I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro guides actual ID
Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2008 03:59AM

Searched and searched for this answer. I must not have beenn using the correct key words.

I know that normal guides size designations are not the actual ID of the ring. But alot of posts are refering to micro guides, like 3mm, 2.5mm, 1mm etc etc When said this way is the writer refering to the ID of the ring or the guides model number size?

Im finding it hard to believe without ever seeing a micro guides in person that a size 2.5 guides really has an ID of 1.5 mm or so.

Please someone enlighten me thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro guides actual ID
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 14, 2008 07:33AM

Henry, I'll bring the FUji 2.5 & size 3 guides with me on MArch 30th. I have a spinning rod wrapped with teh 2.5's you can play with as well.

[www.rodbuilding.org]
[www.rodbuilding.org]

If I remember before I leave for work in 30 minutes, I'll try to take a clear photo of the width of the guide on the ruler as a background. Hopefully MAcro works this AM. The smallest guide on the right of the first picture, is a size 1. YOu can see that teh ID of the 2.5 is very close ot teh same as teh ID for the unringed size 1.

Posted by: Lynn Williams (---.natsoe.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2008 07:38AM

Henry,

I did a quick measurement this morning on a # 3 guide that I got from Custom Tackle.
The OD guide frame is around 4.09mm the OD of the guide ring is around 3.19mm and the ID of the ring 1.83mm this a rough measurement.

You can also check these sites out.

[www.anglersresource.net]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Hope this helps.

Lynn Williams

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 14, 2008 08:23AM

Believe it Henry!

I’ve also noticed that on the newer 3mm Baton gold insert guides, the ring is slightly thicker then the originals I tested. Making the ID slightly smaller but I've not noticed any difference in performance.

The black insert guides that Bob at Custom Tackle has are the same size as the originals.

The ID of the Fuji’s is also slightly smaller then the Batson brand, I think Fuji must be measuring the OD to determine their size ratings.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: March 14, 2008 09:41AM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Herny, I actually rememberd for you. THat might be the last time I remember something I said I would do, so don't get used to it, lol.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2008 10:00AM

Thanks everyone, for taking the time out to answer and post pictures!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster