I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Changing the Legend Ultra fighting butt
Posted by: Zach Matthews (150.208.204.---)
Date: October 10, 2002 09:14AM

Hey guys-

I posted last night but my post was removed, I can only assume because I didn't include a two part name. My question is, I'd like to switch the fighting butt on the SCLU 8 weight and put one of the ones they use in an 11 and up on it. That is an EVA/foam composite. Basically I'd like to know where to get the butt they use in a glue on or slipover. Does anyone know who manufactures this or if there is a copy available? Does anyone make their own fighting butts out of cork rings and EVA foam? Whats the best way to go about switching this out? The SCLU 8 weight I have has a nonremoveable butt. Thanks, guys.

Zach Matthews

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Changing the Legend Ultra fighting butt
Posted by: Chris Karp (---.detroit19rh16rt.mi.dial-access.att.net)
Date: October 10, 2002 11:40AM

Bingham and Janns Netcraft both offer removable composite fighting butt (made by Pac Bay) the longest is 5" Some modification might need to be made to the threaded insert that is epoxied into the blank/reelseat (Filing to blank and/or reel seat I.D's.)
You can make and shape your own perminant version if you can find a piece of blank to slide into the existing LU blank at the reel seat until it fits snug, then cut to desired length. I would go with no more than a 4"extention and you need at least 3" internal overlap or underlap as the case may be. I wrap the protruding portion with button and carpet thread and coat with epoxy to add strength. I ream to fit the cork rings over this protruding area and then buy a piece of 1-1/4" O.D. 3/8" I.D. straight Eva foam and make a 1" bumper and glue it up just like a cork ring. I also allow the blank to extend half way into the EVA foam bumper to secure it. I have had production composite fighting butts shed their EVA foam. Using a simple hand drill and after reinforcing/ protectiong the internal underlap portion of the fighting butt (from crushing) which will now be placed into the drill chuck to turn. This can be accomplished with a thick layer of masking tape and not tightening the drill chuick too tight helps keep the connecting portion of the add on intacted. Shape to suit, try and turn the foam down separatly form the cork only going over the entire composite butt with the finest grades of sandpaper in the smoothing process. With a 3/8" O.D. brass tube with one end sharpened, cut a plug form a left over piece of EVA and glue in place. Prior to gluing in the plug is a good time to epoxy in lead pencil weight and balance the outfit to a specific reel. GOOD LUCK

Re: Changing the Legend Ultra fighting butt
Posted by: Brent Schneider (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 10, 2002 12:03PM

Cabelas has the butts that I beleive you are looking for. They are labeled "Fighting Butts" They are epoxied directly to the rod butt. There is a 1" and a 1 1/2" model in a cork/composite style. Also there is a 2" model that is cork/EVA.
Im sure they are on their website under rod building but in the 2002 Tackle Craft Catalog they are on page 24.
Hope this helps
Brent

Thanks guys
Posted by: Zach Matthews (150.208.204.---)
Date: October 19, 2002 11:24PM

The operation went well, the rod looks great. If I ever need to do it again (or switch it back) I can accomplish it in less than 30 minutes.

Thanks again.
Zach

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster