I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

anyone use fuji concept guides - size 4?
Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: March 04, 2008 09:45PM

Hello all,
Does anyone use the size 4 alconite concept fly guides? I was considering them for an ultra light rod but usually use size 6s. Any input would be appreciated.
thanks,
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: anyone use fuji concept guides - size 4?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.126-70.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2008 09:55PM

I have used Fuji LSG4 (SiC rings). They work VERY well on ultralight rods. I am 110% sure that Fuji Alconites will give you the same great service. Get your magnifying goggles out ... they are small.

Custom Tackle sold a TON of tiny Batson guides down to size 3 at the ICRBE a couple of weekends ago. They were mounted to rods throughout the hall and folks had great things to say about them. Many of these were employed on med-heavy bass rods. Your application is NO issue at all.

Fuji Alconites down to 4mm
Fuji SiC down to 3.5mm
Batson BFLG down to 3mm

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dial.mhtc.net)
Date: March 04, 2008 10:35PM

I just got done wrapping a jigging rod with the Batson 3mm guides. I love the feel of the rod with the small guides, the one thing you have to ask yourself on an ultra light is weather or not you're going to use a slip bobber when fishing. I use pretied string knots for the bobber stops and it is too large to go through the 3mm easily. If you are not using the rod for a slip bobber you should be very pleased with the small guides, the difference in weight on the frt end of the rod is like night and day. I have a feeling that I'll be wrapping more rods with the smaller guides.

Date: March 04, 2008 10:45PM

Thanks for the input. I was curious what tip tops do you use, the alconites that I have seen only go down to a size 6 top?
thanks,
Tom.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 04, 2008 11:01PM

Depending on the tip of the blank size you can get tips down to 4mm.
I would also suggest the Batson 3mm guides. Bob with custom tackle has both the tips and the 3mm guides.
I’ve been using them for about two years now on any thing from light action rods to flipping sticks. I believe you will be very pleased if not greatly surprised by the increase in performance of your rods with the smaller guides

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.qld.bigpond.net.au)
Date: March 04, 2008 11:15PM

Angler's Resource/Fuji show the black alconite tops in 4.5 mm also. Tube sizes look really small though: 2 to 4 64ths of an inch, or 0.8 to 1.6 mm.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: March 05, 2008 08:51AM

I don't know about Fuji, but Steve is correct about Batson tip tops [www.batsonenterprises.com] . They make a size 4 ring with a 4, 4.5, 5, and 5.5 tip section. I tried a size 6 with the 3mm, but it looked so out of place that I pulled it off and ordered the smaller size 4 ring to replace it. I really like the smaller guides, the only drawback would be when they are used with knots for long leaders or slip bobbers. If you use line with out these restrictions you will love the small guides, by the way if I can wrap them any one can, I'm thread challenged (lol).

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 05, 2008 09:17AM

Getting a tip top to match the tiny guides is an issue if your rod tip measures over about 3.9/64; however, I picked up a Forecast S600 UL blank at the show and was able to outfit it with a BFAT4.5(3.9) tip and some BLAG4 guides. The guides and the tip match up in size very well. This thing is going to be LIGHT. I will use it with a Shimano 750 size real and 4lb Fireline (1lb diameter) so the small guides are nothing but a plus.
I also picked up and just finished wrapping for my son a SB720-4. I used the Batson 3.0 guides for running guides, but I could not find a top smaller than a 5.5 ring that had a tube big enough for the 4.5 rod tip. The difference is noticeable to the eye but I cannot see it hindering performance.
For what it's worth, I like the Alconite guides better than the Forecast. They seem to be less "clunky" for their size in that the ring looks thinner and the guide foot narrower. I'm sure that both will perform fine though.
If you don't need to pass any knots and you're looking to build a really light UL rod, I would go with the size 4 alconites.

Date: March 05, 2008 11:11AM

Thanks for all of the replies. I am building my "dream" trout rod, what I have always wanted as a teenager. I am using a 8 foot fast action four weight blank, a cork handle with sliding rings and now the small guides. I hope to keep the whole outfit as light as possible.
thanks again,
Tom.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 05, 2008 01:01PM

Always remember that you can use a single foot guide as a tiptop if you can't find a regular tube type tip to match in style or size.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 06, 2008 08:51AM

Though not in the catalog yet, Batson has the 4mm tips for the Micro guides up to 5.0 tubes. After that it goes up to a 5.mm tip

I'm not sure about the 4mm Fuji’s but I have one rod that I 1.5mm Fuji's on it and the metal is really soft When lining the guides up after warping I actually folded one completely over. With the Batsons you just about have to have a pair of pliers to bend them. One other thing I like about the Batson’s is that the feet are shorter and pre-ground. So that all I have to do is touch them up before wrapping. For me if going with the Micro guides to reduce weight, then it makes sense to have the shorter feet.

Shorter ft. = less guide weight- less thread weight- less epoxy weight = less total weight.

Softer metal= more bending – more re-bending back into shape = eventual breaking off

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster