I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Heavy Saltwater rods and reel seat durability...
Posted by: Shawn Queeney (---.arcdoors.com)
Date: March 14, 2008 01:42PM

Hey guys,

I have built a few saltwater rods in the 40-60# class. Both of these had an Aftco reel seat, but not a complete uni-butt setup with a ferrule, etc.

I built these rods the typical way with tape arbors (drywall tape on these heavier rods so there was gaps for the U40 to fit into). I have not had any complaints about them, but I have always wondered if there was a more secure or preferred method to do this?

I guess I am always a little leary about simple tape arbors and U40 holding a reel in place on a 50#+ rod, especially if/when you get a big tuna, amberjack, or billfish on the other side.

So, what is the most durable way to attach a reel seat on a heavy rod if you aren't using a full uni-butt type system?

Thanks,
Shawn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heavy Saltwater rods and reel seat durability...
Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2008 02:26PM

Hey Shawn,

Your leery, not leary. I'm Leary! lol..
I can't answer your question on a big rod like that but I have used the same methods to make arbors as you have with good results. Is the size available between the seat and where it mounts big enough to use a polyfoam arbor? Something like the Flex Coat ones? A recent article in Rod Maker showed how to pour and prepare a poly-urethane material to be used in making foam handles. The stuff that Flex Coat sells is fine but it is easy to crush. I bought some of the 8# foam and it is incredibly strong. After messing up my first attempt an a handle, I put the now scrap handle on the ground and jumped up and down on it. My 200# had no effect on it. Since the 8# foam is easy to shape could it be a good material to make your bushings out of?

Lynn Leary

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 14, 2008 03:52PM

Rigid arbors, or those made from the open mesh glass tape, are fine provided you do a good job in fitting the pieces, preparing the surfaces to accept the adhesive and get the adhesive on all mating parts. Read the online article on how to prepare surfaces prior to adhering. It will help you a lot.

Masking tape arbors are known to work, but for the time involved, I'd suggest using the urethane arbors (even quicker and much stronger) or the mesh glass tape. Take the time to properly fit all the pieces (snug, not tight nor sloppy loose) and a good epoxy such as RodBond or Ultimate Gel, etc. Not PC7 nor the liquid types (the latter will work but is much harder to get to stay put).

Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2008 04:51PM

Shawn

I have had tape arbors fail especially on the gimbal.

I never had a drywall fail. I have tried the big arbors that Acid Rod sells and it is a great idea for the bigger "3" reel seats from Aftco. Gotta lover the colors..

Ernie

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.206.175.24.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2008 04:52PM

Several big name companies still use masking tape arbors and have no ill effects from them in the short term (until they run out of warranty). I have witnessed this first hand on quite a few of the lower end major offshore companies.

From this idea, I suspect you will be fine using the mesh tape just as I do. I have done many 50+ class rods with them and am yet to have one fail. It is all about how you prepare your surfaces.

Posted by: Shawn Queeney (---.arcdoors.com)
Date: March 14, 2008 05:00PM

What do you all do to the aluminum? ANything?

I know most seats come with ridges built into them...but is it really enough?

Thanks for the responses.

SQ

Posted by: Ernie Johnson (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2008 05:27PM

I prep the aluminum. Clean with 91 % ISO alcohol and then sandpaper. Then wipe down with a cloth.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster