I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Paint as an "under wrap"
Posted by: Bob Riggins (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2008 02:17PM

Not liking color preserver, I have had the thought of painting the area under the wraps on dark blanks. As you know, most thread wraps tend to disappear on dark blanks. I tried a metalic silver paint under royal blue wraps on a practice blank and it turned out very nice. Has anyone ever tried this and how did it turn out?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Paint as an "under wrap"
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 11, 2008 02:18PM

I often do it when working with light colored thread even though I use CP 99.5% of the time.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (70.151.77.---)
Date: March 11, 2008 04:27PM

i know drew thompson paints over his guide wraps. pretty wild stuff

Posted by: Terry Reece (---.nets.nemais.navy.mil)
Date: March 11, 2008 04:35PM

Other than something like an automotive lacquer, what kind of paint is good for this?

Posted by: Kyle Ligon (---.austin.res.rr.com)
Date: March 11, 2008 04:40PM

I have thought about paint as under wraps on my light rods. Any larger rod that requires true under wraps I always use a light metallic color like gold or whatever and it looks awesome. Not being a CP person I have been thinking alot about paint lately. The last rod I did I used met. gold under and red nylon over which gives you a candy apple red finish, and it does look awesome! I love the way you can clearly see the guide feet through the nylon.............Kyle

Ps, Would you use something like Testors model paint underneath? Thanks

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 11, 2008 04:40PM

I've used everything from enamel to testor's

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.att.net)
Date: March 11, 2008 05:49PM

phillipson did this on a number of his glass rods. Just out of curiosity have any of you used reflective mylar tape instead of paint? seems it would be more accurate and less messy and fiddley to apply. its available in silver and gold and probably some other colors. back in the
50s and 60s you saw this on a lot of glass rods of the day.
l

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2008 06:15PM

Larry, I`ve used the chrome tape from pep boys under wraps for the candy effect.Much easier that painting.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: LARRY PIRRONE (---.att.net)
Date: March 11, 2008 06:22PM

phillipson did this on a number of his glass rods. Just out of curiosity have any of you used reflective mylar tape instead of paint? seems it would be more accurate and less messy and fiddley to apply. its available in silver and gold and probably some other colors. back in the
50s and 60s you saw this on a lot of glass rods of the day. some of it was quite gaudy but i think it would work as an undercoat in a pleasing way.
l

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 11, 2008 08:56PM

Hi Gang,

I have been using white paint under white thread for a long time. My white thread looks great next to a black or graphite colored blank. What I do also is to coat the 2 or 3 coats of white paint with Flex Coat CS/CP.

What this does is place a hard coat over the paint so that when you pull the loop thru to lock the thread you do not leave a line behind. With just paint the pull thru loop scores the paint.

I do suggest using a close color to the thread as the paint.

I have read recently of builders wrapping silver thread under the underwrap. They say it looks great. I am surprised that I did not think to try that as my father taught me to use silver paint over a stain when I needed to hide the stain. I would place a coat of finish over the silver thread and then dry brush the excess finish off the wraps.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.36.228.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: March 11, 2008 11:49PM

I do FW rods, most of them light, so I've gotten away from underwraps entirely. If I want the look, I do false underwraps. Like Mike B though, it is a rare wrap that doesn't get CP and that is only if I want a transluscent effect (after a couple of years of testing with water intrusion and strength, I've found that there is really no downside to using CP.. numbers, not word of mouth theory... including the idea that epoxy penetrates thread... it doesn't). If I I am using lighter thread, I paint the wrap area with a quick spray of white. I have also used white-out tape with good effect in a pinch, and have also used silver and gold mylar wrapping paper. They all work well. If you are using light thread, the point is to lighten the blank that you are wrapping over, no matter what the technique.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster