I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay motor assembly on a Renzetti..
Posted by: dave haase (65.254.5.---)
Date: March 07, 2008 11:49AM

I picked up a renzetti wrapper a few weeks ago and after years of working on my pac bay wrapper, I am having issues "unlearning" the way I used to do thigns and "re-learning" the Renzetti way.. MY two biggest issues are 1) the rotation of the power, opposite that of pac bay, which means watching thread lay on the rod from a different side, etc, 2) the fact that I cant go from power to manual easily..

so, my question is, is it possible to possible to use a pac bay motor/pulley assembly with the renzetti chuck and pulley assembly? I dont turn alot of cork becasue I mostly build surf rods 99% of the time, so its almost all cork tape. that being said, I wouldnt have to re-learn how to start and stop wraps, the motor would still be turning the way Im used to, and lastly,I wouldnt have to remove the rod frmo the wrapper to dry epoxy.

what do you guys think?

Bc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay motor assembly on a Renzetti..
Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: March 07, 2008 12:42PM

I had the same problem when I got my Renzetti since I use a bobbin rather than the thread carriage. I originally fixed the problem by turning the lathe so the chuck was to my right rather than my left but after blowing up the motor the other day i went by Grainger and they have 1 motor that turns clockwise. It's 1/15 HP rather than the 1/10 but works just as good for thread work and is a lot cheaper

[www.grainger.com]

Posted by: dave haase (65.254.5.---)
Date: March 07, 2008 02:06PM

scott,

does that have an input for a foot pedal?

DAve

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 07, 2008 02:29PM

You can drop the thread arm on the Renzetti carriage and move the reverse tension spring up, and wind the thread from the same direction as what you're used to on your Pac Bay unit. It's a simple modification that requires nothing more than moving a few pieces around.

Posted by: Dave Barrett (---.ma.emulex.com)
Date: March 07, 2008 03:21PM

To complement Tom's idea which gets you wrapping from the bottom instead otf the top, simply mount the motor so its facing the other way on the bracket. That will reverse the direction of rotation.

Posted by: dave haase (---.optonline.net)
Date: March 07, 2008 03:39PM

dave b,

so, the motor would now be to the right of the chuck? If I understand you correctly, this would also be advantageous because then, I could mount the chuck stand right at the end of bed and it would give me another 6-8 inches of working area which would help when doing big rods.

thanks,
dave

Posted by: Scott Youschak (---.96-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2008 07:30PM

Dave B, the headstock would be in the way of the mount if you did it that way.

Dave H the foot pedal is just plugged into the motor, no input involved. The motor looks exactly the same as the one that come with the renzetti just a little less HP but the same casing and mount holes.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (---.96-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2008 07:32PM

This is the 1/10 that comes with the Renzetti

[www.grainger.com]

and the Clockwise 1/15 HP one

[www.grainger.com]

Exactly the same

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2008 07:33PM by Scott Youschak.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster