I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blue ringed guides
Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: March 11, 2008 11:14AM

Good morning to you all. I am in need of a bit of help, I have been working with my stepdaughter on making a light spinning rod that is build on an All-Star IM10X 722 blank. She would like to continue the blue theme of the rod with the guides. She really likes the new A frame with the blue inserts (the frames have the matte style finish on them not the chrome), this is where I need some help. I have not been able to find any single foot #6's for the running guides that will match the new A frames... Is there anything out there that comes close to matching the frame color of the Americans with the blue ring? She is not too fond of the bright crome so I think my options are limited.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blue ringed guides
Posted by: Lynn Leary (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 11, 2008 12:30PM

Thomas,
If you are using the American Tackle A frame spin guides they are listed as a Blue Ring with a TiCh frame. American lists the same thing in a fly guide down to size 5. BZTF-6 should be the guide you need. Hope this is helpful.
Lynn Leary

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 11, 2008 12:31PM

Someone else may chime in but why not try to talk her into the black frames. I have done a lot of rods using the black frames with blue inserts and have never been disappointed.

Also Batson carries the TiCH frames with blue inserts.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2008 12:50PM by Tim Hurst.

Posted by: Dennis Scott (---.dhcp.rdng.ca.charter.com)
Date: March 11, 2008 05:56PM

Thomas,

I built an All-Star with trim wraps of lt.blue ncp, main wrap cobalt blue, mid. inlay metallic royal blue with American tackle TiCH frame with blue rings. Really sharp looking. I think you will be pleased with the blue ring guides.

Dennis Scott
dmsc0tt@charter.net

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.static.stcd.mn.charter.com)
Date: March 11, 2008 07:28PM

I did one with the A-frames and the blue ring #6 flys and I get many comments on the guides. They are very cool! Go with the #5 on her rod.

Posted by: Darrin Heim (---.tukw.qwest.net)
Date: March 11, 2008 08:21PM

Hi Thomas,

I have to say I like transitioning from the BNTA's down to the BTRLF single foot fly guides as soon as possible but several people I have spoken to lately still prefer to go down to the size 6 A-Frames. On a shorter rod like this I would probably go with 2 or 3 A-Frames like 20/12(10) or even 16/12(10) then switch to single foot fly guides like maybe 10/8/7/6, or maybe going to a size 5 and skipping the 7mm to make 6 in total. No offense intended if you already know your prefered layout but these were just some ideas that struck me.

The A-Frames with blue Nanolite rings are only offered with TiCH frames however the TiCH is darker then a shiny chrome finish, if this makes any difference. These guides in particular are a favorite of mine in any configuration, hope she tries them and likes them. Thank you for considering them.

Darrin Heim
American Tackle Company

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 11, 2008 10:20PM

I have a set of BUDUG dfbl-ft guides in sizes 16, 12, 10, and 8, black frame. Email me if you want to consider them.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: March 12, 2008 08:47AM

thanks for all of the great suggestions and advice guys!! I am going to try and order them today before I take off for my tournament this evening. Russ, thank you VERY much for the offer, I do think that I will decline though. I have a set of the double foots in both the black and tich as well. I also have some size 16 pac bay sic's that are in the way too. I really don't think that I will ever use something as big as the 16 for what I build. I believe that I have 3 of the pac bays and either 2 or 3 of the black and tich's as well. If anyone may be interested give me a shout and I will drop them in the mail. Chuck after I pulled my head from my fanny and realized that the "A" frames were TICH (with a little help from Lynn) I too noticed that they come in size 5! I will definately be using these for her. This should make a nice compliment to the Shikari that we just built for her in her schools colors!!! The handle I picked up at the show is one of the black and blue camo eva pieces, although this is certainly not my preferred choice, who cares as long as she likes it. It should be fun getting her out on the water with them this summer.

thanks a ton guys!
Tom Kaufmann
GySgt USMC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster