I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Intereting effect using Diamondite
Posted by: Scott Wetak (---.dhcp.fdul.wi.charter.com)
Date: March 21, 2008 08:47PM

Well I tried my first epoxy style ramp.I used 5 minute epoxy to build the base.I then mixed up a small batch of Diamondite.I then poured off excess thinner out of a jar of Black gloss testors paint.Mixed in some black which made the finish very very thin,as I figure it would.Decided to let it sit and check it every 5 minutes until it reached a viscosity I was comfortable working with.Brushed it on and let it sit on the dryer over night.It dried To a gorgeous Jet black with a ultra shiney finish.I did notice it took quite a bit longer to set up than usual for me as I checked what was left over on the foil periodically.Again no doubt do to the testors.Did a small butt wrap today and mixed up another batch of finish.Coated over the wrap and the black colored finish. Here's the results. Are these air bubbles?They look gray to me.I don'y think they are.[www.rodbuilding.org]
I'd like to point out that I used the exact same batch of finish to re-coat a size 30 guide and it is crystal clear.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Intereting effect using Diamondite
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2008 08:50PM

Looks like encapsulated dust. I haven't seen anything else similar that I could attribute it to.

Date: March 21, 2008 09:18PM

No way it's dust.I ramped the fore grip and the upper rear grip.Same results.It's predominatly over the black area which leads be to lean towards the testors.The specs that are in the red wrap are most likely from me working the finish from the black area towards the red.I'm going to have to try and duplicate these results on a piece of scrap to settle my curiousity.I'm a rookie at this and learning every time out:) Looks like I'm gonna get my first experience at marbling lol.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 21, 2008 10:21PM

Scott, have you used a magnifier or head visor to get really up close to make sure it's not bubbles. Looks like a result I got when I used Testors pigment, it was micro bubbles, a chemical reaction between Diamondite and Testors is what I found out was the cause. I switched to Tap Plastic pigments and have not had the problem again.
If that isn't what it is then I don't know what happen, any time you use black any flaws will multiply and really show up way worse than what they really are, same as on car painting any and all waves in the metal will show up.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 21, 2008 10:37PM

I love Diamondite but you can also just add pigment into the 5 min epoxy. I use the Testor's metallics but have shied away from their other paints. I use TAP or you can usually get small amounts of pigment from a paint or hardware store that sells paint. They are very intense pigments and work great. You will need to provide you own small containers, though

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2008 01:16AM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2008 11:13PM

Just to add ... I use paint pigments as well. However, there is a "new kid" on the block - the Diamondite marbling kit. I saw them at ICRBE and discussed them with Tim. IMO, they are the way to go - the base IS one of the main elements of the finish AND it is really opaque and requires very little of the product to do the job. I haven't tried them, but it will be my next purchase of that sort.

Re: Interesting effect using Diamondite
Posted by: Tim Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: March 21, 2008 11:19PM

It looks like a reaction in the surface of the undercoat. During my extensive testing of my new pigments, I found that the pigment in testors once the solvent is removed is unstable and it was difficult to get repeatable results. That is why I developed the Diamondite Marbling Kit. It is highly concentrated and build in a base product that is common to all rod finishes. I get repeatable results every time. It has only been released for 3 weeks and I am getting only positive responses regarding the quality of the finished product.

Tim Campbell
Swifty Manufacturing
(626) 963-1142

Date: March 21, 2008 11:32PM

I'll be making a purchase of that product shortly. As a newbie builder i'm sure my own experimenting has lead to the results I got. If your not looking at it under a magnifying glass it looks like a gray fade into black.My wife thought it looked awsome and asked how the heck I did it.lol.I'll be sticking with this product.I love it!

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 22, 2008 12:44AM

Tim,

Any indication when the other pigments will be released? I definately see more use of epoxy ramps once they are out.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Tim Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: March 22, 2008 01:07AM

My plan is to release them at the West Coast Rod Show. I have a few more tests to run.

Tim Campbell
Swifty Manufacturing
(626) 963-1142

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 23, 2008 09:53PM

I just finished a rod with an epoxy ramp and finished it by wrapping with black size A thread, then applying color preservative, then 2 part rod finish. You cannot even see the wrap and it is very black, glossy, and perfectly smooth.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2008 11:48AM

Scott,
I have to disagree with the comments on pigment problems.
The specs that I see in your picture certainly look like air bubbles to me.
Have you tried using heat after coating with the finish. If you use light heat from a heat gun - the finish will heat, thin, and dissipate any air that may be entrapped in the finish.

I would suggest you try another test case, and then try gentle heat after coating. I really believe that all of your problems will "boil away".

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 25, 2008 05:32PM

Roger,

Curing of Diamondite is hastened with heat or air movement. I would THINK that the use of heat would hasten the cure/setup trapping bubbles instead of releasing them Maybe Tim Campbell will pop in here but I think that he does one QUICK pass of heat immediately after application to help level.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster