I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sturgeon Rod??
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 26, 2008 10:09PM

I need to build a 7 foot rod for catching 30-50 lb sturgeon.
Any thoughts on a relatively inexpensive blank for this application?

thanks much
Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sturgeon Rod??
Posted by: Bob Thurman (---.oregoncoast.com)
Date: February 26, 2008 10:50PM

Where are you fishing?

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: February 27, 2008 01:30AM

Can't help you if we don't know the area as sturgeon fishing can take from 3 to 48 ozs of weight to hold in current or tidal conditions. Green or white sturgeon as the target species would also help.

Date: February 27, 2008 11:48AM

Bob,
We are fishing at Lake of the Woods in Canada. Most of the fish run about 20-25 lbs, but there are some fish that will run 50-60 lbs.

Thanks much

Roger

Posted by: Chia-Chien Goh (144.92.118.---)
Date: February 27, 2008 04:03PM

Gatorglass ....the heavy kingfish model rated for 15-50 pound line test. The tip is light enough to detect the bites w/o overly alerting the fish and it's got great butt power...and it's inexpensive. I might be a touch off on the lower end number for the line test. I've been thinking about that blank for a similar application. Just my two cents.

Posted by: RON NIX (---.dca.untd.com)
Date: February 27, 2008 06:38PM

ROGER;

Batson Enterprises had some E-glass blanks as well that you might take a look at. They have a graphite/E-glass blend series that are a little more money, but sound interesting... Both in the boat rod length you are looking for.

Ron.

Posted by: Drew Smith (---.dial.gorge.net)
Date: February 27, 2008 09:42PM

I built a great sturgeon boat rod using a Rainshadow SWS65MH. It is a 6'6" rod, with a Stuart Tuff-Butt, which lengthened it out to 7'. It is a blend of RX4 graphite and glass, and labeled as a live bait rod. The tip is pretty soft, which aids in seeing the ta[-tap-tap without the fish feeling the rod, but the butt has a lot of strenght in it for lifting. I outfish ugly stick glass rods 3:1 with this rod, mostly due to the soft tip. I run 50lb braid, no problem. Cost was $54 at cabelas. I'll post a pic if I get a free minute.

Posted by: Bob Thurman (---.oregoncoast.com)
Date: February 27, 2008 10:14PM

That is a little out of my area... OK allot. I would be looking at the live bait blanks if current is slow or a non issue and sinker is light. Lamiglas or RainShadow rated 15 and up maybe. I've never fished for them in a lake. How big is a big one?

Date: February 27, 2008 11:21PM

Bob,
A good friend of mine that passed away a few yeas ago held the world record for sturgeon on 12 lb test line.
This fish was caught in Yellow Lake, near Grantsburg Wi.

The fish was 115 lbs. When he had the DNR check the fish, before releasing it; the DNR estimated the age of the fish at 125 years old. Always a good idea to release these senior fish that have survived the rigors for so many years.

--
Where we are fishing, the most of the fish run about 20-30 lbs, with some up to 50 or 60 and now and then up to an 80 or 90 lb fish.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Wylie Wiggins (---.cpe.cableone.net)
Date: February 28, 2008 03:36AM

Check your emails Roger.

Tight wraps and lines,
Wylie

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: February 28, 2008 10:22AM

Roger,
The Lamiglas GFC84H was designed for catching keeper sturgeon on the Columbia river.

7' 1pc. 20-50 lb. size 7 top just perfect for detecting that very subtle bite with the back end to handle the oversize fish if needed.

Todd

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Bill Batson (---.olympus.net)
Date: February 28, 2008 01:59PM

Roger,
The Sturgeon fishery on the Columbia River is one of my favorite fisheries. There are 3 different blanks that I personally use for this application. The sturgeon we target are the Keeper size ( 45" - 60") and weigh between the 20-50 lb range. But we also sometimes hook the oversize sturgeon up to 10' and 200 lbs. All three of these rods have hooked and landed all sizes of these great fish, obviously with great care( straight rodding) on the oversize. I personally fish this specie about 6 times a year (Karry fishes it more) but we both enjoy our time on the water.
RAINSHADOW>>>
SWS597 = This is my favorite as it has a very light tip (5.5) to see the light tap, tap of the fish @#$%& in the bait> with alot of backbone. I have this rod Spiral wrapped and fish braid on it. I have all these blanks with the Carbon fiber Butt Section or a Slick butt, this makes it easier to pull from the rod holder>>MSRP = $67.04
RCLB80XL - This is one of our most popular all around blanks and is very durable but it also has a nice light tip > These are in our Live Bait series that has sold THOUSANDS in the past year>>this is a Graphite /E-glass Blend>>MSRP $45.64
SWB80L or ML = Both of these are all E-Glass and have a nice Fast action and are VERY Durable. This series has sold ten of thousands for many different applications. This was my first Sturgeon Rod many years ago and it still travels with me on my fishing trips to the Columbia River, it actually got broke in half in a non fishing accident and I sent it to Ralph O'Quinn to fix. MSRP = $36.70
Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions>>As you can see other have also recommended the Batson/ Rainsahdow Blanks..
Thanik you>>

Bill Batson
CEO
Batson Enterprises
Rainshadow/Forecast/ALPS Product lines
www.batsonenterprises.com
batson@batsoenterprises.com
877-875-2381

Date: February 28, 2008 10:45PM

Bill,
Thanks very much for your help and suggestions. I will be going with one or more of your blanks.
Thanks again.
Roger

Posted by: RON NIX (---.dca.untd.com)
Date: February 29, 2008 12:02AM

Yeah, a Rainshadow SWS597...transparent black with a slick butt... spiral wrap with a Penn GTi (left-handed model, of course)... BSTUG guides... metalic blue threads... I can see it now...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster