I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Old Epoxy Removal
Posted by: Tommy Peace (---.att.com)
Date: March 07, 2008 09:06PM

OK... I read quite a bit before asking this and tried several methods folks have used in the past.
1. Heating it (Didn't work for me )
2. Credit card or other means of scraping it. (Didn't work for me)
3. GooGone seemed to clean the area nicely but again didn't soften or help with the old Epoxy.

Is it possible to sand this down with fine grit wetsand perhaps and refinish the rod with Permagloss?
I don't knw what else to do.
It is a St.Croix 10 year old blank built with Flex Coat High Build at the time.
Suggestion please...

Thanks
Tommy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old Epoxy Removal
Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 07, 2008 09:36PM

I'm assuming you got the guides off and you're dealing with remaining residue. Try (just for fun) denatured alcohol. Let it soak. It'll soften the epoxy just enough to allow peeling or gentle scarping.

Heating it requires pinpoint heat, such as provided by our alcohol torch. General heating sometimes doesn't work without damaging areas outside the wrap.

Just a couple of ideas. I was going to suggest acetone but that can absolutely mess up the rod finish around the wrap and it's no fun to mess with.

Yes, you can sand it down, and refinish with Permagloss. But it's the sanding part that needs much care. If you have a Dreml tool, they make a very fine grinding and sanding bits.

I can't come up with anything else. We've tried all of these at one time or another with varying degress of success, and yes, some of it on older St. Croix sticks.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Calvin Mah (---.ed.shawcable.net)
Date: March 07, 2008 10:06PM

Tommy,

I have had limited success trying to remove old epoxy on St.Croix rods. I don't know what it is but it just doesn't want to come off, at least for me. Something to do with the rod finish?

Calvin

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 08, 2008 02:23AM

May I suggest using 350 or 400 wet/dry paper. Add a couple drops of licquid dish soap to the water (suak your sand paper in it. Cut your paper into strips just about 1/2 the with of yhe area you need to sand. Apply power to the rod, while the rod is turning lightly sand the area. Becarful mot to sand threw the finish. Just make it smooth. Clean with Alcahol and re wrap. If the guides are going to be repostioned in a different spot use Permagloss on the dull areas. A little gloss gors a long way.
Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster