I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best Book and Tools for thread wrapping?
Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 13, 2008 01:24PM

Hi All,
Can anyone recommend a book or CD that would explain how to do custom wraps? Something that would be a good starting point and oriented towards the beginner. Also, what kind of weaving tools could be purchased that wouldn't break the bank and still be functional and easy to use?
It's time to move past trim bands...
Thanks
Lynn

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best Book and Tools for thread wrapping?
Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: March 13, 2008 01:31PM

[northeastrodbuilders.com]

Obviously I'm biased since I wrote the book, Decorative Wraps. The other book which shows you how to do Decorative Wraps is Custom Rod Thread Art by Dale Clemens.

For Weaving, Jim's book is great, and shows you everything including what tools you need.

Date: March 13, 2008 02:11PM

Billy,
I guess I should have known to go to the NERBS site as you guys are always talking about threadwork. Anyway, butt wraps is actually what I am interested in so I'm sure your book would be a good place to start. Any recommendations on special tools? Since I've never done this kind of thing I don't really understand how you keep track of all of the different threads. I've seem pictures of the Wonder Weaver and some of the cheaper devices but how you use them is still uncertain to me. Thanks for your reply!
Lynn

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.georgewall.com)
Date: March 13, 2008 02:35PM

Lynn, the wonder weaver is for weaving where you need a loom. Cross wraps require no loom just some tape to secure the thread before it is tied down. Billy`s book will get you where you need to be. It is easy to follow and written in plain english(with a NY accent). Jump in head first and ask questions as you need to.It gets addicting!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Jim Upton (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: March 13, 2008 03:05PM

Lynn; The Wonder Weaver is used in much the same manner as other weaving looms but will let you weave on multiple axes or 360 degrees. It comes with a CD that can be purchased separately and shows you how to set it up and use it.

Date: March 13, 2008 03:32PM

Guys,
Thanks for all of your inputs. I will probably start off with Billy's book as I was just trying to add some class to my rods without breaking the bank on equipment. I can handle tape. Handling that New York accent might prove to be challenging but the plain English part gives me some hope!

Thanks Very Much
Lynn

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: March 13, 2008 03:44PM

Special tools - you'e gonna need a packing tool of some kind. Some use thumbnails, some use the white thing from Flex Coat. I'm getting packing tools made for me to sell, but that is a bit of a ways off.

HEre is a thing I put together, which kind of gives you an idea how a wrap is built. My book is laid out pretty much in the same format, with digital pictures for VisualWRap of the pattern being built: [visualweave.com]

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.)
Date: March 13, 2008 04:03PM

Tom Kirkman\'s book has the best basic Diamond wrapping instructions I\'ve seen. Boyd Pfeiffers instructions are a close second. Flex Coat offers some little instruction flyers for several basic wrapping patterns.

The other ones mentioned here are VERY good but not really aimed at the beginner IMO.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 13, 2008 09:36PM

A dental pick works great when straighting out an aligning crossed threads.
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster