I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

light flippin stick
Posted by: Trevor Cheney (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: March 06, 2008 10:05PM

I would like to build myself a few new sticks, I have built on loomis and st.croix but I would like to try something different. I am looking for a one piece flippin stick around 7'2" to 7'4" similar in action to the st.croix AC73MHF but lighter weight. any recommendations?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: light flippin stick
Posted by: Henry Engle (---.nyc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2008 10:23PM

I built myself a super light weight flippin stick. I started with the Batson RX8+C865 7"2 the blank weights 2.5 onces. You can not find a lighter weight blank with the amount of power this blank has. I used titanium AT guides single foot as my main guides and fuji titan fly guides to save weight, a modified fuji handle something like a rich forhan light modification. Sumo glue instead of epoxy and one light coat of finish to make the reel seat lighter. The finished rod weight 3.6 ozs I'm pretty sure this is the weight of Kistler's lightest power rod.. I feel bad for them LOL.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2008 11:20PM

Take a look at the Lamiglas XMG LMB864 ... it just might be what the doctor ordered. You could call Bob McKamey at Custom Tackle - he carries both the Batson lineup and the Lamiglas XMG series. I have the Lamiglas and it works VERY well, it is responsive and light.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 07, 2008 12:21AM

I agree with Henry on the Blank, using 8mm striper guide then 5mm - 4mm -then 3mm guides to the tip to further lighten it up some, and shift the balance point a little further back.
8mm double ft Alps and an Alps tip with the rest being single foot guides
no fore grip and a carbon fiber split grip, with exposed blank reel seat.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2008 12:25AM by Steve Gardner.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: March 07, 2008 09:37AM

Trevor, are you talking about flipping or pitching? Most would want a longer stick for flipping.

Posted by: Trevor Cheney (---.nrc.ca)
Date: March 07, 2008 10:51AM

the construction of the rod is not a problem, I think we all look forward to the challenge of building a light rod but I am more interested in a different blank, the Canadian market is limited to the usual suspects, Loomis and St.croix. I have never seen a Kistler, seeker, Lamiglass.....etc. just looking for sugestions for something different.

Chuck, yes I am looking for a pitching rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster