I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Trolling Rod Roller Guide Spacing
Posted by: John Jong (---.omega12.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: March 14, 2008 11:11AM

Hi All,

For a trolling rod Lenght 5'4" ..( class 50 - 130BL)

Can anyone here teach me how I should space out my roller and reel seat.
1. I need to know how far in between each roller.
2. I need to know how far the reel seat from the gimble.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Trolling Rod Roller Guide Spacing
Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (70.151.77.---)
Date: March 14, 2008 11:27AM

not sure if i understand the question, but if you're building a trolling rod with a butt like this [www.mudhole.com]
then you dont "space" the reel seat....the reel seat and butt are one unit which screws into the gimble.

Posted by: Thomas,Barry (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 14, 2008 05:28PM

The unit lance has shown you is a two piece unit,there is a fitting on the top end that you glue your blank into.Which would increase the rod length to almost 7 feet if you do not trim the blank.

what you might be looking for is a slick butt that sits between the gimbal and the seat. They come in three lengths 8"-10"-12"

[]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2008 05:30PM by Thomas,Barry.

Posted by: John Jong (---.delta57.maxonline.com.sg)
Date: March 14, 2008 09:47PM

Hi All,

I'm not using the AFTCO aluminuim handle. Just using gimble with eva.

Can someone here let me know what is the standard spacing between each roller for a trolling rod.?
Is there a standard spacing for a trolling rod.

Regards,
John

Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2008 01:35AM

sorry john if we misunderstood. but when you say "trolling rod," usually that means a bent butt rod. i've been fishing offshore for a long time, and have never seen a straight butted rod used for pulling lines. if you are trolling with straight butt rods, be sure to use flat line clips on your rods that do not run through the riggers. otherwise it will affect the lures' depth, and in some cases, especially with erratic marlin lures, make the lures jump pretty high out of the water.

i'll measure a rod this weekend and get back to you.

Posted by: Bill Burkett (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: March 15, 2008 03:06PM

John, it looks as though your not getting your question answered. I think that when most of us think of trolling rods, we think in terms of IGFA class tackle. The IGFA rods are longer (when completed) than the 5'4" you have, because they are designed for use from a fighting chair and the length is necessary to keep the line away from the boat's corners during the fight. Also, the blanks for these rods are not multi-class rated (50-130#), but rated for 30#, 50#, etc. So, I'm guessing that your blank is actually a stand-up tuna type, fast taper and that it's use is stand-up (during the fight). Where I live in Baja, Mexico, we fish from 20-26 foot boats mostly and don't have room for fighting chairs, so we use a lot of stand-up blanks for our trolling rods. I'm also assuming that you're going to use the standard 5 guide set up. So, you might try this spacing: tip->31/2" ->41/2"-> 5"->6"->7". Each measurement is from the previous guide's roller. I use this on Cal Star 6455H blanks and it works well. So, try it and put the rod in a working arc to see if it works with your blank. Also, if your going to be trolling with the rod in a rod holder, I'd recommend the slick butt, as it makes it a lot easier to remove the rod from the holder when it's under pressure.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster