I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

reinforcement tape...
Posted by: Marc Forrest (66.241.87.---)
Date: March 09, 2008 12:36PM

rod building folks,

I'm lengthening a salmon blank by 6" and have had to scare up some scrap blank material... the piece i finally found that will fit snuggly is a bit too thin walled and i fear it will not be strong enough for the labor applied to the butt section. I've found a second stout piece that will slide up inside the weaker piece of graphite but there remains a very slight gape between the two which can be filled with tape...

can someone recommend the proper type tape for this application? i'am going to be using U-40 Rod Bond through out and i just don't want something like mere masking tape to degrade and eventually come apart at a point that gets a lot of banging around.

would medical adhesive tape be a better choice?

thanks for any input.

m. forrest - tws

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: reinforcement tape...
Posted by: Randy Parpart (Putter) (---.dsl.dynamic.nccray.com)
Date: March 09, 2008 12:50PM

I'd use bands of threads and epoxy over and between these thread bands. Use them for spacers/shims.

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 09, 2008 12:59PM

Marc,
Medical adhesive tape has thicker gooey adhesive on it than masking tape and most medical tape that I know of is not water repellent. I have rods 20 years old that have masking tape in them and have never had one fail yet. One thing that would help us out is what kind of grip are you going to put over it?

If your afraid that your add on is going to fail then may be you should build a new rod the length you want, LOL.

Properly done water should never get to the tape, when you put the pieces together make sure you run a sealing bead around the joint.

One last note, read Ralph's article in the Library on rod repair.

Randy do you marble the epoxy when you use the thread as spacers. LOL ( are you going to Lamiglas this year, hope so, looking forward to seeing you again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2008 01:03PM by Tim Hurst.

Date: March 09, 2008 01:21PM

LOL! Yeah, Tim, I'll be there again and give 3 seminars; marbling, Alps & waterslide decals, and Moire wraps (with Doc).

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: March 09, 2008 01:35PM

Looking forward to seeing you again and need to see the decal seminar.

Sorry Marc for kidnapping your post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2008 01:36PM by Tim Hurst.

Date: March 09, 2008 01:37PM

I'm going to bring my old Windows 98 computer, screen, keyboard, and one of my Alps MD 1000 printers with.

Will be good to see you again, too, Tim!

Putter
Williston, ND

Posted by: Marc Forrest (66.241.87.---)
Date: March 09, 2008 01:43PM

Masking tape would be the easiest and presumably water will not reach the interior. i'm covering the blank with cork - again using U-40 Rod Bond as the sealant/glue. moreover, the extended graphite blank add/on will go into the butt section fully 4 to 5 inches. naturally i'm employing the water-break-free technique on all components graphite. I've successfully extended several rods using this method and don't anticipate a problem. since weight is not an issue i've decided to beef up the last (extended) portion of the butt section by using double tubes of graphite one slide into another.

thanks for the feedback.

Tim, i've given the Ralph's rod repair article a read.

cheers!

previous rod extension...

[www.theworriedshrimp.com]

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2008 01:45PM

Thread - not tape - as shim. Unless you can use dry wall tape if gap too big for thread.
Herb

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2008 02:36PM

Use rings of masking tape with about 1/8th inch gap between rings. There will be plenty of glue in the gap to take care of any issues with the bond.

Take care
REW

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 09, 2008 07:28PM

I agree with Herb. I believe you get a better fit and no gaps Iust my 2 cents. I just do not like masking tape
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Harold Krause (---.satx.res.rr.com)
Date: March 12, 2008 06:31PM

Bob...ok I'm lusting your 2 cents. Now what, can you hook me up with a date? Or is this some kind of Spitzer thing were I have to pay...LOL

Sorry had to go there. I know it's a typo but I thought it was really funny.

Mr. Kirkman you can delete this as you wish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2008 06:59PM by Harold Krause.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: March 17, 2008 05:13AM

Herold thanks for the heads up on LUST. As many know I have a lagedimute (missed spelled) excuse for my miss spelling. I am known as the worst speller here.
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster