I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question about a wrap...
Posted by: Burton Short (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: February 29, 2008 10:03AM

I'm just starting a closed wrap and I am having some problems keeping the thread packed. i've only got about 4 passes on the rod but it doesn't seem to want to pack very well. Will it start to pack better when I have put more passes on it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question about a wrap...
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: February 29, 2008 10:28AM

May be that you are wrapping too tightly.

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: February 29, 2008 10:50AM

Every time you cross the center, the thread will want to separate at that point. To some extent, you can handle this better once you've got more thread on it.

One thing to keep in mind, elongated wraps will make packing more difficult. Compressed wraps will be easier to pack.

Finally, any time you can wrap more than one thread per pass, do so. The end result will be much easier to pack and will look just as good.

Date: February 29, 2008 10:51AM

I think I may have figured out one thing that I was doing wrong. I wrapped all of my threads to the right and then all of the return threads instead of alternating. I've been alternating on the last two passes and things seem to be snugging up much better.

Ellis, I don't think that I'm getting the threads too tight since I am wrapping single strands with my hands but I will try and adjust to see if a little looser wrap will help.

Date: February 29, 2008 10:55AM

Thanks Tom. Now that I have a couple more passes things are starting to snug up a little easier. I will try the two thread wrap but I'm not sure my fat little fingers can do it with out themn crossing over each other.

Date: February 29, 2008 11:49AM

Well, one thing is for sure. I certainly have a much greater appreciation for what I've seen others accomplish with their thread wraps. This takes FOREVER! I've put about 15 hours in and I've only gotten my first 6 passes on. I was hoping to use this rod on a trip I have scheduled in May but now I'm not sure I'll be done.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (160.254.108.---)
Date: February 29, 2008 12:05PM

[visualweave.com]

What I do is get as many threads on teh blank as possible before I pack. Dont' worry about being perfect, just get them on the blank, and pack them later. You will NEVER EVER get threads to lay down perfectly, you will always have to pack. NO need ot pack after every pass, usually wait 4 passes to pack. YOu can can 4 passes with no problem at one time, why pack it 4 times? All that matters is the final product, dont' worry if the threads aren't being laid down perfectly while wrapping, you'll fix them later.

Date: February 29, 2008 01:02PM

Ok, thanks Billy. I think I'm being a little too obsessive.

Posted by: David Boyle (---.dsl.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: March 01, 2008 06:26AM

I just updated the website that Billy referred to above so that the images now show up (they were missing).

Regards
Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster