I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

World record fishing
Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 09, 2008 01:14PM

I am getting ready to build some rods for going after some world record fish.

On the 50 lb rod would you use roller guides or conventional, same rod will be used both fresh and salt water.

On the 130 lb rod all salt water, all stand up no chair, straight or curved butt?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: World record fishing
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 09, 2008 02:02PM

I would most likely use rollers on all of them.

A 130lb stand up rod could be deadly on the fisherman. I trust you understand the limitations of stand-up gear and the danger it can present to the angler when line that heavy is used.

Whether or not you need a straight or curved butt depends on the harness type you'll be using. This was covered in great depth in RodMaker Volume 5 #6.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 09, 2008 02:39PM

World record fishing is very serious business. You may be quite surprised to find that there are rules that pertain to rods as well as many many other things. Take a look at the following link and click on the IGFA Rules PDF which is the top link on the page.

[www.google.com]

Posted by: Bob Turpen (---.219.140.67.ip.alltel.net)
Date: March 09, 2008 03:11PM

I'm neither an engineer, physicist, or math whiz.. I'm just a simple fishin pole builder. However, I've always wondered about the advantage of using all roller guides on a rod VS a rod with all conventional guides + a roller guide on the tip. I would think most of the pressure would be on the tip, with very little pressure on each guide. Makes me wonder if roller guides expose the line to the possibility of being tangled in the roller or having a roller pinch the line causing the line to fray and break. With this reasonong in mind, makes me wonder just how necessary roller guides are to actually bringing the fish to the boat. . . . or are roller guides just a "marketing" gimmick. . . . sure makes me wonder???

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 09, 2008 07:19PM

I have used ceramic guides on rods up to 80lb with no ill effects. In fact, they've worked very well. But I have some hard handed deck persons drop or hit rods on things and crack the occassional ceramic ring. Rollers are generally a bit more durable and provided they are kept in good working order (cleaned and lubed on a regular basis) they're hard to beat in the harshest and most demanding situations. Absolutely necessary? Not at all. Nice to have on the really big rods? Absolutely.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 09, 2008 07:31PM

Send Mark Griffen a email. If you are going after a record fish I would use the best parts avalible
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: March 10, 2008 10:05AM

If it's a stand up then I would definanatly go with the rollers especially if you are after a line class record.

On a side note, the pending sand tile all-tackle record was caught last week on one of my sticks. It was a bycatch on a commercial grouper trip so not being targeted.

Posted by: Lance Lapeyrouse (70.151.77.---)
Date: March 10, 2008 11:48AM

all i have to say is this: if you are indeed fighting these types of fish, take all safety precautions available. last year i caught 2 near-state record fish (53 lb. jack crevalle, 300 lb. swordfish). i tell you what....if that swordfish would have been caught on standup tackle i think it would have dragged me overboard. this swordie pulled harder than a 500 lb. marlin.

safety, safety, safety.

Posted by: Bill Burkett (---.prod-infinitum.com.mx)
Date: March 15, 2008 03:24PM

Definitely use the rollers. It's not manufacturer's hype. If there will be any casting done with the rod I'd use the AFTCO "wind on" guides for knot clearance. With the size line your using there is no problem with the line catching between the frame and roller (in fact, that never a problem with quality roller guides). The San Diego long range fishermen invented stand-up fishing for 300# tuna from an anchored boat. They all use roller guides these days.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster