I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Micro guides and casting distance
Posted by: Bobby Feazel (---.55.155.207.ip.alltel.net)
Date: March 08, 2008 09:29AM

Tom

Help me a little with a question I have had in my mind for some time.

On a spinning rod the line definately passes well below the bottom of the blank. I understand that the farther it gets from the center the less force it takes to continue bending the rod. So, what is the difference if the line gets below the centerline on a rod with guides on top? Not that I am proposing to let mine do that.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jim spooner (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: March 08, 2008 12:20PM

Bobby, I think your question raises a very interesting point. So much so, that I think it warrants a new thread ( Line touching blank?), which I think will invoke more opinions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/08/2008 01:13PM by jim spooner.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 08, 2008 09:06PM

As the guides. I just wrapped an FS764 flipping stick with the following guides in a Forhan Revolver setup. All guides are batson single foot except as noted:

8(dbl),5,4,3,3,3,3,3,3, 3as the tip.

This was a rewrap of a rod that previously was

12dbl, 8, 7, 7, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, size 6 tip

I use this rod for pitching and flipping jigs ranging from 1/4 oz - 3/4oz. My typical day to day setup of this rod is a Shimano CU100B, 17lb. McCoy Meangreen and a 3/8oz. Jig w/ trailer. After the re-wrap I took the rod out to the yard with this reel and lure setup to see how it handled. I didnt notice and real distance in pitching distance. Flipping was still easily accomplished with the micro-guides. Considering this setup is never intended for distance I have no idea how it will do. But for the distances I pitch and flip it worked well. Without postal scales I cannot accurately guess at how much weight was reduced, but the rod did feel lighter in my hand and balanced a touch better than it did with the previous setup.

I did find one issue with the micro-guides that would not have been an issue with the previous setup. When I put the reel on the rod the line had been on the spool since October, causing it to have a distinct coil. I did notice these coils hanging up while pitching causing me to miss my target. When I used a side arm or overhead cast this wasnt a problem. This problem was resolved by me re-spooling the reel with fresh 17lb. line. So if you are building these for recreational fisherman you should impress upon them the benefits of fresh-line.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 08, 2008 11:04PM

Scott ;
good point about the line I change often so it is something I had not noticed and wih braid would not be a problem I

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 09, 2008 02:55PM

Scott Sheets and Bobby F: I am hoping that between the both of you I may have figured out why I am having troubles with BLNAG eights getting ripped off the bottom of my heavy duty flipping sticks. All the failures have been at the fourth guide which is at 180 and a double foot. After I grind the seration off the top of the guide foot the effective length of the tip end of the double foot is a little less than one third of the length of a BLAG single foot. I think the short length of the front foot is the root caue of my problems. I am going to try single foot guides in the area of failure with the hope that the longer length of thread wrap will end my problems.

Thanks guys!

Date: March 09, 2008 03:32PM

Bill;
Is it the same person having the problem on all the rods?

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.org)
Date: March 09, 2008 05:30PM

Steve Gardner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bill;
> Is it the same person having the problem on all
> the rods?

I'm interested in this to. I have a loomis in for repair that has the second and third guide up from the butt with the front foot pulled out of the wraps. this is a conventional flipping stick.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: March 09, 2008 06:43PM

Scott I have had three Loomis in for the same thing - Their reason for failure was really easy to see - there were only four or five turns of thread on the guide foot - the outwrapper they use just simply did not really bother to wrap the guide frame at all muc less do a Forhan. It is a real problem - they get jarred loose by a bump and simply pull out - my problem on spirals is a little different.

Date: March 09, 2008 07:12PM

I have seen the same on the Steez rod.
But Bill uses a locking wrap and it would take a considerable amount more pressure to pull one of his out

Pages: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster