I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

best guides for 6'1 light action rod?
Posted by: Miles Miller (216.185.235.---)
Date: March 12, 2008 11:53AM

i am new to making rods and i dont know what guides are the lightest. i think they are the titanium framed ones right? i want to know what guides and what size of guides i need for a 6'1 light action scII rod. it came as a 6'6 but i cut down 5 inches.
im also using a BPS Pro Qualifier 1000 reel for it. the spool on this reel is wider than most 1000 reels. its actually as wide as a 2500 reel.
i want to make this rod as light as possible ofcourse, and im using flourocarbon so i dont think i need high quality inserts on the guides.
any thoughts would be appreciated! thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: best guides for 6'1 light action rod?
Posted by: Chase Foster (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2008 12:25PM

I just built an ultra light rod this weekend using our A-Frame NCA guides on a 6' 1pc . Our Titan Spinning Guides are the same height, so it should work well for you too.
I ended up using sizes 25,16,10,8,7,6. I did some test casts last night with a little shakespeare microspin reel and I was very happy with the results.
If you are interested, the model number on our Titanium Guides would be NIA.
Let me know if i can help in any way.

Chase Foster
American Tackle
www.americantackle.us

Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 12, 2008 12:54PM

Miles,
If I were you I wouldn't spend a lot of money on guides if this is one of your first few builds. Use less expensive fly guides as running guides because they are light and not expensive. Use plain spin guides from Batson's or American Tackle so you can order extra sizes and do a better job doing the static gude placement. I built an ultralight a couple of years ago and used titanium guides that cost much more than the blank and the rest of the components. After getting a better understanding of the static guide placement I now think I did't do a very good job on placement and even though the rod casts very well, I now would have done it differently with possibly better results.
If your reel has a wider spool then your choker guide location is going to be well up the blank. I don't know if this will be a problem for you but it might be something to consider.
Since you are new to making rods the best thing I can suggest to you is to order the several different issues of RodMaker, if you don't subscribe, that deal with guide placement and pracitce the technique until you get it down. The library link also has some good stuff about guide placement as well.
Hope this helps!
Lynn

Posted by: Miles Miller (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2008 01:16AM

Okay well it sounds like i will just go with the fly guides idea and use the 25 16 10 8 7 6 sizes. the titanium guides are really expensive and thats why i was hesitant on buying them. i bought the scII as a kit through mudhole but the guides it came with seem really heavy. i have done some snooping online and know that there are better options, like the fly guides mentioned. Thanks!

Posted by: Jean Scurtu (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2008 02:48AM

If you build spinning rod ,for your rod the best guide are match guides model"M"

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2008 12:01PM

Miles, if you must change them out ... look at Fuji Alconite guides. Available down to 4mm fly guides. They are great guides and very reasonable. Anything past that is overkill and would be a bit mismatched on an entry level blank (SC2).

I would suggest you consider building the kit "as supplied". You have plenty to learn at this point and there is no need IMO to spend a whole lot on the first couple of rods. Take your time, wrap and rewrap, make your mistakes and have your successes. At this juncture, learning technique is MUCH more important than the components involved.

Posted by: Miles Miller (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 16, 2008 10:46PM

well i got the alconite guides. They were not to badly priced.

Posted by: Miles Miller (216.185.235.---)
Date: March 26, 2008 03:52PM

Alright, I put the guides on the rod with surgical tubing to do the static placement thing, and it went good. When I look at the rod, though, it doesn't look right. With the bottom two guides being spinning guides and the others being fly gudies. the jump from the spinning guides to the fly guides seems like it will dampen my casting distance. the spinning guides have a long arm and the fly guides have no arm at all. I got the 25 and 16 size spinning guides and then the 10, 8, 7, and 6 size fly guides. It may just be me looking at the rod. I just want to make sure I am doing the right thing before I epoxy them. Thanks.

Posted by: Miles Miller (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: March 26, 2008 06:19PM

bump

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster