I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bass Rods - Technique Specific
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 19, 2008 07:08PM

I was disappointed Forhan's seminar on technique specific bass rods was cancelled at the Rod Expo. :(

Anyone out there know where a good summary description of technique specific bass rods is or care to take a stab at it?

I know what I like and works for me, but I'd love to see something written up from some guys that have much more experience building rods than myself and can incorporate the feedback of many customers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2008 07:48PM by Alex Dziengielewski.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bass Rods - Technique Specific
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 19, 2008 07:50PM

We'll be starting a series from Rich on Bass Technique Specific Rods in a very near future issue of RodMaker.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: March 19, 2008 08:32PM

Tom -- Those should make for some very informative and valuable aticles. That is a "hot" topic in the bass business. Alex -- Is there any particular technique specific rod that some of us could provide suggestions for? The entire list would be someting that would take quite a bit of time to compile. Especially if you take into consideration all the manufacturers/suppliers of various brands of blanks and then translate by brand into each technique specific application. Wow, what a list, just to start thinking about. Throw out some of your suggestions and we'll compare notes. Hopefully I can add to your thoughts on particular blanks by brands for techinque specific applications. Maybe others will do so as well.

Bob McKamey -- Csutom Tackle Supply

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2008 08:33PM by Custom Tackle Supply.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.aik.sc.atlanticbb.net)
Date: March 19, 2008 09:46PM

Great idea Bob! That's what caused me to ask the question. I know I can't try everything out there so hearing what others experience broadens what I think about and consider trying. I figured that out fast at the rod expo seeing all the different blanks.

Any thought that maybe the bass rods are a hot topic because more bass fisherman are looking at custom rods now?

Anyway, here's one of my absolute favorites for topwater:

St Croix 3C62MXF - I use for throwing a Gunfish 95 or similar weight lure. Usually build spiral wrap, split grip. That xfast tip throws a country mile so its great for getting on top schoolers or that long cast in clear water. The shorter length because it stops some slapping on the slide of the boat or hitting the water when walking the dog. I push the SCIII for this application because I don't see the need for sensitivity from the SCIV or SCV for topwater. Not to mention it's close to being a featherweight. I pair it with a shimano citica 100 and you cannot wear your arm out from weight. I would say in the late summer/fall I take 70% of my bass with that rod (I'll throw topwater all day).

Someone else's turn...

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 19, 2008 10:29PM

The bass fishing market is on that many custom builders tend to write off due to perceived warranty issues when dealing twih the typical bass fisherman. The market is probably the largest single market for fishing rods in the United States. Thousands of rods are sold each week targeting the following general listing of techniques. If the correct blanks is chosen the custom builder can easily satifsy the needs of tournament as well as casual bass fishermen.

Shaky Head, Drop Shot, Senko, Wacky Worm, Worm, Finesse Worm, Spinner Bait, Top Water, Jerk n Twitch, Carolina Rig, Crank Bait, Flipping Stick, Pitching, Punch, Grass Rake, Frog, Small Swim Bait, Large Swim Bait - - - - - etc.

Many of the above general categories are represented by multiple blanks with different lure wt, line wt and actions dependent on lure and hook design.

The blanks must be capable of performing the specific task and be durable to permit the angler to use the skills of the technique to present the lure, hook the fish and retreive the fish from its surrounding environment.

The following is a description of one propietary flipping stick:

Castaway XP3 905
7' 6" LINE WT: 12-20
LURE WT: 1/4 - 1 oz
POWER: H
ACTION: Moderate

The one piece blank is designed to "flip or swing" lures in close quarters and in heavy cover. The action of the blank allows the angler to effectively use the technique to present the lure with a soft water entry and vertical drop lure presentation. The blanks design insures that the angler gets full coverage within the desired strike zone. The blank is designed to effortlessly get the lure to the strike area, powerfully set the hook and to quickly remove the lunker bass from the water on the same path the lure entered.

A description of all other techniqies is available upon request.

Swamplandrods@msn.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2008 11:04PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2008 09:12AM

Bill;
I pretty much agree with everything you said except.
“The bass fishing market is one that many custom builders tend to write off due to perceived warranty issues when dealing with the typical bass fisherman”

That may be more of a demographic thing. Around hear most of the custom builders not only build for the bass fishermen, but mostly cater to, or specifically build for the bass fishing market. Even in attending the two large fishing Expo’s (salt and fresh water) we have in NC this year there was by far a larger contingent of builders catering to the Bass market then all the other markets put together.

It may be different down towards the coast were saltwater fishing is king or even in the mountains catering to fly fishing for trout is the norm.

But in the inland lowland area’s builders building for bass fisherman are the majority, and I don’t ever recall talking with one that gave any indication of moving away from the market because of warranty problems.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 20, 2008 09:53AM

Steve there is plenty of evidence on posts on this board that advises custom builders to take extreme care when dealing with the typical bass fisherman. Take a look at many of the posts involving "hooks set" and many advise that if you can not change the tactics of the bass fisherman it would be best not to work with them.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

A high modulus, extra fast and expensive blanks may not be the correct blank for a particular technique. The intent of my post was to take the position that blanks are available that match the techniques without forcing the angler to change his method of fishing. For a custom builder to be successful in this market it is essential the the proper blank is selected that matches the requirements of the technique.

Bob McKamey has spent years dealing with this subject matter with multiple blanks lines. I personally wish he would spend less time on the phone and take the time to tranfer his knowledge base to printed text!

Tom, if you can get Bob to take the time to write a "compendium" of technique specific bass blanks I will place an order right now for an additional 50 copies! Rodmaker did a Throop/Colby how about a Forhan/McKamey Issue! I will take them to a bass club meeting held at Bass Pro and see how much damage I can do!

Gon Fishn

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2008 10:33AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 20, 2008 10:29AM

Bill;
I'm not in disagreement with what you are saying. In fact I agree whole heartedly with the second half of your last post.

But around here from what I can tell building bass rods is the dominate market. I’ve not seen builders steering away from the custom bass rod market because of warranty or blank issues.
Which is why I said it may be more of a demographic thing?

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2008 12:56PM

Bill,
It seems from reading posts on here the builders that are concerned with warranty issues are not bass fisherman, or do not use their equipment in the same manner as their customer base. Myself, I think Steve, and a few others are tournament fisherman as well as builders. I think this gives us an edge in really understanding what a rod needs to do for a technique, and just how likely we are to break a certain blank. Personally, I have never worried about warranty breakage. I build my rods to be the lightest possible for the technique. The blank used for a drop shot rod will more than likely have nothing at all in common in regards to modulous, etc. with a good flipping rod.

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fll.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 20, 2008 01:04PM

Just pick up a G.Loomis rod catalog... the descriptions are excellent.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: March 20, 2008 01:28PM

Gary :
I'd agree with you, but only to a point with what I have seen. St. Croix does descriptions as well on their SCIV series bass rods. Still doesn't say advantages/disadvantages compared to other blanks. Plus how would I know the performance of a Loomis blank compared to another brand? Seems the CCS data is pretty slim on bass rod blanks, so that is not terribly helpful. Doesn't tell me things customer feedback has provided or what people playing with different blanks have "discovered"

Anyone noticing discussions on bass rods tend to be longer threads?

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fll.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 20, 2008 03:08PM

The typical bass fisherman reads Bass Master magazine, where so-called expert fishermen instruct him to lock down his baitcaster drag with Vise-grips in order to punch though a giant plastic bait made from old, discarded semi tires, with a mondo 5X-strong 5/0 hook which could do double-duty as a shark hook! Funny but true.

I know, I used to be one of those neanderthals.... until a genius showed me how to finesse fish with light, soft plastics, thiner, sharper hooks, and reels with good drags... and rods with guides on the bottom (where they are supposed to be, LOL!), so that the drag will actually work (the drags stops working when the line hits the rod blank with guides on top in many cases). Also, smaller hooks which have smaller wire penetrate with less force. Finally, knot strength can be an issue... poor knots can effectively reduce line strength by as much as 50%. So, a stronger, near 100% knot can allow the fisherman to down-size his line significantly.

I now flip with 2-power rods, 12lb. mono, and size-1 hooks exclusivly... my girlfriend flips with 8lb. mono (she is smaller and can't break the line!). This is in Florida, and the bass are big down here. I don't have any 1st place trophies, but I do have several trophies for big bass.

I'll admit that you can't horse them out of heavy cover all the time with the medium-light set up (but it's amazing how many you can finesse out of cover), BUT YOU CAN HOOK AND HOLD THEM, and motor to them and pull them up with the line. For the sophisticated caveman, there is a new invention called a landing net!

This is what bass fishermen need to learn... their tackle and resultant technique is way to heavy in many cases - like George Forman says, they need to cut out the fat. Only then can they use lighter, finesse-style and/or high modulous rods without fear of breaking them. The lower-power rods are lighter and therefore more sensitive.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/2008 03:12PM by Gary Snyder.

Posted by: Richard Forhan (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 20, 2008 03:32PM

Alex - sorry I didn't make the show. I have what you're looking for written down - just not in article form yet. Tom has been very patient with me getting the articles finished. I'm going to be introducing sliding scales in the articles that will cover every element of a custom bass rod. The best rod for a particular technique will vary depending on the angler's skill level and desires. From Touring Pro to beginner - my best choice in each element strays from the beaten path. Which modulus, length, power, action, handle length, guides, and overall design are some of the elements I will be covering. In person, I can talk about each of these elements at length - however, the articles will be short and to the point and cover one technique only.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: March 20, 2008 06:18PM

In one of Bill Stevens post above, he has listed numerous technique specific appliactions of bass rods. He has laid out a good starting point of the various types of these rods. I will slowly but surely compile a listing by techique specific rod type per blank model and manufacurer. Some of the listings such as crank bait, flippin, spinner bait, shakey head, etc, will have multiple listings. For instance crank bait, you have lipless baits, shallow diving baits, med. diving baits and down-deep big baits --- flippin would have the med. hvy., hvy and mega-hvy. range --- spinner bait would have smaller willow type, med. size willow type, mega 1 oz and above spinner baits and the one that is used here where I live, the night-time #5, #6 & #7 colorado, drop bait, spinner bait rod -- shakey head could have a shallow water rod and another one for deep water, that requires a quick tip with a very powerful mid and butt area. Also as Bill mentioned, the rods for various size swim baits now being offered, require different rods per size bait. The list does go on and on and I will start to work on it. All input by you fellows is also appreciated. Let me know what you like best for certain type technique specific application rods and I'll add them in my listing, with credit due the person. You can e-mail me your suggestions at -- customtackle@united.net -- Also anytime that any of you want to call and discuss these issues, I would be glad to visit with you. You can contact me at 931-684-6164.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Patrick Craig (---.dhcp.bycy.mi.charter.com)
Date: March 26, 2008 11:12PM

I am very new to rod building and have been looking for an article about this very subject as well. I have just completed building my first rod (crank bait rod) before building it I researched for about a month before deciding on the components and I am going on my third year of bass fishing and still feel I am in the beginner stages of learning the sport.

My post here is more to get knowledge than give but I do feel I have some good question or statements to give regarding this subject.

I read the Bass Master and Bassin magazine and have found a lot of good information within them as well as watching Hack Parker, Bill Dance, Bas Edge TV shows, Rodbuilder forum, CD’s and video internet seminars you name them I have watch it or read it. I have taken a lot of notes while learning the different techniques and at times became very confused at how every fisherman is different so I pick out the information that I felt would fit my style of fishing which is still developing. Taking that information with a grain of salt and testing, practicing and researching as much as I could on those techniques I wanted to learn. My first year I realized I tried learning to much to quickly so I decided my second year to pick two new techniques and learn it from bait, hook sizes, lines, rods, and reels the hole nine yards while this working on something’s from year 1. What I found was there are to many variables from one angler to another in techniques they use and that is why I believe bass anglers beginner to pro are misunderstood when designing a rob for a bass angler that is clearly noted in the previous posts.

I will be standing I line waiting for the Rodbuilber magazine with this article because it will be another source information I can use to learn from weather for building a rod or fishing with a rod but I believe it too will still only be a starting point. Everyone will modify this information some how someway but that doesn't make them or the so called experts wrong way.

Sorry so long everyone in the post has valid information and I enjoy reading them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster