I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Frog Blank
Posted by: Aaron Cavanaugh (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: March 07, 2008 11:46PM

I'm looking for a good blank for throwing frogs. On somewhat of a budget. Looked at the Batson RX-8+s but they're just too much. What's a little more affordable blank for froggin? Can go up to about $125.

Thanks for your recommendations. I love this board as there's always someone with a good answer.

Blessings.

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Frog Blank
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: March 08, 2008 12:23AM

I'd look at the Lamiglas IM 700 IMC865 for one, way below your limit.

Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (64.122.91.---)
Date: March 08, 2008 01:48AM

AC take a look at Batson rainshadow RX7 in the IMB844,IMB845 or the IMB846 all great blanks and will not break the bank.
We stock these blanks at Midwest Rod and Reel and have free shipping. Check us out

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 08, 2008 02:09AM

I agree with Bill. You might want to get hold of Kerry Batson, besude being a great Salmon and Steelhead fisherman, he is also a good Bass man. Batson rods are a great product and well not emty your pockets any of the sponcors that carry Batson blanks can get the one you need.. Clik on RainShadow/Forecast on the left to get their toll free number.
Good Weaps Bob

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: March 08, 2008 07:48AM

Aaron -- There can be multiple choices for a Frog Rod. There are a few variables that you need to consider. Will the rod be used in "Real heavy matted" or somewhat sparse vegetation? What length does the customer prefer? The almighty question of if he is using braid? What pound test is the braid or mono?. What type frog baits are being used, as some are bulker and weigh more than others. With those questions in mind, you can then nail it down to choices by several brand name blanks. Spencer and Bill have made some good suggestions already.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2008 10:33AM

Definitely get with Bob and work out the details.

Like Spencer, I have the IMC865 that I fish for the purpose ... we have LOTS of really heavy pads here in Florida. That blank is a crowbar ... very powerful, extra durable and yet light for the rating - plus the price was great. I also have a SC3 that I use in lighter grass, the 3C70MHF - odds are very good that you would enjoy that blank as well and it is a good value, too ... as most SC3 blanks are.

Posted by: Steve Bolton (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2008 04:39PM

Got my Frog blank from Bob, at Custom Tackle. It's a 7'2 Lamiglas but to tell you the truth I use it as my punch'n rod and it works great for that. I did build a Rainshadow MB844 and that's what I use for my frog rod, it has no problem driving the hook home from a distant bass under a weed mat. I puninsh my Batson MB844 at Clear Lake and the Califorina Delta and has handled perfectly. Thanks Batson and Bob at Custom Tackle Supply. Steve Bolton

Date: March 08, 2008 05:31PM

I think I'm narrowing it down to that Lami or to a Batson. Here's what he's doing and using:

1) He prefers longer than 7' and shorter than 8',

2) He will be using 65# braid

3) Baits range from 1/2 - 5/8 oz.

4) Fishing heavy milfoil mats and lily pads.

What we think?

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.united.net)
Date: March 10, 2008 08:12AM

Aaron -- I have to ask you a question. You as the custom rod builder, are you going to warranty a rod that is being used with 65 lb. braid?? Not trying to be a smarty or bust your bubble, but there is no rod that is rated up to that pound test line, that a fisherman would want to use very long, under casting conditions. On the other hand, a blank that will work for this situation is not going to be rated to withistand the 65 lb. braid, with a drag that will more than likely be cranked down. I understand that these fisherman want to use the heavy braid for winching the fish out of the grass, but this sounds like an accident waiting the happen. I would just tell the customer, if he uses the over-rated line situation, you cannot warranty the rod. Otherwise, you may have an unhappy customer that brings a rod back and expects a warranty claim thru you.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2008 08:46AM

Amen to that Bob, there is no reason to use 65# braid. The purpose of braid for frogs is that it can saw through weeds better than mono and gets a better hookset at a distance. He could easily use a braided line that falls within the line rating for the blank without breakoffs.

Date: March 10, 2008 05:12PM

Question, Is this guy fishing for fresh water Bass? If so why put a braided line rated at 65 when a braided line rated at 20 t0 25 lb well do the job.. Heck if I used that size line I would use it on my limb triming saw. I may be wrong , but that over rating the rod.
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 10, 2008 07:59PM

I personally use a maximum of 30# (Power Pro) on my frog rod. I usually use 15 or 20 for dock skipping and I have never had a fish break it. I would go lighter but then I get snipped off too much by pike.

Posted by: Steve Bolton (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 10, 2008 09:03PM

I'd never use 65 braid from my frog rod I like using 30pound stren and use it for all my Cal Delta rods

Date: March 10, 2008 10:00PM

You're right on, Bob. No. I'm not warrantying the rod. We have already talked through what is likely to happen. He insists that is how he has been fishing his frogs for years and never had a problem. But I made it clear to him that there will be no warranty on the rod if he's overpowering the line on his rod.

AC
FishinFreaks
Rogers, MN

Date: March 10, 2008 10:06PM

Steve what is a Cal Delta rod?
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 11, 2008 05:07AM

Bob,

As you know, I'm from WV. But I believe he's referring to the California Delta. Lot's of matted grass!!

Bill in WV

Date: March 11, 2008 05:25AM

You are correct William I was thinking of the Sacromento Delta where it flows inro SanFrancisco Bay. Back in the late 60's and early 70's I fished strippers there. Oh yes I also fished Sturgeon out of Valley Joe LOL
Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.nmci.navy.mil)
Date: March 11, 2008 08:42AM

Hi Guys,
I will give ya a little first hand with the 65 pound braid. I currently use it on a couple of rods and have not had a lick of problems from either. One of them is my frog rod and I also use it on a sh764 as well for flipping too. Yes, it is really overkill and I will be changing out this year just cause I can and I want to experiment with some new braids this season. I do keep in mind that even though I have braid that could act as light cable the rods are not capable of winching it in!!! I have really beat the Shikari and the St Croix has gotten it share of healthy whippin too but I would say as long as you explain the rods limits to the person you are building the rod you should be ok. I would just stress that you will not cover "abuse" types of breakage. Aaron, you and I have most likely fished a great deal of the same water since we are located pretty closely to one another and I will definately say for water in that area 65lb is DEFINATELY NOT required!! 30lb will more than easily handle all of the millfoil on Tonka and if you are not comfortable with that you could step to the 50.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster