I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Threading for XPS weight kit ?
Posted by: Joseph Barthelt (---.publicisgroupe.com)
Date: March 13, 2008 04:08PM

A good friend asked about incorporating one of his Bass Pro weight balancers from his XPS into a rod I'm working on for him. Does anyone have any experience on a receiver to screw one of these into? I'm guessing I could hit a hardware store and find something, but if someone knows of something already that's good looking, it would save me a good bit of time.

I'm not real crazy about this thing, but it's definitely got alotta weight to it and he loves the thing.

-jb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Threading for XPS weight kit ?
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: March 13, 2008 04:23PM

Joseph,
If he currently has one just run a thread pitch gauge on it and you will find out in a second. I am currently not at home but when I get there tonight I will measure out the one that I have and let you know what I come up with.

Tom Kaufmann
GySgt USMC

Posted by: Josh Dinklage (---.crarc.org)
Date: March 13, 2008 04:50PM

The Fuji weight balance system is cheap and works well as an alternative.

Posted by: Tim Collins (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2008 04:54PM

On mine I drilled out a nylon bushing with a 1/4" drill (which is a few thousands under .250) and expoxed the bushing into the butt section. I believe the threaded section is tapered rather than straight and it will tighten up as it screws into the bushing. I was able to take it on and off rather easily. Good luck.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2008 05:39PM

Joseph,
I think I have a broken Rick Clunn Rod in my shop that had that kit as part of it. Drop me an email, if I can find it I will cutt the butt off and drop it in the mail to you.

Scott

Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: March 13, 2008 05:59PM

Where do you get the Fuji weight balance system? Any pics of it?

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 13, 2008 06:18PM

Not Fuji - not from across the water - readily accessable - easy to fill with lead - infinitely adjustable - cheap - practical - matches well with bass fisherman's psyche - Silver or gold to match trim rings - cheapo - simplicity may be the best choice in some matters. Build the rod - install reel of choice - put it in fishermans hands - fine tune as required - epoxy in place.

Swim bait rod in second picture has assemble that weighs 2.25 oz for a perfect balance on at 927 - you will really get some ones attention when this option is available when really needed for a long day on the water with some of the brute rods used by bass fishermen.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

If their tournament is in question and they are having trouble hooking the fish the option to pull the trigger and blow them out of the water is always an option.

Gon Fishn

Posted by: justin keithley (---.dsl.klmzmi.ameritech.net)
Date: March 14, 2008 09:37AM

i've used a simple Tee nut and fine-threaded 10-32 brass machine screws to replace the missing butts on several bps rods. drill out the BPS threads w/ a 1/4" drill bit, grid down the lip of the tee nut and expoxy it inside hole in the butt. For the new butt section i epoxy the brass screw through a cork ring, then use a rubberized ring on top of it. Turn it down on a drill press and you're all set. I use chrome washers as the balance weights, they are identical to the size of the exising BPS butts.

[img.photobucket.com]
[img.photobucket.com]

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: March 14, 2008 03:32PM

The BPS balance kit uses a plastic insert in the blank and a special coarse pitch thread on the bumper that holds the weights on. I do it with a brass thread insert and a rubber coated bumper with standard 5/16 – 18 threads. [www.rodbuilding.org]

Having the weights entirely behind the end of the rod means that you can get the same balance with less weight than if you are putting weights inside the blank. If you are putting the weight inside the blank as you add more weight it gets closer to the fulcrum (reel seat) and has less leverage, with the screw on system as you add more weight it gets farther away from the fulcrum and has more leverage. Using large diameter weights keeps the overall length of the balance kit within reason, the rod in the photo is a heavy 7’6” flippin stick that uses about as much counter weight as would ever need.

The Fuji balance kit is very inexpensive but it only has three 3/8 OZ weights so they only work with rods that need small amounts of balance. The Matagi system is very nice but quite pricey, by the time you buy the bumper, thread insert and a few weights you are over $50.

It should go without saying that before you just start adding balance weights off of the butt of any rod you should do anything possible to reduce the weight on the tip end of the rod. You will always end up with a more efficient and sensitive rod by removing weight from the tip end, these balance kits are only to make it more comfortable and therefore more effective when using long powerful rods that cant be balanced any other way.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 14, 2008 04:36PM

Tungsten inside of the shell casing indide the butt cap will get more wt per inch than for balance that circumferential chrome washers inside the cap. Much of the total weitht of the casing is flush with the back of the butt cap which is normally 3/8" thick. Agree totally on non use except where required for angler comfort and only on rods that absolutely need it. I find that I am only asked to balance rods => 84 inches and power of 4 or greater.

Lami IMC 847
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: March 17, 2008 01:43PM

I modeled it up each way and my system with 1.125 diameter brass washers weighs 4.88 OZ per inch verses 2.04 OZ per inch for .5 OD Tungsten, the largest that I figured you could get inside a shell casing. It is true that Tungsten weighs much more than Brass, 10.4 OZ/IN³ verses 4.9 OZ/IN³, but the extra diameter gives you so much more volume that it more than makes up for it. I modeled my system using Tungsten washers and they get so thin that it becomes difficult to machine the lighter ½ and ¼ OZ weights.

The real killer is that 1.125 dia Brass costs about $30 per foot and 1.125 dia Tungsten costs about $430 per foot, that makes the choice pretty simple.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster