I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pros & Cons
Posted by: Jeff Leonard (---.mc.net)
Date: February 25, 2008 04:25PM

Anyone that was lucky enough to attend the show and get a good look at both @#$%& and VisualWEAVE I would like to hear from you. I am sure both products are high quality but I just wanted some opinions on the pros and cons. I would like to make an educated purchase. Please email me with responses.

Thank You
Jeff Leonard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pros & Cons
Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2008 04:55PM

I attended Dave Boyles VisualWEAVE seminar, and had the pleasure of playing with the beta version prior to release. The software has a fantastic "ghosting" feature that allows you to superimposed between an imported image, and "graph" image ...allowing the user fine tune a pattern rather simply and effectively. The initial set up, sizing, and rotating the image is very straightforward and allows the user to get get a great idea of how the final pattern will orient itself on the blank based on blank diameter, pattern threads, and wrapping thread.

Based on what I saw and heard at the seminar....I gladly paid for my copy of VisualWEAVE.

Posted by: Stan Gregory (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2008 06:03PM

I 'm with Michael.
David Boyle's VisualWeave software was worth waiting for. Greatly enjoyed his software presentation and the software purchase. Also, hie's a genuinely friendly, helpful person.

Stan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2008 06:11PM by Stan Gregory.

Posted by: Capt Neil Faulkner (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 25, 2008 06:07PM

Hi guys,

I also am interested in the Visual Weave program. My problem is that I just plain stink using a PC. Is the program REALLY user friendly???

Capt Neil Faulkner

Posted by: Michael Joyce (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2008 07:02PM

Neil....I'm no genius when it comes to a computor either. The programs help file can be printed out so you can read along or quickly search any confusing aspect without having to start what I call the "click here" experiment.

The VisualWEAVE/WRAP website will be there for support. or you could always just bug Billy if you really get stuck.

Sorry you missed the show.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: February 25, 2008 07:38PM

I talked with Doc about pic to weave and went to Dave's seminar after doing both I really couldn't see where you would go wrong buying either one. I decided to buy Visual Weave mostly because Dave was there and I like Visual Wrap. Both programs although they try to make themselves different, after talking and seeing I think they are really pretty similar in alot of respects. I'm sure this doesn't help much to sway you one way or the other but that is just my thoughts. Scott

Posted by: Fred Yarmolowicz (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: February 25, 2008 10:27PM

And as usual Mike had a creative way of paying for it!!!! Happy birthday Dave!

Freddwhy (Rapt-Ryte)

Posted by: Bob Turpen (---.219.140.67.ip.alltel.net)
Date: February 26, 2008 07:22AM

Hey Neil. . . If you'd like to drop me a note at turpenbob@hotmail.com, I'll share my experience with Visual Wrap. I found the learning curve to be pretty high.

Bob Turpen
Lake Lanier
Dawsonville, GA

Posted by: Billy Vivona (207.10.148.---)
Date: February 26, 2008 09:19AM

VisualWrap teh learnign curve is pretty high, that has never been a secret adn Dave has been up front about that since Day 1, as I have. Yet, there are hundreds of people who have no problem usign VW because they were able to overcome the learning curve. I'm sur ethere are people who are upset that PhotoShop has a pretty high learnign curve, but that's not the topic being discussed here.

VisualWeave is NOT VisualWrap. VWV is MUCH easier to use. Wha tI personally like about VWV (even though I have yet to weave) - you enter the diameter of the blank where the weave will reside, enter how much you want the weave to wrap around the blank, and VWV tells you the number of threads and length of the finsihed weave based on teh thread sizes you use.

With VisualWeave, you can import an image and allow the program to "fill in" the grid/graph paper for you. For those who have used the graph paper method to create your weave patterns & left lists, what this means is teh entire image will be "colored in" on teh graph paper for you. no need to trace the image and manually create teh entire image on graph paper by coloring in squares, VisualWeave does that for you. You will need to go in and "clean up" the image, but the Ghost feature makes that easy.

For a Tutorial which I put together on the NERBs site so you can see a quickie how to on VWV and some of it's features: [www.northeastrodbuilders.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2008 09:37AM by Billy Vivona.

Posted by: Owen Dare (---.static.dsl.dodo.com.au)
Date: February 27, 2008 03:46AM

I am sure that those people trying to decide what is the best choice for them with regards to weave software do not want to hear from those on this board with a vested interest in any of the available packages.
Therefore I will offer no comment on that matter here.
What I will say is that anyone is welcome to participate in the @#$%& community (regardless of whether they own the product or not) and to ask questions about the software, or just weaving in general.
Sandy & I both love the craft and are genuinely happy that regardless of how anyone chooses to develop their own designs, the art of weaving looks set to enjoy a boost of creativity.

Owen & Sandy Dare

[]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster