I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Alaska halibut rod
Posted by: Billy Broderick (208.66.198.---)
Date: March 05, 2008 11:10AM

I just landed a job on the Kenai river in Alaska as a lodge host for the summer. I will close my rod shop for June, July and half of August and go there. I am building Salmon Rods to bring with me. They also fish for halibut and wanted to build a rod for that. Any one have experience with halibut fishing in alaska that can recomend a set up? Billy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Alaska halibut rod
Posted by: David Swiderski (---.15.63.103.res-cmts.mtp.ptd.net)
Date: March 05, 2008 12:39PM

Billy

I don't have any experience with blanks for Halibut but I do know that the spiral wrap is very popular for rods that will see conventional rels and heavy fish. If I were going to do one, I woild certainly build it for a strong conventional and spiral wrap the thing. I've done two so far and really like them for stripers and other saltwater fishing. They do draw some stares, but they do work as they eliminate the torque that wants to turn the reel over under load. Reel alwys stays on top when under load when done properly

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 05, 2008 01:02PM

I usually fish out of Sitka each summer for salmon and halibut. After fighting heavy halibut on a conventional set up a few times I built a 5' 6" spiral wrap that is much pleasanter to play a fish on. With the guides on the bottom the reel stays on top without extra effort. RodMaker vol 5, Issue 6 has very good instructions for building a standup rod suitable for halibut.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Date: March 05, 2008 02:40PM

I now only build spairal wrap conventional rods. That's a must. Stan do you use stand up tuna rods? If so what length and what class?

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: March 05, 2008 06:54PM

I have had good luck with 5' 6' Heavy (30-50 lb.) or XH (50-80 lb.) blanks. The 50-80 lb is probably the best choice for some of the bigger halibut you may encounter. The blanks I use are composite Graphite / E Glass and are classified as Stand Up or Heavy Jigging depending on the supplier. They could also be called stand up tuna rods. I have been using All America Roller guides but they are not necessary for halibut unless you like them. You don't get any fast runs just a lot of heavy lifting.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 05, 2008 07:09PM

I'm far from an expert about blanks but a recent talk with my wifes uncle in Oregon about Sturgeon rods. He mentioned his halibut trips he takes and I asked about the rods he used a Seeker Classic SC6460XH. I think I have it right! He said it's a copy of a Sabre rod? Don't know if that helps!

Posted by: Jon Gold (---.snfccasy.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: March 05, 2008 09:07PM

Billy:

I built myself a Seeker CTSF63XXH that they call their "Halibut Special".
Rated at 60 - 100 lb, 14 tip and a 1.100 butt.
Left it at 7ft. and spiral wrapped it. Put on a Tiburonized TLD 20 - 2 speed and
loaded it with 80 lb spectra. I fished in Glacier Bay with it and caught lots of Halibut.
The biggest for me was 185 lbs (released). Lots of fish between 50 and 150 lbs.
I love that rod and never had to fight the twist, it was great.

Hope this helps.
Jon

Posted by: Larry Pollock (---.sol.dsl.dynamic.acsalaska.net)
Date: March 05, 2008 09:08PM

Billy,
I live in Soldotna. Maybe we can hook up and wet a line when you are up here. I have a river boat with no guide sticker so we can fish all night. Email me if interested.
I am right now building eight rods for a charter and am using Pac Bay X2ST56XH-B blanks and American Tackle Turbo Boat Guides. Blanks are rated 50-80#.
This particular guide doesn't want guides on the bottom of blank because customers knock them off on the rail.
Larry

Posted by: Karry Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: March 06, 2008 01:04PM

This is one that I use out here in the Pacific North West. Its 6'6" and the length helps spread my rods when drift fishing. Also here is another one to look at FSU56H or XH.

Rod Blank Model # TS66H or MH
Butt cap: AXG27-CB with LBC30B Cap
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: Slick10
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: CAH22M-CB
Reel Seat Shim
Foregrip: BF14A1012
Winding Check: BH11
Hookeeper:
Tip Top XTCPPZT10R12.5
1st guide from tip top XTCXNZG10
2nd guide from tip top XTCXNZG10
3rd guide from tip top XTCXNZG10
4th guide from tip top XTCXNZG12
5th guide from tip top: XTCXNZG16 IF YOU WANT TO SPIRAL WRAP USE XTCXNZG10 FOR BUMPER GUIDE IN BETWEEN 16 & 20
6th guide from tip top: XTCXNZG20
7th guide from tip top:
8th guide from tip top:
9th guide from tip top:
10th guide from tip top:
11th guide from tip top:
12th guide from tip top:
13th guide from tip top:
14th guide from tip top:
15th guide from tip top:
16th guide from tip top:
Guide spacing Specs(inches from tip, center ring over mark) 5-10-16-23 1/8-31-40

Rod Blank Model # FSU56H or 56XH
Butt cap: AXG27-S
Front Cap:
Rear Grip: SLICK10
Handle Arbor:
Reel Seat: ETAHD22-S
Reel Seat Shim
Foregrip: BF16A0810
Winding Check: BH11
Hookeeper:
Tip Top XPPZT10R11.0
1st guide from tip top XXNZG10
2nd guide from tip top XXNZG10
3rd guide from tip top XXNZG12
4th guide from tip top XXNZG16
5th guide from tip top: XXNZG20
6th guide from tip top: XXNZG25
7th guide from tip top:
8th guide from tip top:
9th guide from tip top:
10th guide from tip top:
11th guide from tip top:
12th guide from tip top:
13th guide from tip top:
14th guide from tip top:
15th guide from tip top:
16th guide from tip top:

Karry Batson
Batson Enterprises Inc.
Ph: (877) 875-2381
Fax: (360) 683-3579
karry@batsonenterprises.com
www.batsonenterprises.com

Date: March 06, 2008 04:46PM

Larry I will be working at the trophy Lodge for Tim Burg in soldotna! would love to fish with a fellow rod builder! will email you soon thank you to all

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster