I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Swampland Castaway Blanks... Initial Review
Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.42.117.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: March 08, 2008 02:13AM

I just received a couple of Castaway setups from the cajuns (Bill and Lance), and I have to say that I am very happy. I was skeptical of the claims but I put a bit of stock into these boys so I had to order a couple of sticks just to see what the talk was about.

The blanks I got were straighter than other blanks that cost much more and the finish was top notch. I beat the heck out of them trying to make them fail until I was uncomfortable with what I was doing. The advertised weights were within .2 oz. The reel seats? Just as good as I could make myself but for the price, far more cost effective. They were well machined, requiring almost no work at all on my part yet lighter in weight than comparable Pacbay or Fuji exposed blank seats, which require arbors. They do have some mold lines that need trimming, but no more than any other seats. I prefer to do my own grips, but went with what they offerred, and was not disappointed. The cork is not top notch, but is better than most preformed grips. I thought I would have to toss them, but they are of high enough quality that I will put them on a rod along with my name.

Bottom line, in my opinion, these are very good blanks. When you factor in cost, they are outstanding blanks. I look for durability in my rods as well as sensitivity and usefullness, and I'm sold on these Castaways. If I had to compare them to a "big name" that I routinely deal with, I would say that they are comparable to a middle ground between St. Croix SCII and SCIII.

For value, these are really nice sticks.

As a disclaimer, I have no affiliation with Swampland or Castaway. I'm just an average rodbuilder who is happy to see a really good blank that is affordable and offer apologies to other sponsors who may offer similar blanks that I have not built on yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2008 08:27AM by Tom Kirkman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Swampland Castaway Blanks... Initial Review
Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2008 02:21AM

Mind telling me the price range for the blanks..

Castaway guys I emailed ya please get back to me.

Posted by: Mick McComesky (---.244.42.117.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: March 08, 2008 02:28AM

Henry, the average price is about $50.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 08, 2008 10:13AM

Mick, Swampland certainly appreciates the "first" review of the Castaway XP3 blanks on this web site. We feel your post was quite objective and to the point. This type of product review by a custom rodbuilder is "priceless"!

The extremely durable multi modulus XP3 blanks target the bass rod market that many custom builders may shy away from due to potential warranty exposure to loss of labor charges. The new fully exposed reel arborless seats are unique to the market and match up quite well with the preformed split grips. The blanks and components are available to custom builders interested in building technique specific rods for bass fishermen.

For information or direct contact:

stevens.bill@cox.net
or
swamplandrods@msn.com

Posted by: Ed Grella (---.37.101.72.adsl.snet.net)
Date: March 08, 2008 12:18PM

Are these imports?
Thanks, Ed

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 08, 2008 01:29PM

The Castaway XP3 is a proprietary blank built exclusively for and to the exact specifications of Castaway Rods, in an Eastern Rim manufacturing plant, using "state of the art" tooling and high quality materials. The factory blanks are subject to an extremely high level of quality control. Prior to shipping from the Castaway facility in Montgomery, Texas all blanks are carefully inspected and each blank is subject to passing an amazing "production" type blank stress load test by a highly trained technician.

Swampland

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2008 07:56PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2008 01:50PM

Bill -

I really like you ... but that is the BIGGEST whitewash job I have seen in a LONG time. The man asked a really simple question - "Are these imports?" THREE words. One word would have sufficed for an answer.

I know that I, for one, am not in need of more marketing hype ... please don't go there. You have chosen to become a forum sponsor - thank you for that, this board is needed. However, give me the straight and skinny ... I expect that from someone of your caliber and experience.

Jim -

*** POST edited specifically to make the above opinion, strictly that of my own and not that of the forum moderators, forum owner(s) or other forum members. No other modification was made.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2008 05:13PM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.ny325.east.verizon.net)
Date: March 08, 2008 01:55PM

What is Eastern Rim?

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2008 04:13PM

Jim;
While I appreciate your perspective, I for one would like to decide for myself how I like to be marked to.
Speaking for yourself and how you like things to be presented is great.

Deciding for the rest of us as to how we would like to be marketed to? Is not productive.

Bill as a sponsor has paid for the right to market his product. If it did not answer the mans question, he can ask again if he wants to.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 08, 2008 05:07PM

Sometimes it takes more than a simple "yes or no" answer to accurately answer a question. After all, how would most of us respond if asked, "do you still beat your wife?" A simple yes or no might not do it for most of us.

When you tell someone that a blank is made overseas certain images of poor quality may come to mind - but this isn't fair. Surely there are some terrible blanks made overseas, but there are some very good ones made overseas as well. A little additional explanation is not only helpful, but fair.

Bill has a flair for words and that is to his credit just as it is to the marketing departments of most of the major rod manufacturers. Maybe it's time that some of that same ability was used in the custom rod building world. And... a flare for wordsmanship or colorful phrasing does not necessarily mean that the information is false or misleading.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2008 05:23PM

Tom -

I wholeheartedly agree with you ... good marketing IS solid business practice. Had Bill answered the question directly (e.g. YES, they are) and THEN offered his opinion on the product, a peep from me would have NEVER been heard. However, to "dance around" the question with all that hooey just got my goat today.

IMO (and strictly my own) this board excels in revealing the TRUTH ... about blanks, guides, techniques, etc. Lord knows that a person would surely be mentally and financially challenged to build a superior rod without it ... there is simply too much information and too much misinformation in today's marketplace.

NEVER once did I say that his statements were not factual or even relevant. What I did say is that it was "whitewash" ... my meaning was that it was at best a highly confounding way of answering a mighty simple question.

Jim -

P.S. My apologies to Mr. Gardner and anyone else that might have been offended by my inclusion of the phrase "most people" in my earlier post. I have now edited the post to be strictly from my own (singular) perspective.

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2008 08:54PM

I happened to buy 2 - XP3's from Bill at the show. He was busy marketing a product...I was busy bending, pulling, and feeling. Both Bill and the blanks sold me.

I cant wait till someone asks me where I got the blanks and with a straight face reply..Eastern Rim.

Mike

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 08, 2008 10:23PM

"The Castaway XP3 is a proprietary blank built exclusively for and to the exact specifications of Castaway Rods, in an Eastern Rim manufacturing plant, using "state of the art" tooling and high quality materials. The factory blanks are subject to an extremely high level of quality control. Prior to shipping from the Castaway facility in Montgomery, Texas all blanks are carefully inspected and each blank is subject to passing an amazing "production" type blank stress load test by a highly trained technician."

Personally, I found this to be pretty straightforward and about as simple as you can get and still give the man adequate information for what he most likely wanted to know. For me, "yes" or "no" would not have been sufficient. Only the person asking the question can say if Bill gave him enough, not enough or too much. But it is very similar in content to what many other manufacturers, including Loomis, St. Croix, Batson Enterprises, Lamiglas, CTS, etc. all use in describing the origin and manufacturing process of their blanks.

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2008 11:14PM

The question was answered in a straight forward way. Bill is an educated man with great marketing ability. Just had to attend his seminar in custom rod marketing to see this. Its not Bill`s concern that some people are not really proficient in geography. An import could come form Canada,Japan,China, East Jabip etc. He narrowed it down a little for us with out disclosing his manufacturer.

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2008 11:38PM

"Are these imports?".........................................does it really matter? The question or the answer? Think about it.......(I'm hoping for Fuji Guide Manufacturing Plant, Detroit ,MI...so I can get ALL of there non imported stuff without dealing in YEN )
Too many people get hung up on WHERE something is made....if I thought like that, and hated New Zealand for some reason..I'd never own a CTS. You wanna talk about Taiwan and China? or Portugal?

Somebody please show me an All American fishing rod.

NERB that types with a bar of Ivory soap in his mouth.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 09, 2008 05:38AM

As soon as he told me the price I knew it where it was made more or less. im sure no one else was surprised.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster