I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Snook light rod
Posted by: Pete Sansone (---.fineline.com)
Date: March 06, 2008 07:30AM

My nephew a Naval Coreman just got back from Iraq after spending a long year + as a medic for the Marines. He lives in S.W. Florida and loves to fish lights at night for snook usually in the 2lb to 6lb range w/ an occasional bruser up to and over 20lbs making an apperance. I would like to build him a one peice spinning rod in the 7' range able to peg 40' to 60' casts around the shadow lines an dock pilings w/ enough backbone to pull a big girl out. He likes using 20lb braided line. Any suggestions on resonally priced rod blank?

Snooker Pete

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Snook light rod
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 06, 2008 09:36AM

You could look at the heavier popping blanks. They'd be fine on the 2lb to 6lb fish although a tad light on the big 20lb fish.

As always, a nice light tipped Hot Shot blank could be the ticket, since they'll cast very light lures a long way but have tremendous backbone.

I'll let others give you specific brand and model recommendations.

Posted by: John Britt (---.97-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2008 10:56AM

Considering the ways of snook I would suggest something like the GUSA B70M , very tough blank
John

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.20.---)
Date: March 06, 2008 11:15AM

I was going to say the GUSA SW70M, which is a litle heavier than th regular B70M which John recommended. I think since John lives in Florida, he knows better than I do, lol. I've got both of these blanks in stock (along with a ton of others), in both gloss grey and cobalt blue, and the SW70M I have in Metallic Purple as well.

FW blanks in stock: [northeastrodbuilders.com]
SW: [northeastrodbuilders.com]

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2008 12:41PM

This is my "cup of tea". A very reasonably priced blank that can handle the conditions ... a G Loomis P845. Another option would be a Batson CB70MH. Either way you will have the durability and power needed.

Posted by: James Williams (---.sip.bct.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 06, 2008 10:49PM

Hello all,
I have been bulding rods for awhile but am new to the forum. I enjoy reading the posts and everyone seems great. I wanted to input on the light snook rod. I live in south florida and snook fish almost every other day. I use a ATC II SB702 blank by (www.advancedtubularcompsites.com). It is a 7 foot, 10-17 lb test, fast action blank with a size 30, 20, 16, 10, 10, 10 single footed guides and a #10 tip top.The guides are American tackle NIA titan spinning guides. I also have a ATC II SB703 8 -15lb test, 7 footer with Fuji hardloy's that I use as well. They have a pretty decent back bone and with braid, I can cast pretty well with an 1/8 oz lure or more. These rods have been flawless for me. I also use them to fish in the redfish tournaments as well.

Tight lines to all and to all big fish,
James Williams
Redneck Flies

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/06/2008 10:51PM by James Williams.

Posted by: Pete Sansone (---.fineline.com)
Date: March 07, 2008 07:46AM

Thanks to all of you guys for responding! The knowledge in this forum is incredable, I'm so glad I found this place! I now have several nice options to think over before I buy one for my nephew and maybe one for myself! I live across from him on the S.E. Florida coast and we have snook lights here too! You guys are great!
Thanks again,
Pete

Snooker Pete

Posted by: Gary Snyder (---.fll.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 09, 2008 05:12PM

I would say definitely a "5" power popping blank (These often include "845" in the model number)... casting distance is not an issue... he is pitching to docks, those are short, accurate casts, not long casts. Plus, the braid casts further than mono to start with. Pulling the fish away from the docks is the issue, the heavier popping blank is what's needed.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster