I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lathe turning tools
Posted by: Jim Catrona (---.pitt.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2008 12:40PM

I recently purchased a lathe which came with a 3 jaw chuck, jacobs chuck,spur & live center. I'm also in the process of ordering a 4 jaw utility chuck from psi. I would like some opinions on "middle of the line tools" to use for turning reel seats. Not the least expensive & of course, not over the top. The tools will be, a spindle gouge, parting tool, round nose scraper & skew.

Thanks, Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathe turning tools
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2008 12:50PM

BEnjamin's Best from PSI or Woodcraft, I forget which. THEy are perfect if all you plan to do are reel seat inserts. HSS I don't know the price now, I think I paid like $25 a while back.

Date: March 15, 2008 01:42PM

Thanks Billy. When I purchased this outfit from a neighbor, he also gave me 5 tools that came in a small wooden box. Belive it or not, box says PSI woodworking. The tools have HSS M2 stamped on the shaft. They might work out pretty good although they look to be pretty small. I'll probably get a couple large ones. Any idea what the M2 stands for? I'm new to the lathe. Quality of the steel maybe?

Thanks, Jim

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 15, 2008 01:57PM

Jim,
There are two things that I would highly recommend right away.[woodturnerscatalog.com] Order their free print catalog. Thsi is a great catalog and is an education in it self. It will explain every tool out there. You might want to get Andy Dear's video on woodturning for rodbuilders. Be aware that you are getting into a very addictive area You might want to strongly consider a sharpening system such as the Wolverine.
You will get a lot of help here!

If you need any help, feel free to holler anytime!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: March 15, 2008 02:16PM

Mike,

I already have an idea where this is heading. I got a pretty good deal on a Turncrafter VS with some accessories. Looking into the sharping system and a buffing system from psi along with the utility chuck. Already have Andy's DVD. Funny thing is, when I tried to watch the DVD, my DVD player fried. $70 bucks later my pretty good deal kinda evened out. LOL.
Thanks for the tip on the woodturners catalog. Will have to check that out.

Jim

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2008 03:19PM

the small tools you have are most likely for turning pens. they make a set of small tools to get people into turning pens without breaking the bank. they are probably good tools. if you stay with turning you will probably like the full sized tools better, but what you have will suffice. i use the benjamin's best tools from PSI and they are good tools. you will need a sharpening system and the wolverine is what i use. good luck as you are starting a very addictive venture

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 15, 2008 03:49PM

A word on sharpening - no matter what tools you buy, if you are unable to properly shape them, you are throwing money into teh toilet. I wasted money on Sorby tools, and tried grinding free hand, and using a belt sander, before I just sold the tools to someone who knew what tehy were doing since I dont' need them for EVA and cork. THose small tools I recommended, can be sharpened with cheap $7 files Woodcraft sells very easily. THose tools are NOT for turning anything but small 1" blocks, as previously stated they really are too small for anything except that.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 15, 2008 04:13PM

One Tool tip that Tom Kirkman shared, and which I'm trying to find one that I can afford, is to invest in a Bedan Tool. It's basically a parting tool that is about 5/16 to 3/8 inches wide. But leaves square strait shoulders, and helps you to accurately level sufaces. Thanks Tom for the tip.

Bill in WV

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: March 15, 2008 11:33PM

Jim, The M2 stands for #2 Morris Taper ( #2 is the size). The Morris Taper should be on the back end of your drill chuck or the live center on the tail stock or both.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Date: March 16, 2008 12:36AM

Just find it odd that M2 is listed on the tools. Shows how much I have to learn.

Thanks everyone for the responses,

Jim

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 16, 2008 12:41AM

M2 is the standard high speed steel material used in turning tools

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Tim Kelly (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 18, 2008 03:42PM

Billy, you mentioned Sorby tools.........are they difficult to sharpen? I looked at these tools while in Woodcraft and considered buying a couple but not if they can't be sharpened by the rookie that I am?

Tim

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster