I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Abalone Question
Posted by: Tommy Loucks (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 05, 2008 11:03PM

Lately I have seen 2 or 3 rods done in abalone and they look fantastic.I would like to take a shot at it myself but I am clueless.
Is this a paper or foil wrapped around the blank? Or is an effect of marbeling in those particular colors?
Any input is appreciated. I would like to see if I am up to the task.

Thank you,
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Abalone Question
Posted by: Milton (Hank) Aldridge (---.maine.res.rr.com)
Date: March 05, 2008 11:26PM

Tommy if you do a search for Abalone you will find a tutorial written by Kevin Knox.

Here is a link [www.rodbuilding.org]

Hank
On The Rocks Fishing
Wells, ME.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2008 07:57AM by Milton (Hank) Aldridge.

Posted by: kevin knox (---.direcpc.com)
Date: March 06, 2008 07:01PM

It is actually a .0015 mm thick piece of shell that is laser cut from the inside of the abalone shell. This shell is a huge oyster that hangs in warm clear water near drinks with umbrellas in them! They cut the shell and then lay it in strips and form sheets of the shell. The uniqueness of the shell and variety of colors that are seen in each piece is amazing.

Good luck. Watch out, if you think rodbuilding is addictive, wait til you get your hands on this. My wife and friends are sick of the word abalone!!!!!!!!!
If you have questions, email me.
KEvin

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: March 06, 2008 10:01PM

Can this also be used on Bass-Salmon sized blanks? Or is this Geared for a large offshore-Surf blanks? Looks cool!! How tight around will it bend after the vinager soak? Thanks Jay

Posted by: kevin knox (---.direcpc.com)
Date: March 06, 2008 10:36PM

Bass blanks will work on the butt but will be too small OD for the guides. Plus, the smaller diameter of the blank might take away from the appearance of the veneer. The shmallest I have done so far is the top guide on a Regulation trolling blank which is about the same size as a butt wrap on a bass rod. The last rod I did was no trouble at all at that OD.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Posted by: Mike Adams (71.80.150.---)
Date: June 11, 2008 12:51AM

Message deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2008 12:59AM by Mike Adams.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster