I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Burkheimer 3wt
Posted by: Gavin Schar (---.cache.isnet.net)
Date: March 11, 2008 09:06AM

Tom,

I see that you uploaded the CCS data for a CFB383-2 Burkheimer 3wt. I have heard some good things about Burkheimer blanks. Did you build the blank up? If so how did it perform on the water. What were its strong points vs weak points (if any)? How does it rate amongst your top 5 small stream rods?

Do you think it will be suitable for what I am after - see my post "winston boron iix" a few days ago!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Burkheimer 3wt
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 11, 2008 11:07AM

I hadn't read this until this morning - I don't read all the various posts, too busy.

The Burkheimer blanks all cast very nicely. Kerry does a good job rating his blanks for average and practical use. For instance, the rated line weight is for best use with 30 feet of line aerialized. Thus, he then rates each blank for the 3 line weights they'll most easily handle. The 383-2 is rated for 2, 3 and 4 weight lines, with the 2 for far out, 3 for average distances and 4 for in close. And if you follow those guidelines, it'll work extremely well. If only all the fly rod makers would return to this common sense approach for rating their rods.

I can't really answer your question as to how well it will cast drys versus nymphs, as I'm from the school that believes one rod will cast either equally well (I do). For me (us) your casting ability determines the ability to present various flies in various ways. The same rod will do it all, for me, anyway.

Because I haven't cast the Winston you mention I'm afraid I can't advise on any comparison of the two. Wish I could. I can tell you that the Burkheimers are medium fast actions that load nicely with the rated lines at the advised distances. Very easy to cast and very pleasant to fish with. I do prefer my older St. Croix SCIV with the super fast action light tip, but they aren't made anymore and most guys don't like their fly rods to have such extremely fast actions anyway. But the Burkheimers go along with me on many trips and I always notice how easily they cast.

Strong points are straightness, nice finish, easy to cast and practical line ratings. I don't really know of any weak points, other than the long wait times to get one. If Kerry has one in stock you're in luck. If not, you may be in for a bit of a wait.

Posted by: Steve Kartalia (---.ferc.gov)
Date: March 11, 2008 01:40PM

Nice review, Tom, and how refreshing to hear just facts and observations without hype. I built a Burkheimer one time for a friend and if I recall correctly it was 7'10" and rated 3/4/5. Fit and finish, straightness, and line rating all seemed top-notch to me - as good as I've seen from anyone. It was before CCS so I don't know what the numbers were. But also like Tom said, I would not have traded my St. Croix 4F864 or 4F865 for it, which I regard as real gems and ideal for the way I fish and cast.

Posted by: Gavin Schar (---.saix.net)
Date: March 11, 2008 04:34PM

Thanks Guys. It is indeed a pleasure to get straight answers. I've tried so many rods simply because of the advertising hype and often I have been bitterly dissapointed. Hopefully I will find that "go-to gem of a rod" one day (probably have it already but saying I have not found it simply allows me to accumulate more rods...). Some chaps have recommended that I try Dan Craft's FT series (fast tip) I may just do that - I have been really impressed with my Sig V 3wt that I built up (better than many of the other big name rods I have cast) so I may just have to go for it. I am busy building up an 8wt FT right now. I also dropped Tom Morgan a line to find out about his rods - I have heard rave reviews (but once again no CCS data) so no objective comparison.

Gavin

Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 11, 2008 09:09PM

Gavin

I've been wrapping rods for Kerry for about four years now and have had my hands on every rod he has made in that time. The best thing about Burkheimer rods is Kerry. He is willing to work with you and will design a blank to meet your particular needs if you can not find what you want in his line. Kerry is a perfectionist and his rods show it and on top of that he is one of the nicest people I've ever met.

Thomas F. Thornhill

Date: March 12, 2008 03:09AM

Hi Thomas, thank you for your post. I have heard such good things about Kerry's blanks and would love to get my hands on some to build up for myself. I e-mailed Kerry a while back, but did not get a response (presumably he did not get my mail). Do you have his current e-mail address (if so perhaps yopu could e-mail it to me). Do you know if Kerry sells blanks to customers or whether he only sells finished rods? I would just love to get a 8'3 or 8'9 blank with an ERN of around 2-3. I hear that all of Kerry's rods have the most wonderfull "feel" and are powerful yet sensitive at the same time. What are the actions on his lighter line rods like?

Thanks,
Gavin

Posted by: Thomas F. Thornhill (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 12, 2008 07:25PM

Gavin

Kerry does sell blanks. Try emailing him again, he tends to get distracted playing with new rods or talking to customers and doesn't check his email as often as he should. His lighter weight rods are also a medium fast action. I hope this helps but if you still have trouble getting hold of Kerry email me at tommystyx@hotmail.com and I will hand deliver a copy to him.

Thomas F. Thornhill

Date: March 13, 2008 11:25AM

Fantastic! Thanks Thomas. I will try him again. If I dont have any luck I will get back to you.

Best regards,
Gavin

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster