I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Superglue and thread
Posted by: Darby MP Nelson (---.219.100.208.1dial.com)
Date: February 29, 2008 10:27AM

Any ideas on how to put super glue on threads to hold them in place before putting the epoxy on to cover that area? I'm thinking of using the super glue to hold a one time around the blank trim band at both ends of the guide wraps and wonder if that will work and what problems I might run into doing this.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Superglue and thread
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 29, 2008 10:48AM

I've not tried it but can tell you how I've seen it done in fly tying. Dave Whitlock would run the Super Glue bottle nozzle up and down the thread once or twice and then wind the thread. He'd hold it in place for a few seconds and then release it and it'd stay put.

Wish I could help more, but that's the extent of my experience with it.

One more thing, the next RodMaker will show you how to make a single thread trim band without glue or knots.

Posted by: Scott Youschak (72.242.111.---)
Date: February 29, 2008 10:51AM

Single thread trim bands are fairly simple without super glue. I saw a tutorial floating around a while back on how to do it, hopefully someone will pass it on to you, if not I could walk you through it after I get off work tonight. I've never tried the super glue but I would imagine it would not look that good and I'd probably end up gluing my finger to the blank.

Posted by: Joshua Turner (---.hfc.comcastbusiness.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 11:21AM

what tom mentioned with the glue will work and would be my preferred method.
i've seen others that put a dab of glue on the blank, the stick one end. and let it dry. then wrap it and stick the other.
if you get glue on the main wrap, it will leave a splotch that won't cover up with finish, unless its been CP'd

im interested to see the no glue no knot method

Posted by: Buddy Sanders (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: February 29, 2008 11:30AM

I have used the Dave Whitlock 'method' Tom mentioned for securing fly tying thread for years on many different fly patterns. It's especially useful on deer hair stuff.

My only concern with using it on a rod are how it will look once the finish is applied.

CA glues will 'wick' into the adjoining threads, they dry 'hard' and will 'seal' the thread, stopping any penetration where they have dried. You can 'see' that it looks different.

Won't this cause a discoloration once the epoxy is applied?

If not, it would sure make a few things simpler...

Buddy

Posted by: John Britt (---.97-97.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: February 29, 2008 12:33PM

Darby very old way tape a piece of thread you want for trim band on the blank.,where you want the wrap to begin begin the wrap over a tie off loop facing out after about 10 turns of the wrapping thread remove tape from trim band end make just over one revolution and insert the trim band end into the loop pull the loop until tight trim the trim band close and pull through takes some practice to get exactly one revolution of the trim band.

As you approach the other end of the wrap you will need 2-tie off loops one for the wrapping thread and one for the trim band-leave about 8-10 revolution's of the wrapping thread insert loop for trim band then a couple of more turns of wrapping thread and inset second tie off loop- finish as normal then do the same as you did to the first trim band sounds complicated but very easy the only draw back is the trim band is visible under the wrap thread with regular thread
John

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 12:49PM

John's method is pictured and described in the book, Advanced Custom Rod Building by Dale Clemons.

Posted by: Bob Turpen (---.219.140.67.ip.alltel.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 12:56PM

Hey Darby. . . If I understand your question right, Ray Adams posted a tutorial on this website as an answer for a similar question from Dave Soltesz on 2/28. It's listed below.

[www.washingtonfishingfools.com]

"Life is too short to fish with UGLY rods!"

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 12:59PM

i tried this once recently, holding down the start of a single thread with superglue. i used a sewing pin, the kind with a colored ball on the end. just a small dap at the bottom of the blank where i wanted to start the trim. on the end of the single thread wrap, i tied it in with only the main colored thread. i THOUGHT i saw how the glue spread a bit and worried the thread finish wouldn't soak in properly but in the end, it worked out fine and i can't see the glue or any evidence of it.

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: vance corbett (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 01:06PM

Darby... CA ("Super Glue") works for single thread wraps... Use a hat pin, large needle, or fly tying bodkin to put a very small (smaller than a pin head) drop of glue on the rod and then push the thread end into it with the needle point. Hold for a minute until the glue sets. Put another drop of glue on top of the original and wind your thread around, laying it into the glue. Let it set and trim off the tag end. If you're careful you won't get any glue in the wrap and the thread ends line up nicely. I've applied Threadmaster and Rodsmith finish to these wraps and there is absolutely no sign of the CA glue. This is painstakingly slow work, but the effect is nice. I've studied the other methods but most leave the tag end of the accent thread visible under the wrap. I'm really interested in this topic and hope others with other methods will comment. Best Regards, Vance

Posted by: Darby MP Nelson (---.219.100.208.1dial.com)
Date: February 29, 2008 06:53PM

It was early when I posted my question and forgot to mention that the trim band will be gold metallic thread. I don't know if this will change any of the replies or not. The idea of putting the glue on the thread itself sounds interesting.

Thanks for all the information.

darby

Date: February 29, 2008 07:14PM

Darby... The CA glue will sully the finish on the blank, so I advise against the "saturation" method. The approach I suggested works with metallic thread... Best, Vance

Posted by: steve stanfill (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 09:22PM

Darby
E-mail Mike barkley, He has a tutorial on single band trim wraps using two methods,super glue and tag ends pulled under the main wrap. I have it but not sure how to send it. Mike's always willing to help out.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: March 01, 2008 02:21AM

i used gold metallic thread as the trim and regular gold as the main wrap, no CP. like i said, i used a pin to aply just a tad where i wanted the trim to start, out of sight on the underside. it's messy. the dab worked fine with the pin but holding the tip of the trim thread was challenging. i tried to use the tip of the pin to hold it there and ended up using a bit of my finger as well. careful not to glue yourself to the blank! the glue itself is runny and thin, and so after i was finished i saw how it semed to spread throughouta small area of the main thread too. but in the end it looks fine.

Date: March 01, 2008 09:16AM

Eric...

The gel super glue has been my choice for this, so there is more control (no spreading).

I'm hoping to identify a friendlier fast-curing glue (something other than CA "super" glue) that can be used for single thread wraps...

Maybe someone will answer up with a candidate glue.

I just finished a 6'6" 2 weight dark green H&H blank with green thread (no CP) and single thread NCP grey trim wraps. It's beautiful. Very classy.

Best,

Vance

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster