I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pac Bay Epoxy mixer
Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bfd-dynamic.gis.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 07:03AM

Anyone try the new Pac Bay Mixer? Is it worth getting?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pac Bay Epoxy mixer
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 07:31AM

I have been using mine since they hit the market - I love it!!! Well worth the $$$. I have rigged mine with an arm that holds a spatula (made from Loc-Line and an aligator clamp), and I can mix Flex Coat liquid epoxy glue in it as well as rod finishes.

If you build regularly I would say yes, it's worth getting.

Marc

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: March 03, 2008 07:50AM

I'm still not in love with mine. I don't get any fewer bubbles than mixing by hand. I've started using more finish as the large cup and large bearing hold a little too much finish and what gets poured out on my pallet is sometimes not quite enough finish. I'm trying to give it a fair chance but after 6 rods now, I'm underwhelmed.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: March 03, 2008 08:14AM

If you're getting any bubbles at all then something's bad wrong. You shouldn't get any bubbles, zero, with a mixer that's built and used correctly.

Check the angle and speed of their unit. I haven't used it personally but know it was patterned after the one we showed in RodMaker a half dozen years ago. But I'm not up to speed on the angle of their cup or mixing speed.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: March 03, 2008 08:46AM

I love mine. No bubbles.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: March 03, 2008 10:39AM

I love mine also for mixing the problem is getting the metal rod out of the cup when you're done without making a mess.

Posted by: Larry Pollock (---.sol.dsl.dynamic.acsalaska.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 01:06PM

Mine works great. After mixing I pour epoxy and rod onto aluminum foil. The rod stands straight up and is easily removed from foil after coating is complete.
Larry

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 01:42PM

We agree with Tom and the others who like it. It works. We make up as much epoxy as we need and we waste very little in getting out out of the cup and onto our tinfoil plate. No bubbles. Way better than hand mixing, if only for the consistency. And it doesn't matter which epoxy brand we're talking about.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: March 03, 2008 05:30PM

Hi,

My unit came with a 5/8" Diam. rod 5/8" long. It rotates in the mix cup and works.

I have found that Flex Coat has a longer work time than when mixing by hand. I guess the beating by hand heats up the mix more.

Yes, in the cold weather you may see a few bubbles. After I pour the mix into an aluminum tray I breathe on the mix and the bubbles disapate.

After the thread we had a couple weeks ago about measuring the parts A & B, I decided to try using syringes again. It is always good to go back and revisit older ideas. Now I empty Part A into the mix bowl. I let it spin for a minute and then drop the rod into the cup. Next I add Part B to the cup slowly and let it rotate for 4 minutes. By adding Part B slowly into the mix cup I have found that I get a more thorough mix.

Capt Neil Faulkner

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2008 06:21PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 03, 2008 09:59PM

I have one and use it for all my mixing. No problem at al!!!

Bill in WV

Posted by: Edward D. Smith (---.ard.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 04, 2008 03:09PM

I love my mixer. I have used left over finish to glue a smaller cup into the center of the mixer. This way I don't have to make up as much finish per batch. As per cleaning the roller: I dampen a paper towel with denatured alcohol, I first wipe the roller with dry paper towel followed by an alcohol wipe. Never had any problem!

Ed Smith

Posted by: Roger Templon (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: March 05, 2008 08:01PM

Although I don't have the Pac Bay model, I have built my own version of the finish mixer. No bubbles - none! I use a steel ball to mix in the cup and just pour the finish and the ball onto my flat surface. I then finish my wraps before worrying about cleaning the ball. I then use a small magnet to pick the ball out of the waste finish, and wipe it off with paper towels dampened with denatured alcohol. Works well for me.

Rog

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster