I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Surf Rod Building
Posted by: Ken Gasior (---.ykwc.com)
Date: March 15, 2008 01:03PM

I plan to build a Surf spinning rod for a relitive as a gift. I have built several fresh water fly rods but know little or nothing about salt water rods. It would be a 10-11 ft graphite capable of handling 12-16 lb test line. Can someone out there turn turn me on to a supplier of reasonably priced salt water components.
Also, any tips on building salt water rods you would like to share would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Surf Rod Building
Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2008 01:12PM

Check the "Fishsticks4U" link to the left. Robert's got a lot of knowledge on Surf Rods and has everything you need.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: March 15, 2008 01:48PM

Ken,
I would go to the American Tackle, Batson Enterprises, and the Pacific Bay Websites. They all make reel seats and guides for a large variety of saltwater rods and their MSRP prices are quite reasonable. They have both all aluminum or graphite reel seats. Once you see what kind of components you want, then use one of the sponsors of this forum such as Angler's Workshop, Custom Tackle, or Fishsticks4U (as well as many others). Good luck.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2008 03:23PM

ken ,
Mark Griffin has given you good advice. i find it amazing that one sponsor recommends another sponsor. that should tell you the quality of the people we deal with(Mark Griffin is @#$%&). Robert at fishsticks4u will be able to recommend a blank and all the components that go with it. he has a vast knowledge of surffishing and is great to deal with.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 15, 2008 03:23PM

RodMaker Volume 7 #1 - everything you'd ever want to know about building and understanding surf rods.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2008 04:03PM

Mud Hole Surf Rocket Rod Blanks they are one of the sponsers on the left.

Posted by: James Reed (---.sal.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2008 06:19PM

Just FYI:

Surf fisherman usually pick their rods by how much weight they are planning to throw with it. The line rating is pretty useless when it comes to surf rods.

There is a huge difference in a surf rod that is designed to throw 2 or 3oz lures as opposed to launching 8oz of lead and bait a 100 yards into the ocean!

Let us know what your relative plans to do with this surf rod and I am sure we can give you a couple good options on blanks!

Date: March 15, 2008 07:24PM

Great advice - I'll check around with one of his fishing buddies (my son doesn't know I'm planning to do this) and let you know.

Thanks, Ken

Posted by: Thomas,Barry (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2008 07:25PM

Good Info From Everyone!
Contact Robert at Fishstix He will set you up

He also has surf blanks on sale in the length Range

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 15, 2008 08:12PM

PacBay also makes surf blanks. When you figure out the weight it'll be throwing email me. Meanwhile, all of the sponsors can and the Fishsticks folks are super and have helped us a great deal.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Shawn Queeney (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2008 08:31PM

FYI - THere are a few American Tackle Surf Blanks for sale on FishSticks4u website in the close-out category. They are half off of MSRP...

Looks like a great deal and may fit your needs!

Shawn

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2008 01:09PM

I can't really improve much on what's already been said, but I will add one piece of information: the more detailed information you can get on what the rod will be used for, and the type of fishing will be done with it, the better. People think of "surf fishing" as one activity, but there are dozens and dozens of different ways to fish the surf, and these different applications require different equipment.

Generally speaking, there are two different kinds of surf rods: rods for artificialing (throwing tins, plugs, jigs, etc.) and rods for bait fishing. Bait rods are virtually always longer, stouter, and heavier than their plugging counterparts. Finding out what this rod will be used for will be your most important task, and the more detail you can get the better. Even if you find that this will be a plugging rod, for example, there's a huge difference between a rod for small bucktails and little rubber jigs (like Storm Shads) than a rod meant to throw 2-5 ounce wooden striper plugs. From there any of the sponsors will get you equipped with the makings of a good setup.

And as for the actual nuts and bolts of building the rod: forget about it. If you can build a freshwater fly rod, a surf rod is no problem (I think surf rods are actually easier, because the components are bigger, and you don't have to work with tiny spaces). Surf rods do the same things that other fishing rods do, they're just bigger and heavier. Good luck.

Date: March 16, 2008 02:34PM

Thanks all for the super response and great advice. After considering all your recommendations, I did a bunch of research, got more particulars on how the rod would be used, then took Mark Griffin's advise and got in touch with Robert at FishSticks4U and laid it all out in front of him. He took the time (on a Sunday) to work with me and we came up with a package of components which should result in a nice final product.
I also ordered RodBuilder Mags Volume 7#1 which hopefully will fill in some of the voids (which are many) in my surf rod building knowledge base - Thanks for that tip Tom

Once again, Thanks Guys!

Ken

Posted by: James Reed (---.sal.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 16, 2008 07:42PM

What blank did you end up getting?

Date: March 16, 2008 08:32PM

Batson Rainshadow 1418

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster