I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Winston Boron iix
Posted by: Gavin Schar (---.saix.net)
Date: March 09, 2008 11:17AM

Hi All,

Does anyone have the CCS data for a Winston Boron iix 3wt 8'6". If this is not available, but someone has such a rod please let me know how they cast dries on the one hand and bead-head nymphs in the size 14-18 range. Am desperately trying to find an all purpose high quality rod that can cast both dries and nymphs equally well.

Thanks, Gavin

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Winston Boron iix
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 09, 2008 02:03PM

I don't have those numbers, hopefully someone else does.

I do have one question - how does the rod know if you're casting a dry fly or a nymph? Mine have never been able to tell the difference and all cast them equally well.

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2008 03:27PM

i believe the rod helps in what type of flyfishing you are doing, but not that important. a soft tip rod may aid in softer presentation, but dont forget the flyline. the flyline you choose can be just as big a factor as well as the leader. i believe the casting ability of the angler plays a much larger role in flyfishing. just about any rod in the hands of a good caster can present the fly appropriately. i dont do alot of trout fishing, but i personally prefer a light tip for my style of casting and the streams here in NC. i mostly fish glass rods. i feel the light tip also helps protect light tippets and i just like the feel of the glass rods on a small stream.

Date: March 09, 2008 04:02PM

Without doubt the rod plays an important part in the presentation of the fly! It goes without saying that all rods will be able to cast all kinds of flies, however certain rods will excel in presenting a particular type of fly compared to other flies. Take for examnple the Sage LL - a magnifecent rod - however it does not do everything equally well. I have a 6wt LL and this rod casts a larger dry fly or nymphs and streamers in the 10-16 range really well but when going down to a size 2-6 streamer or deer hair dragon fly nymph the rod is really tested. However if you take a faster actioned rod it may cast the larger flies really well, but not have the sensitivity to gently drop a dry fly to selective trout! What I mean to say is that while the rod is "able" to cast the fly and while I can cast these larger flies just as far as the smaller flies and put them in the same area it requires more effort and casting is not as comfortable. In a previous post I mentioned that I recently built up a Five Rivers Sig V 8'6" 3 wt. Now let me make one thing clear this rod casts a dry fly like a gem and is my go to rod for dries and really small nymphs (18-22) however with a bead-head nymph in the 14-16 range it, like the Sage LL with the larger streamers, is not as pleasurable to cast as when I am casting the aforementioned flies.

Now, as I understand things, the Winston Boron iix is a "fast" actioned rod. However it has a slower tip to offer gentle presentations. My question therefore is does this rod still "feel" really comfortable when casting a nymph as when casting a dry fly - given that the promotional literature implies that it can achieve both ends equally well because of its design!

Gavin

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 09, 2008 05:16PM

A fast action and a slow tip doesn't compute well. Most all fast action rods have a fairly soft feeling tip as that is where the main rod deflection takes place. On a slow action rod the rod the rod defects gradually through a longer portion of the rod. Be careful of the promotional material and read through the CCS results to get an objective picture of true rod power and action. I have a Sig V 8' 6" with its slower action it casts as you state. When I go to nymphs and streamers I prefer the fast action FT series. I find the fast action FT will cast the lighter flies better than the Sig V performs with the heavier ones but each has its unique niche. The light flies don't require as heavy of line to carry them as do the heavy flies so you can't come close to an all around rod that will be perfect in all conditions. If I were limited to one fly rod out of my arsenal of many at this point it would be a Dan Craft 9', 3#, 4Pc. I use mine with lines from 3# to 6# with good results for my needs.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Date: March 09, 2008 05:26PM

Although I often feel I'm an accomplished fly fisherman, this obviously shows that I'm not. I use a single rod to power out long casts or to very gently drop flies onto the water with barely a ripple. All this time I thought it was my casting ability that determined that sort of thing. But... I don't read many of the fly fishing texts nor pay much attention to them.

Posted by: Steven Libby (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 09, 2008 06:58PM

obviously a student of the, river why, lol.

Date: March 09, 2008 07:00PM

By the way the Sage LL's usually have less power than their designated rating indicates. This could explain your problem in casting heavier flies with it.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Date: March 10, 2008 01:12AM

Hi Stan. I noticed on the CCS data site that the LL series are actually "underrated" in terms of their designated line weights. The CCS info is actually becoming my go to site when conidering a new rod. Given that I dont live in the US it is often difficult to actually cast a rod before purchasing it (not many dealers here that carry the big brands). To a large extent one has to go on the promotional info - which as we all know is dicey. However with the CCS data you can get a good idea of how the rod will cast without having actually cast it and you are able, best of all, to compare it to its competitiors very accurately.

If I understand you correctly are you saying that if I were to line up a weight on my Sig V that doing so may assist with casting slightly heavier flies (ie nymphs in the #14-16 range)? I have started corresponding with the guys from CTS. I am really keen to try one of their Affinity One blanks and have heard really positive feedback from those that have them. I am also going to give the FT's a go. I am in the process of building up a 9' 8wt FT so depending on how that goes I will buy the 3wt.

Gavin

Date: March 10, 2008 09:10AM

Keep in mind that there really isn't any such thing as a rod being "underrated" or "overrated." It boils down to the distance the manufacturer intended it to be used at with the rated line weight, which unfortunately, they never bother to tell you. The CCS is indeed better in that area, because the ERN is a power rating and you know exactly what you've got and can then figure what line would work best for the distances you plan to fish.

Date: March 10, 2008 09:32AM

I find that the heavier flies cast easier with a heavier line particularly in windy conditions as it provides more energy. It may help with the Sig V but I find the faster action rods like the FT series are a bit more versatile in varying line weights. For my purposes the 3# FT performs as a 6 # rod that will cast a 3# line as well. I'm not saying the 3# is labeled incorrectly but the taper of FT series provide a lot of reserve power as indicated by the CCS numbers. I also have a 2# that I fish with lines 5# and under. It may be my casting style that has evolved over 60+ years of trial and error with a lot of habits frowned on by the experts.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster