I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Shakey Head Rod Blank Suggestions
Posted by: Andrew White (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: March 07, 2008 06:06PM

I'm building a shakey head spinning rod for a buddy. I generally build up a 3C69MLXF (as spinning) for this application, but I'm wondering what other great blanks I might be missing.

He'll likely throw 3/16 to 5/16 oz. shakey heads, with 1/4 being most common. In a pinch, he'd also like the rod to be capable of doing some duty with a drop-shot rig.

Any/all suggestions would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Shakey Head Rod Blank Suggestions
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2008 06:43PM

My pick;
Batson RX8+S823
It's just a tad stiffer then their RX8+S822.5
Which is their suggested blank for a drop shot rod.
The 823 will do a better job of driving the hook through the worm for better hook ups. With the little larger hooks used on shaky heads.

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: March 07, 2008 06:56PM

Loomis SB 811. I am very happy with the one I built for myself. Bob from Custom Tackle Supply set me up with this blank.

Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2008 07:30PM

I have held and built both both these blanks and for the money in my opinion the RX7 wins, it felt less tip heavy than the RX8. The butt diameters seems to tell the tale, both blansk weight the same. I am not impressed with the RX8+ version. Id go with the RX7. Maybe the RX8+ carbon scrim makes it stronger? I dont know but, I have not broken a RX7 nor heard of them being broken in any quantity so for the $100 I dont see much difference. In my book I like to start with a blank that is well balance to begin with from their it can only get better add good power to weight ratio and you end up with incredbily nice rods to fish with.

RX8+S822.5 Satin Black 6'10" 1 6-12 LB 1/8 - 1/2 OZ 0.450 4.5 Extra-Fast Medium 1.95 oz.

RX7 ISB822.5 Matte Clear 6'10" 1 6-14lb. 1/8 - 5/8oz. 0.570 5.0 Extra-Fast Medium 1.95 oz.

Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: March 07, 2008 08:01PM

All the above blanks mentioned make for great Shakey Head rods. We carrying all the ones mentioned and they each have their place. Things that you do have consider in selecting a blank, depth of water where you fish, deeper you fish, the more mid-power you need to set the hook. The size of the jig head being used and the size of the hook you are trying to drive. Another blank that was not mentioned that I have recently been selling with great feedback is the Lamiglas XMG 50 - LP844. In this series, Todd Vivian designed them to be quite a bit faster than a regular popping blank. It is a 7 ft. blank, but we have been cutting it back, by 2 to 4 inches off the butt, if those would be lengths that the customer would require at 6 ft - 10 inches or 6 ft - 8 inches. Specialty bass rods are our specialty at Custom Tackle Supply and as mentioned, we carry all the blanks that have been mentioned in these posts. If you ever would like to call me at 931-684-6164 and discuss "Specific Technique" bass rods, feel free to do so.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply

Posted by: stan mclean (---.hsd1.nh.comcast.net)
Date: March 07, 2008 10:13PM

St. Croix 5S70MLF.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 08, 2008 10:27AM

Castaway XP3 842-2.5B
6-12#
1/8 - 1/4 OZ

swamplandrods@msn.com

Posted by: Steve Bolton (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2008 04:55PM

Ditto on the RX7 822.5, I use mine for dropshot, dater head and shakey head and has worked great. I put it through a tournament just recently and was well satisfied with it. Steve

Posted by: Steve Wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 26, 2008 01:02PM

x2 on the Loomis SB 811. I use it for Bass as well as a Walleye jigging rod - nice blank.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster