)
Date: March 24, 2008 04:08PM

Sorry Guys ......... but this post really bothers me.

First let me say that this not a criticism but just an observation so don't jump on me because I may not see things exactly the same way.

and ..... I REALLY appreciate this board and for Tom for establishing this board and maintaining it and for the participation of all the rodbuilding GURU's that post here. It is the one place for a beginner like me to get pointers from the top rodbuilders in the country and I appreciate it.

I know there are rules and there must be rules but some of them really don't make a lot of sense.
It doesn't take alot of bandwidth or storage space to post a picture with a post ..... like someone said.
These are kilobyte size files which are nothing in size I've been in the Telecommunications business for a long time so I know at least a little about bandwidth and if you look at the picture section you will see that the thumbnails are small in filesize. So there may be another reason that was not mentioned.

Second, I know that it costs money to run a site but this site has over 50 sponsors (I think) plus the promotion of the shows so there is more money to support this site than many others out there and just about every other website like this one allows someone to post a picture in their message.

What I see here is a beginner like me who has spent the money and the time to go to Tom's show and to learn from you guys and is extremely excited in his first creation ............. a creation that was taught to him by you guys at your show ............... and he wants to show it off so he posts it here .............

And you guys burst his bubble ............. without deliberately trying I know ........... by telling him to put it in a picture gallery with all of the others .......... most of you guys complemented him and were very gentle with him .............. others were what I consider insensitive .......... but in any case you severely offended him ......... and in ways ...... unintentionally ..... you offended me and any other newbie because you in essence are saying that you are really not interested in sharing in my excitement of what I produced with your guidance. It really discourages this guy and newbies like me from wanting to show you what I produced from the knowledge I gained from you ................. I know that you guys don't intend it this way ........... and before you jump on me , just let me say that that is the furtherest from the truth because I have had alot of help from many of you ............

When I read his first post, I was VERY interested in seeing what he did but then I was shocked at the reaction to him. it sounded like ..... "Yeah nice piece now move it to the gallery before you get in trouble" .......... I'm just telling you how it felt .......

I assume that the purpose of this website is for the promotion and education in the art of rodbuilding ........... something that I think you guys ernestly want to do ......... to help others catch the rod building fever ............. but sometimes rules get in the way as it did this time.

I have found alot of help on this board and I've spent hundreds of dollars with it's sponsors and I am starting to build my first rod in 30 years and I am happy with knowing you guys and appreciative of your help but sometimes it is good to just reexamine things to make sure you are achieving all that you can of your goals,

It just might be better to find ways to allow the bubbles to burst with pride in achievement rather than by feeling insignificant as happened with this guy. I know it was unintentional but it is something to think about ............

I'm not looking for a reply or to start anything ......... as I said before ...... this is just an observation ............ and if I offended you then I humbly apologize ..........

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 05:06PM

Richard,

Points well made and taken and in a civil manner. However, and I don't know that this is Tom's intention by letting this thread procede. But I think that the point evryone that posted is and was trying to make is that, he as well as all other new members should be reading the RULES thouroughly (as states the very first listing at the top of the list) BEFORE making a post. Granted that some did not state that as softly as it could have been. But it's not for me to judge, as I don't pay the bills. Believe me, I KNOW how you feel as I have been flamed here a couple times myself, before the flaming party knew the position I was in. Since then we have become pretty good friends. So I guess what I'm trying to say Jim and Richard is, don't let this one thread disuade you from attaining you rod building goals. Keep asking questions and reading and learning. My best to each of you.

Bill in WV

Date: March 24, 2008 05:38PM

Richard,

I appreciate you taking the time to respond, but some of your points are not quite accurate. Most folks don't know how to appropriately size their photos for use on the internet or via email. Many of the photos that get posted here are upwards of 5mb in size. The photo board automatically resizes them smaller (or refuses them) but this forum is not set up to do that. When photos get posted here they slow down the acessibility of the board for many users. That's why I ask for them to be located on the photo page and not here. I'm not sure what size Mr. Currin's photo were, but he agreed to abide by the rules here when he registered so he should not have a problem with this either way.

The first couple responses were about as civil as you can get, but Mr. Currin decided not to respond in like manner. He chose to "up the ante," so to speak, and that raised the ire of others who then jumped into the fray.

Either way, even though Mr. Currin called me an ass (he doesn't even know me and made that remark prior to me removing his photos or even responding to him) and said some very derogatory things about my website, I have not banned him nor chastised him in any way. It takes one heck of a lot to get kicked off this place, one heck of a lot, and while his statements weren't exactly pleasant, I have clearly stated that he is welcome to continue to participate here if likes. And, I also told him that if this forum isn't his cup of tea that I wouldn't have any hard feelings if he went elsewhere.

Posted by: C. Royce Harrelson (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 06:12PM

I have followed this thread for a couple of days, and feel that there are a couple of things worth mentioning. If a person was to visit someone at their home, would they prop their feet on the coffee table just because they may do that at home? Or go rumaging around in that persons bedroom just because they freely walk into theirs? And so on.

It's basically consideration for the other person. But, on the other hand, I guess it is completely pointless to be inconsiderent if you can't show it.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 06:23PM

Richard,

I understand your (and anyone else's) excitement on completeing a project but it actually will get MUCH more exposure by posting it in the Photo Page and putting a link to it in your post.

This way, it will not only remain on file to be viewed/admired years from now. When posted in the post as the ones in question were, it immediately shoved numerous posts asking for or giving help off of the page and and probably denying info to a lot of viewers. In addition, the pix will be pushed off of the page before that many people get to see them.

Nobody will ever agree on the usefullness of ALL rules, but the fact does remain that this forum is, by far, the most visited/used/helpful and POLITEST rodbuilding site on the internet and personally, I think that the biggest reasons are Tom's rules.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Terry LaValle (---.ips.paulbunyan.net)
Date: March 24, 2008 07:29PM

So, lets say the site generates billions of year in advertising income for Tom. And, lets say it only takes only the smallest of any size to post a photo on the main page. It is what it is. Abide by the Shepards rules, or "PFFFFT Adios!"

Folks, the quote from putter is farthest from a flame:

Randy Parpart (Putter) Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great job, Jim.
>
> You'll need to move the pics to the picture board,
> though, and delete the ones here or the post will
> be deleted soon.
>
> Again, really nice job. Terry inspires lots of
> people!

Barkley follows suit with something of the same sort and then the wheels come off the wagon. What for?

The guy lost his composure and that was that. He babbled posts well into the wee hours of the morning. For living in High Point himself and having no charter business, maybe a cup of coffee with the "shepard" to discuss life would have been much more in order.

One thing for sure Jim, as you said "this is sad in an entertaining kind of way". I really thought this was a joke going, and still kind of do.

Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.dsl.dynamic.nccray.com)
Date: March 24, 2008 08:59PM

That was nice, Terry. Thanks for noticing. Most who read this won't remember Putter or Mike's posts...

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Steve Rushing (---.north-highland.com)
Date: March 25, 2008 09:10AM

I think it's neat that this board doesn't follow percieved Internet SOP. I get very tired of people on other boards that confuse lack of manners and being tactless with directness and truthfullness. In their minds boorishness is a virture. I'm glad they have other boards on which to post.

Tom - thanks for a well run board.

One of the happy sheep.

Posted by: Steve Cox (---.client.mchsi.com)
Date: March 25, 2008 09:46AM

Talk about bandwidth getting used up. If every rod builder who has ever gained a skill or building hint due to the friendly and helpful sharing of Randy Putter, Mike Barkley and Tom Kirkman or if any of the kids who have recieved fishing rods because of the work or money raised by these positive human beings; if they posted just a 'Thankyou' and small explanation of how they were helped, room would be scarce here for several days!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2008 09:51AM by Steve Cox.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 25, 2008 05:19PM

Amen, well said Steve!!!!

Bill in WV

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster