I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Texalium Handle
Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: March 03, 2008 03:52PM

Building a spinning rod with a Tennessee handle using the Texalium tube. What are some wrapping material and finishing options when fastening the reel feet to the handle ? Would like this to look really nice.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Texalium Handle
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 03, 2008 05:25PM

Size A thread to match threads on guide feet.

Date: March 03, 2008 06:20PM

Thanks Steve. That's what I was hoping to hear.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 04, 2008 05:38PM

JB,
Thread is NOT a practical thing to use to hook a reel to a rod.
Remember, y ou have storage issues, transport issues, broken reel issues. You NEVER want to permenantely hook a reel to a rod.

I have built several of these rod styles, and after chatting with every client - who did NOT want to use any metal, rubber, chrome or other type locking rings all decided to use plastic tape to attach the reel to the tube. They simply selected a tape color to match the tube and called it good. Everyone of them were very well pleased with the rod and NONE of them would have considered the use of a permenant reel attachment to their rod.

---
Would you like to have a reel "married" to a rod, that you couldn't remove to service, repair, exchange, store, or upgrade? I doubt it.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: March 04, 2008 10:50PM

Roger,

With proper use of CP, why couldn't you remove the reel and re-attach it as needed? We replace a guide when needed dont we? Isn't the guide a permament part of the rod also?

I see no problem with wrapping a reel to a rod, use CP on the area and finish over it just like a casting double foot guide. But, I wouldn't do it with a "cheap" reel, I'd use a reel with a good reputation, just so I didn't have to remove it with regularity.

DR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2008 10:51PM by Duane Richards (DR).

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: March 04, 2008 11:34PM

I just wrapped an Okuma onto my first Vibronic copy. I did not take enough care in the reel foot prep but it turned out okay. I ended up using a bobbin to wrap the reel on. It was a pain. I taped another reel of the same size 180 degrees as a counter weight. Its on the dryer now. Thanks for the inspiration Steve!

I have been using tape on TN handles for a very long time and you will get tape residue on your hands eventually and it is a slimy, sticky mess. After seeing Steve's article in RM I just had to try wrapping one with thread. It's not for everybody, but if it fishes well.... I know one thing - it won't loosen up at the worst possible moment.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2008 11:37PM by Chuck Mills.

Date: March 06, 2008 01:43PM

Roger;
Your comment
"Thread is NOT a practical thing to use to hook a reel to a rod".

Is exactly how I have been doing mine since 1983, and is the only way one of my clients can obtain a rod built by me.
What you consider impractical? Is far more practical then you realize, if you new or understood the facts behind doing it that way.

Date: March 07, 2008 01:59AM

My customer wants it attached with thread. He said it will be used very little because he doesn't get to fish very often. I have a custom rod that was built in 1975 on a Fenwick blank. It still has the Cardinal 4 reel wrapped on with nylon cord. Used it for many years and recently retired it.
Thanks for all the responses guys. Each way the reel is attached has its pro's and con's.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2008 02:01AM by Jay Hunt.

Date: March 07, 2008 05:20AM

Jay;
The first two rods I did this way were done in 1983 and 84. I replaced the reels on both of them in 2001,and they were not even top quality reels. During some those years I fished as many as 200 days a year. Like yours, as long as a person takes care of their stuff there is no reason to expect less then a long life from them. I have also serviced them and many others with out it ever being a problem.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster