I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Looking for broken/damaged blanks for a...
Posted by: Shawn Queeney (---.arcdoors.com)
Date: March 14, 2008 10:47AM

Hey guys,

I am looking for broken or damaged blanks that would make a good tagging-stick.

Anything that is 3'+ in length, fairly rigid, and approximately 1/2" or larger would work. Hollow would be best. Otherwise, material or finish doesn't matter.

I'll be glad to pay for it, just let me know what you have and we can figure something out.

This is what I'm going to build, to give you an idea. Just a simple 36-40" section of rod blank with two EVA handles and a machined fitting on the end that accepts a NMFS Apex Predators tagging needle. I just don't want to buy a whole rod blank if I don't have to. I'd rather cut one down that is damaged already, or just a bottom half of a two piece, etc.:

[img516.imageshack.us]
[img250.imageshack.us]
[img250.imageshack.us]

Let me know if you can help.

S_Queeney@hotmail.com

Thanks!
Shawn

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2008 11:53AM by Shawn Queeney.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Looking for broken/damaged blanks for a...
Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: March 14, 2008 11:10AM

You can probably find a broken butt section at a tackle shop. Or oyu can use one of thos eUgly Sticks that everyone has at least one of laying around, lol.

Date: March 14, 2008 11:21AM

I just figured I'd ask...I would think there would be a few vendors or builders who have run into a broken blank.

All of my local tackle stores are 'big box' stores, and wouldn't sell a broken one if they had it.

I think I do have an ugly stick...I'll have to look now, lol

I'd just prefer one that hasn't been built yet as it will be much easier to make it this way.

Thanks,
Shawn

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.internorth.net)
Date: March 14, 2008 11:53AM

I have 3 broken rods that the post office destroyed on me. I will check the dimensions when I go home for lunch. I think they may be a little small though. Stay tuned.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Date: March 14, 2008 01:37PM

Dave,

Thanks for the reply - let me know what you've got and maybe we can work something out.

Thanks,
Shawn

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 14, 2008 04:39PM

I think I have something that'll do it in our shop. Email me and we'll go over it.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 14, 2008 05:55PM

Shawn,

Check your email.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Tom Church (---.tampfl.fios.verizon.net)
Date: March 14, 2008 09:33PM

Look in a local hock shop. I have found old rods there for a couple of bucks. I strip them and practice on them.

Tom Church

Posted by: Shawn Queeney (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2008 01:43AM

Thanks for the offers/leads guys...keep them coming.

Bill, check your email - I replied to ya.

Tom, I plan to go looking tomorrow. Most around here are way too pricey though.

SQ

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 15, 2008 04:49PM

Shawn,

Beside what I emailed to ya, check with second hand and thrift shops. I have found some really good stuff cheap at these. Also, another suggestion that I gleaned from here is check at your local dump or land fill. Talk to the workers there, and ask them to save rods for you that they might see. Offer to buy them lunch or a six pack. It works!!! Another suggestion, especially this time of year (Spring cleaning) watch garbage cans on pick-up day, and last but not least, yard / garage sales / flea markets. One other thing I thought of, If you live around a highly fished lake or waterway, watch the road your driving for rods that might have fallen out of boats. Just thought of something else, go dumpster diving at the big box stores. I enquired about this at WalMart. The Sporting Goods manager told me that some of the factories just give them credit for damaged goods and they throw them away. He said most want the rods back to study why they failed, but others just tell them to discard them.

Bill in WV

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2008 04:58PM by William Bartlett.

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.theedge.ca)
Date: March 15, 2008 09:47PM

Shawn
Sorry I took so long. The 3 blanks I have are 48" long with a buut dia of .515 and the tip ends are about .300
Drop me an email if your interested.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: shawn storey (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2008 11:26PM

hey shawn have you checked with david mata yet? or nick? i'd bet 1 of them would have what ya need although getting ahold of david can be a pain

Date: March 17, 2008 09:41AM

Shawn,

I haven't checked with Mata yet...but I did get a few emails from folks who have a few to offer me.

Dave, I think those may be a little too thin. Let me see what the ones I have coming in look like and I'll let you know.

Thanks,
Shawn

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster